The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
How about being UEFA cup runners up in 2000 and being embarrassed by teams in that group stage? Oh wait you don't remember that?

I havent heard an Arsenal fan even talk about that in literally years, and doubt Ive ever heard an Arsenal fan brag about it. For what its worth, that was one of our first years in the CL and so it took us a while to get used to the competition, and we absolutely battered Gala in the final but somehow lost. Either way, I'd have taken progression to the next round of the CL over being finalists in the Uefa.

Not hating on Chelsea winning the EL, its a trophy. But I wouldnt come onto the Man Utd forum bragging about it that's for sure...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
I havent heard an Arsenal fan even talk about that in literally years, and doubt Ive ever heard an Arsenal fan brag about it. For what its worth, that was one of our first years in the CL and so it took us a while to get used to the competition, and we absolutely battered Gala in the final but somehow lost. Either way, I'd have taken progression to the next round of the CL over being finalists in the Uefa.

Not hating on Chelsea winning the EL, its a trophy. But I wouldnt come onto the Man Utd forum bragging about it that's for sure...

TBF I'd take a QF instead of europa but a R16 pasting each year i'd rather just take 20m and then try and win the europa
Original post by jam277
TBF I'd take a QF instead of europa but a R16 pasting each year i'd rather just take 20m and then try and win the europa

The revenue is important for clubs who try to pay their own way in the world...
Original post by Zürich
The revenue is important for clubs who try to pay their own way in the world...

FFP...
Marca reporting that Thiago rejected us because we wouldn't but a clause in his contract guaranteeing him game time, wouldn't be surprised if that was true.

Original post by xDave-

Appaz Moyes said this, according to Goal.com:

Doesn't sound like we're that bothered about Rooney then anyway.

Original post by Akkuz
Wayne Rooney will not be offered an extension to his Manchester United deal http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8823619/Wayne-Rooney-will-not-be-offered-an-extension-to-his-Manchester-United-deal

Not sure what to make of this. Do we want a club to come in with an offer..? Or maybe, he's refused a contract.

Looks like he's off then, don't think he will be happy about being told he is basically Van Persie back up either.
(edited 10 years ago)
Bit worried so far to be honest. No signings in, Moyes cannot confirm whether Rooney wants to stay or not, loss in Thailand. Not what I'm looking for. I want 2-3 signings, Rooney situation sorted stay or leave, and signings. Still, Ferguson lost 2-0 to Oxford United in his first game.

Thiago being linked with Barcelona. Can't understand why we haven't wrapped it up yet. Need signings Davey boy. Get rid of Anderson.
Reply 6306
Well...David Moyes says he has money to spend this summer, with Manchester United looking to land 'the best players' around.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8823765/Transfer-news-David-Moyes-says-Manchester-United-have-money-to-spend

Inb4 Baines & Fellaini.

No idea who he's talking about because all the best players have been bought already or are not for sale.
Original post by Akkuz
Well...David Moyes says he has money to spend this summer, with Manchester United looking to land 'the best players' around.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8823765/Transfer-news-David-Moyes-says-Manchester-United-have-money-to-spend

Inb4 Baines & Fellaini.

No idea who he's talking about because all the best players have been bought already or are not for sale.

Practically everyone's for sale for the right price.
Reply 6308
Original post by Akkuz
Wayne Rooney will not be offered an extension to his Manchester United deal http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8823619/Wayne-Rooney-will-not-be-offered-an-extension-to-his-Manchester-United-deal

Not sure what to make of this. Do we want a club to come in with an offer..? Or maybe, he's refused a contract.

the fact that WR is not going to get a contract this year is good ... UTD are in the driving seat.. he will need to put in a stellar shift next this season to get the contract and if he doesn't will be sold or UTD will let his contract run down where he will way past his peak...or WR hands a transfer request and a 30-37 mil bid comes in this summer..don't know where this 20 mil fee is coming from
Reply 6309
Original post by DaveSmith99
Practically everyone's for sale for the right price.

Maybe, though the right price has become something on the wrong side of 40-50m for someone world class these days, which I can't see us paying.

And, even if we were to, what players are we likely to buy? I can't think of anyone, the only hope is that Thiago is still considering us. The Daily Mail wrote something about De Rossi being left out of Roma's pre-season training, but he's almost 30 and seems to be on his way to Chelsea anyway. It's hardly likely we're going to buy Wilshere or Marchisio, despite United being stronger than those two clubs they're from (though Juventus is debatable now I'd say). I don't see where this world class midfielder (as Moyes says we only want the best) is coming from.

Maybe he's referring to other areas, and I'd agree we need to strengthen those, but CM is looking disastrous right now. Carrick is our only competent, fit midfielder, and that latter part could change at any second. Even if we buy Thiago, that means we only have 2 good midfielders. Need to pray Cleverley can resume the form he was showing early in the last two seasons, faded away last year.
Reply 6310
Rooney :awesome:

Spoiler

Original post by xDave-
Maybe, though the right price has become something on the wrong side of 40-50m for someone world class these days, which I can't see us paying.

And, even if we were to, what players are we likely to buy? I can't think of anyone, the only hope is that Thiago is still considering us. The Daily Mail wrote something about De Rossi being left out of Roma's pre-season training, but he's almost 30 and seems to be on his way to Chelsea anyway. It's hardly likely we're going to buy Wilshere or Marchisio, despite United being stronger than those two clubs they're from (though Juventus is debatable now I'd say). I don't see where this world class midfielder (as Moyes says we only want the best) is coming from.

Maybe he's referring to other areas, and I'd agree we need to strengthen those, but CM is looking disastrous right now. Carrick is our only competent, fit midfielder, and that latter part could change at any second. Even if we buy Thiago, that means we only have 2 good midfielders. Need to pray Cleverley can resume the form he was showing early in the last two seasons, faded away last year.

If that's what you have to pay then thats what you have to pay. We can't just soldier on with a midfield that lacks quality and depth because theres 'no value in the market', not if we expect to win anything anyway. We aren't a club thats short of money so we should stop acting like one. As for who we should sign, I have no idea, but if we put enough money on the table then players like Gundogan and Bender will become available.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Akkuz

Inb4 Baines & Fellaini.

I'm glad that Moyes said United are short in the midfield department so at least we know that he is looking to improve it.
Reply 6313
Original post by Akkuz
Rooney :awesome:

Spoiler

Sorry I didn't mean to neg you earlier, I was on my phone and just scrolling down.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8823955/Transfer-news-Matthias-Sammer-says-Thiago-Alcantara-to-Bayern-Munich-is-not-a-done-deal

More media flip flopping on Thiago.

What annoys me is that what we know about his situation is the same as it was in June. He's contracted to Barca, he wants to play more games and make it into the World Cup squad, his dad met United officials, Bayern and United are his most likely destinations if he leaves.

But every tentative link with either team is jumped upon by the media.

The story is, he's making his mind up while he still can.

I actually think he'll stay now.

I'm just as bad as the ITKs for posting this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Akkuz

Inb4 Baines & Fellaini.

No budget constraints?

Yeah, the club has really shown that over the last few years...
Original post by jam277
I'll say this now and I'll say it again if you watched hulk the past year you would not say he's world class as he's been shocking. The second bit I'm talking about key midfield signings like moura sneijder nasri haard signings that your team needed(although you got kagawa tbf). I didn't say this summer either

He does it way too much tbh it gets boring and that welbeck gif is too funny

That bit of 'skill' from Welbeck was a reminder of why he is one of my least favourite players in our squad. Hopefully he can turn out to be our new Ji Sung Park. Already signs last year that he's heading towards that direction.
Reply 6317
Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8823955/Transfer-news-Matthias-Sammer-says-Thiago-Alcantara-to-Bayern-Munich-is-not-a-done-deal

More media flip flopping on Thiago.

What annoys me is that what we know about his situation is the same as it was in June. He's contracted to Barca, he wants to play more games and make it into the World Cup squad, his dad met United officials, Bayern and United are his most likely destinations if he leaves.

But every tentative link with either team is jumped upon by the media.

The story is, he's making his mind up while he still can.

I actually think he'll stay now.

I'm just as bad as the ITKs for posting this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guillem Balague confirms Thiago will join bayern and says Moyes doubted Thiago in the PL.
Original post by cost
Guillem Balague confirms Thiago will join bayern and says Moyes doubted Thiago in the PL.

Just read him on twitter.

I'm sorry but that's bizarre. There are plenty of Spanish players with a similar style and build to Thiago in the PL.

I'll wait for official confirmation on his move to get irritated, but Balague is usually reliable.

If what he says is true, particularly about Moyes' doubts, then I seriously question his judgement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6319
Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt
Just read him on twitter.

I'm sorry but that's bizarre. There are plenty of Spanish players with a similar style and build to Thiago in the PL.

I'll wait for official confirmation on his move to get irritated, but Balague is usually reliable.

If what he says is true, particularly about Moyes' doubts, then I seriously question his judgement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does seem an odd reason. Thiago would still be an improvement on Anderson. :tongue:

Latest