The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tess_rach
German and Spanish but I'm trying to cheat the Spanish to get to a higher level as you'd think a predicted A* at GCSE would get you somewhere :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I put my little brother (he's 7) on it... For french! Hopefully he'll learn
Can anyone think of a way to teach a seven year old the definite and indefinite articles?:lol: with the whole masculine and feminine...
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Can anyone think of a way to teach a seven year old the definite and indefinite articles?:lol: with the whole masculine and feminine...

What's the problem? :mmm:

To be honest, I think it at that age it's better to teach through immersion. Immerse them in it and point out their mistakes to point them in the right direction.
Original post by MangoFreak
What's the problem? :mmm:

Original post by constantmeowage
To be honest, I think it at that age it's better to teach through immersion. Immerse them in it and point out their mistakes to point them in the right direction.

Okay, I'm gonna speak to him in French... His pronunciation is :facepalm: :teehee:
Original post by constantmeowage
Pourquoi est-ce que vous êtes si indécis?! :wink:

Ik heb geen idee :tongue: Ik zie een probleem, ik vind een oplossing!
Dat is toch goed!? :wink:
I would love to know whether there is a difference in the usage of the words 'town' and 'city' in English. I personally would use the word 'town', if the population is smaller than 20,000 inhabitants and 'city', if the population amounts to 100,000 inhabitants at least.
Reply 3827
Original post by Kallisto
I would love to know whether there is a difference in the usage of the words 'town' and 'city' in English. I personally would use the word 'town', if the population is smaller than 20,000 inhabitants and 'city', if the population amounts to 100,000 inhabitants at least.

What do you use for a place between 20k and 100k then? :teehee:

From my experience talking to Dane(s) about this, in the UK we tend to view much larger settlements as towns than they do. I expect the German view on what a city is versus a town might also differ a lot.

Everything you might wish to know is probably here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_status_in_the_United_Kingdom

As you can see from the link, traditionally a settlement had to have a cathedral to be conferred city status, although that is no longer a requirement.

My hometown has a population of 42,000 according to Wikipedia. The closest town to it has 142,000 inhabitants but is not a city.
(edited 10 years ago)
Not the college! :eek: in the college there are LOTS! Although a lot less compared to my school... Which was probably 50+% Muslim!

Cardiff itself is quite diverse I think, but certain areas are home to certain ethnic backgrounds. Eg if you asked me where Bengalis or Somalis lived, I'd give you an area.

I meant 3 in my French class at most, including me.
C'est bien! I am relieved; I was feeling really sorry for you! :rofl2:

I think three in a class is enough for the school to take Ramadan into consideration to see if it is possible to schedule trips around it. Might not be possible, but they should check.
Combien de gens dans la classe française? Moins que dix? :tongue:
Original post by Octopus_Garden
C'est bien! I am relieved; I was feeling really sorry for you! :rofl2:

I think three in a class is enough for the school to take Ramadan into consideration to see if it is possible to schedule trips around it. Might not be possible, but they should check.
Combien de gens dans la classe française? Moins que dix? :tongue:

:ahee: il y a trop de musulmans :mmm:

I was in the second group, and there were about... 20? This was taster though, don't know how many will actually take it or not drop out
We've all seen the thread entitled "5 AS levels too much?"
Aber was hältst du von meine Idee, nächstes Schuljahr...3 AS + 4 GCSEs zu machen?
Das ist alles was ich brauche...? :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
^ speak French,or Spanish, or Italian. I've decided to forget German :ahee:
Reply 3832
It does accept loads of variances!

I don't :frown:

Aha, it didn't when I last went on there :tongue:

:frown:

Original post by aasvogel
Merci! It feels trivial asking, but it seems neither familiar not right :colondollar:

I know what you mean, but it's good to ask :smile:

Original post by Krollo
Hello everyone!

I'm in year 10 and this year I am finishing my French GCSE (this is early for my school and I am the only person). Next year, as my teachers have advised against doing AS, I will be doing both Spanish and Italian GCSEs. Due to out of school study, my Italian R&L is at A* standard and writing and speaking are coming along nicely. However, I haven't done Spanish since year 7 and remember very little, and apparently I will be doing my first speaking/writing in October/November! This gives me a grand total of around three months to get my Spanish to a reasonable level (I'd quite like an A*). Combined with Italian at home and keeping my French current ready for year 12, I see that this may be slightly difficult. :-) Any tips?

Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wahey, another Year 10 who likes languages!! :five: I finished a GCSE language (Italian) in Year 10 too! You could use Duolingo for the basics, and I suppose just brushing up on the tenses and learning vocab is what you need to do. Do you know the topic of the speaking/writing? Also, which exam board are you on??

I want to try and self-teach Spanish to GCSE level over the summer (I learnt Spanish in Year 8/9 but chose French and Italian instead for GCSE). If I can do that, I'm going to ask my language teachers whether I can be submitted for the Spanish GCSE but not go to the lessons. Since we've got a similar amount of time to make our Spanish reasonable again, we could help each other, if you want?? :smile:

Original post by sunfowers01
I'm actually teaching English to Spanish students and am looking into creating a blog.

Your tips are very good. Thank you.

Ah okay, sounds good!! No problem!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by EmilyJayne14
x

Hablas español?:colone: comenzó el idioma juntos :biggrin:
Reply 3834
Hablas español?:colone: comenzó el idioma juntos :biggrin:

Hablo un poco... No recuerdo mucho! :tongue:
Hablo un poco... No recuerdo mucho! :tongue:

Porqué? mucho parablos, no son útil :facepalm:
Reply 3836
Porqué? mucho parablos, no son útil :facepalm:

Porqué dejé de estudiar hace un año, y estudié sólo los básicos! Pero español es bastante similar a la italiana, así espero que puedo aprendar de nuevo rápidamente!
Porqué dejé de estudiar hace un año, y estudié sólo los básicos! Pero español es bastante similar a la italiana, así espero que puedo aprendar de nuevo rápidamente!

Aaah, you'll pick it up quickly then
Original post by thatitootoo
We've all seen the thread entitled "5 AS levels too much?"
Aber was hältst du von meine Idee, nächstes Schuljahr...3 AS + 4 GCSEs zu machen?
Das ist alles was ich brauche...? :redface:

Wenn ich nach Australie nicht fahren würde, würde ich 8 ASs höffentlich machen :mmm:
Reply 3839
Aaah, you'll pick it up quickly then

Hopefully!! I probably should start trying to pick it up soon, I'll probably go on Duolingo or something later :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending