The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3800
Original post by sunfowers01
What are your tips for learning a language?

As someone's already mentioned, speaking is key, even if you know a very small amount of the language! If you can, find others to speak to (it helps with your listening skills too) or if not, speaking to yourself is perfectly fine :tongue: Watching movies or listening to the radio in your target language are also good for listening practise, and reading books in the language obviously helps with reading skills. Kids' books or a book that you're very familiar with in the target language (for example I'm getting Harry Potter in Italian) could be an idea!! :smile:

Of course you'll probably need to study grammar and vocabulary too, but there are ways of making it fun! Memrise is good for vocabulary and Duolingo for grammar, I've found. :smile:

Which language(s) are you learning/do you want to learn?
During my current trip to Russia, I'm practising my Russian on everyone who my family meets. :smile:

I also bought 4 MP3 CDs full of Russian music (one of them is half Russian, half English) so that brings it to 800 songs in total :eek:
As well as listening to them, I'm also going to manually write the transliterations in the original Russian form as the CD structure is far different to any other CDs. Still, you can buy an entire artist's discography on one disc if you want to, in Russia.
Reply 3802
Original post by thatitootoo
Dutch & German, Oui! :biggrin:

Awesome :biggrin:
Original post by sunfowers01
What are your tips for learning a language?

Music is very important for preparing for the listening exams. When I visit the target country, I just buy loads of music on CDs and listen to them.

Also, try to get your favourite movies and TV shows in the dubbed foreign language. It may be really difficult to try and get them though.
Original post by EmilyJayne14
As someone's already mentioned, speaking is key, even if you know a very small amount of the language! If you can, find others to speak to (it helps with your listening skills too) or if not, speaking to yourself is perfectly fine :tongue: Watching movies or listening to the radio in your target language are also good for listening practise, and reading books in the language obviously helps with reading skills. Kids' books or a book that you're very familiar with in the target language (for example I'm getting Harry Potter in Italian) could be an idea!! :smile:

Of course you'll probably need to study grammar and vocabulary too, but there are ways of making it fun! Memrise is good for vocabulary and Duolingo for grammar, I've found. :smile:

I've read Matilda in Spanish and I am part-way through the first Harry Potter book in French. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3805
Original post by tess_rach
I've read Matilda in Spanish and I am part-way through the first Harry Potter book in French. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never thought of getting books like Roald Dahl in another language, but it's a great idea!! We've got the entire series of Harry Potter in French in our school library, but since I'm starting AS Italian next year (Year 11) I thought that Italian Harry Potter would be more useful :smile:
I've never thought of getting books like Roald Dahl in another language, but it's a great idea!! We've got the entire series of Harry Potter in French in our school library, but since I'm starting AS Italian next year (Year 11) I thought that Italian Harry Potter would be more useful :smile:

It was really useful, because it had the same pictures! (And OK, it wasn't mine, it was my Spanish teacher's, but still :smile:) And fair enough, if you're doing Italian I can see your point :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3807
It was really useful, because it had the same pictures! (And OK, it wasn't mine, it was my Spanish teacher's, but still :smile:) And fair enough, if you're doing Italian I can see your point :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, awesome! Our French teacher lends out French books (kids' ones) and French films- she's from France, and she has a lot of them :smile:
Original post by constantmeowage
Indeed it is :smile: I use it for Brazilian Portuguese, it is very useful :redface:

:ahee: it's good, as I'm just using the mini iPad my dad gave me... And I can hear people speak! :lol:

I've used Duolingo before, it annoyed me though for some reason so I haven't for a while :tongue: I might go back to it to revisit Spanish, mais le français et italien étaient trop facile! Je préfère Memrise, ça m'aide beaucoup de apprendre chinois!

I like it, it's easier than memorizing stuff, I've learnt a bit easier with it!

Chinese is a different game
Reply 3809
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I like it, it's easier than memorizing stuff, I've learnt a bit easier with it!

Chinese is a different game

I know, it's quite good and I learnt a lot when I first did Spanish on it. I think what annoys me is that you have to get it exactly right and it won't accept variations that are perfectly acceptable :s-smilie:

Chinese is indeed a different game! That's why I think Memrise is good- I'm doing the HSK level one course, and it matches the meaning with the symbol, then it matches the pinyin with the symbols!! I actually understand how and why the symbols are used and how they link together if you know what I mean, it's so amazing :biggrin:
I know, it's quite good and I learnt a lot when I first did Spanish on it. I think what annoys me is that you have to get it exactly right and it won't accept variations that are perfectly acceptable :s-smilie:

Chinese is indeed a different game! That's why I think Memrise is good- I'm doing the HSK level one course, and it matches the meaning with the symbol, then it matches the pinyin with the symbols!! I actually understand how and why the symbols are used and how they link together if you know what I mean, it's so amazing :biggrin:

It does accept loads of variances!

I don't :frown:

I'm actually teaching English to Spanish students and am looking into creating a blog.

Your tips are very good. Thank you.
'Je pense que c'est amusant' looks right :smile:

Merci! It feels trivial asking, but it seems neither familiar not right :colondollar:
Original post by aasvogel
Partly yes, what about if you were asked 'What do you think?' and you were to reply 'I think it's funny!'? Is it 'je pense que c'est amusant'?
Merci. :smile:

Oui, tu as raison :smile:
Just downloaded Duolingo after hearing you all rave about it and it's really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just downloaded Duolingo after hearing you all rave about it and it's really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:awesome: which language?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:awesome: which language?

German and Spanish but I'm trying to cheat the Spanish to get to a higher level as you'd think a predicted A* at GCSE would get you somewhere :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't want to do A2 German
Now I'm not sure if I want to do AS German
I want to do the GCSE :yep:
Reply 3818
Hello everyone!

I'm in year 10 and this year I am finishing my French GCSE (this is early for my school and I am the only person). Next year, as my teachers have advised against doing AS, I will be doing both Spanish and Italian GCSEs. Due to out of school study, my Italian R&L is at A* standard and writing and speaking are coming along nicely. However, I haven't done Spanish since year 7 and remember very little, and apparently I will be doing my first speaking/writing in October/November! This gives me a grand total of around three months to get my Spanish to a reasonable level (I'd quite like an A*). Combined with Italian at home and keeping my French current ready for year 12, I see that this may be slightly difficult. :-) Any tips?

Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thatitootoo
I didn't want to do A2 German
Now I'm not sure if I want to do AS German
I want to do the GCSE :yep:

Pourquoi est-ce que vous êtes si indécis?! :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending