The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PonchoKid
Haha providing we have money we will deffinately come camping :biggrin: just dont eat me :tongue:

He woke up wondering why i was moving my pillows to the bottom of the bed... Haha
Hes gone back to snoring...

He can share your tent :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Print the money yourself if necessary, you and Rory must come camping!

If you say a person's name, they stop snoring momentarily.

I'm not sure he would agree to that... there was a certain occasion when I thought it would be hilarious to leap wolf-like on top of his pop-up tent, only for him to vomit shortly after........

Original post by Sabertooth
Bah. Was happily working on my dissertation when my wife's mum comes in the room and starts watching Homeland. The characters kept saying stuff about my life and what I have to do in the next few weeks. I do NOT want to do it but the show and the walls and the voice are all urging me onwards. Now I'm in the kitchen feeling super paranoid and unable to write another word for the dissertation. I can still hear that damn program and it's commands.

:hugs: That really sucks. But always remember that border line between stuff that happens in the world we all live in, and stuff that happens only in the world that you live in. You're doing good by working on your dissertation, but don't let it stress you out too much. There's nothing you 'need' to do, except what you decide for yourself. :smile:

Original post by Anonymous
No worries. :smile: Sleeping on trains is always good! So soothing! I always get worried I'll fall asleep and miss my stop though... :redface: Not happened though. Yet.

Talk soon yes? Hope all is well with you.

Mmm, is the best. I've had people shake me awake at the end of the line before, but always when I was getting off at that stop. :tongue:

Definitely. :smile: Just a little preoccupied with dissertation/house-hunting/general life getting in the way of things. :tongue:
Reply 4341
Original post by zonkfrog
Feel like the last piece of my world just broke. The last person standing just walked out my life. I am actually now 100% alone.

Do you have any family close by you can fall to?
Original post by superwolf

Another thing that works is poking the person until they turn over. Careful they don't turn and smash their head into the wall though. :no:

[QUOTE=superwolf;43531910:hugs: That really sucks. But always remember that border line between stuff that happens in the world we all live in, and stuff that happens only in the world that you live in. You're doing good by working on your dissertation, but don't let it stress you out too much. There's nothing you 'need' to do, except what you decide for yourself. :)

I am trying to decide not to do it but the impetus to do it is pretty ****ing strong. I just want to be left alone for a while.
Print the money yourself if necessary, you and Rory must come camping!

I'm not sure he would agree to that... there was a certain occasion when I thought it would be hilarious to leap wolf-like on top of his pop-up tent, only for him to vomit shortly after........

Haha i told you he has a back garden :ninja: fix it so its dorset way and theres more of a chance we can make it :yep:

Hes woken up now and appologised for using me as a bed :yep:

Hahaha hes been warned if he vomits near me i will walk off in the opposite direction :smile: im such a kind girlfriend you see :tongue:
However i do wish i saw that! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james1211
Is this the right thread to talk about depression in?

Hi. :smile: Yes it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just feel i need some kind of support to fall back on at the minute. I've been slipping into depression recently and sometimes have mild panic attacks. I've tried other online communities but none seem very active.

Sorry for the double quote. I should really read all posts before replying XD oops

I can sympathise, as can a lot of the people here. I've found this group to be very active and friendly- they even have regular meets! Hope we can be of some help.
As you've looked at some support groups online I assume you've already read up on depression quite a bit? Have you ever seen a professional about it?

Maybe you've been triggered recently? If its a trigger like exams or results remember it will end soon enough so try not to worry too much about it (although that's usually easier said than done).

Welcome to the group! Feel very free to stick around and share as much or as little as you like :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
Another thing that works is poking the person until they turn over. Careful they don't turn and smash their head into the wall though. :no:

I am trying to decide not to do it but the impetus to do it is pretty ****ing strong. I just want to be left alone for a while.

You speak from past experience? :tongue:

Talk to me about it if you like, and I will persuade you that the sun is blue, the sky is yellow, and all is well with the world. :tongue:

Haha i told you he has a back garden :ninja: fix it so its dorset way and theres more of a chance we can make it :yep:

Hes woken up now and appologised for using me as a bed :yep:

Hahaha hes been warned if he vomits near me i will walk off in the opposite direction :smile: im such a kind girlfriend you see :tongue:
However i do wish i saw that! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dunno, you want me to camp in Rory's garden, my old flatmate wants me to camp in her village (she's got a sausage dog puppy! :biggrin:)... how's a wolf to choose?!

Silly Rory needs to come back online and defend himself!

'Twas a beautiful sight. I'd say more but it would be mean to poor old Rory. :console:
Mmm, is the best. I've had people shake me awake at the end of the line before, but always when I was getting off at that stop. :tongue:

Definitely. :smile: Just a little preoccupied with dissertation/house-hunting/general life getting in the way of things. :tongue:

Haha, at least they did that rather than leave you there! :tongue: Most of the train stations I get off at aren't a terminus sadly. :frown:

Awesome. Know that feeling well. :hugs: :console:
Reply 4348
Original post by Kindred
Sorry for the double quote. I should really read all posts before replying XD oops

I can sympathise, as can a lot of the people here. I've found this group to be very active and friendly- they even have regular meets! Hope we can be of some help.
As you've looked at some support groups online I assume you've already read up on depression quite a bit? Have you ever seen a professional about it?

Maybe you've been triggered recently? If its a trigger like exams or results remember it will end soon enough so try not to worry too much about it (although that's usually easier said than done).

Welcome to the group! Feel very free to stick around and share as much or as little as you like :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It started around 2 weeks ago caused by worries about my future, i feel like i'm almost completely consumed by the future and unable to live in the present. I have regulay anxiety attacks where my heart rate increases and feel irregular (much like heart palpitations), my muscles feel close to too weak to walk properly and i generally feel in despair.

Once it's started the physical effects can go away within an hour but the gut wrenching feeling of pointlessness and terminal failure last sometimes until i fall asleep on a night.

I have a job interview for a placement year in three weeks time and most of my coursemates have already started theirs. If i don't get this placement i'll have to defer my final year until 2016 and spend next academic year looking for a placement for 2015 instead of the current plan of next academic year.

The pressure is so intense i'm finding it impossible to live normally.

I really appreciate having a place like this to feel like i'm not the only person going through troubles.
It started around 2 weeks ago caused by worries about my future, i feel like i'm almost completely consumed by the future and unable to live in the present. I have regulay anxiety attacks where my heart rate increases and feel irregular (much like heart palpitations), my muscles feel close to too weak to walk properly and i generally feel in despair.

Once it's started the physical effects can go away within an hour but the gut wrenching feeling of pointlessness and terminal failure last sometimes until i fall asleep on a night.

I have a job interview for a placement year in three weeks time and most of my coursemates have already started theirs. If i don't get this placement i'll have to defer my final year until 2016 and spend next academic year looking for a placement for 2015 instead of the current plan of next academic year.

The pressure is so intense i'm finding it impossible to live normally.

I really appreciate having a place like this to feel like i'm not the only person going through troubles.

I would suggest you make an apointment to see your GP asap. Before you go in i'd suggest you write up a bit about how you're feeling cos I know I tend to get very daunted by being in there and forget things. What you wrote here is brilliant for that :smile:

You are deffinately not alone in this! :hugs:
Some of the coping stratagies i've found helpful are exercise (like your bike rides), colouring (gets some of the anxiety out of me), breathing techniques when anxious (there are a few but I normally do in for 3 seconds then out for 3), talking (here or with Samaritans), being with friends (it doesn't always make me feel good but it distracts me from worse thoughts and keeps me in reality a bit more) and trying to keep a posotive attitude. It's not as simple as just cheering up but things like CBT (your doctor may tell you about "moodgym" online CBT. It's free and gives you a bit of a taster of what CBT is like) and remembering it's not ME who feelis like this but a condition that's making me have helped me.

I don't have that much experience with anxiety but meditation often helps. When i'm anxious I try to just close my eyes and focus on my breathing instead of anything else. It works more often than not for me. I think it's relitively easy to control the physical symptoms of anxiety. When I told my doc they were able to give me some tablets for when i'm especially anxious. It doesn't get to the cause, that's for things like therapy, but it helps while you're getting there :smile:

Very best of luck with your interview and best wishes.
This is most deffinately one of the nicest support groups out there and we're happy to welcome you into it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friends on her way to get my dissy and essay :s-smilie: gahhhhhh really dont want to fail

Posted from TSR Mobile
Say hello to a failure :hi:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Say hello to a failure :hi:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't care what uni stuff you've got going on, you personally are not a failure. :hugs:
Don't care what uni stuff you've got going on, you personally are not a failure. :hugs:

Failed my degree :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. I feel lonely at the minute and as if i am surrounded by people who are much happier with their lives than me. I am considering seeing my GP but in the mean time i am looking for coping techniques as anxiety and panic attacks are blocking me from living a normal day to day life and most days i can't sleep because i just sit here feeling dreadful.

Welcome to the thread :smile: I feel like this a lot of the time as well :frown: and can relate that you're stressed about finding your uni placement as I'm also very worried about uni at the moment. I feel I have depression more than anxiety though. I would try going to your GP, remember you can request to see someone else in the practice if you feel the first doctor is not helpful enough.
Reply 4355
Original post by Kindred
When i'm anxious I try to just close my eyes and focus on my breathing instead of anything else. It works more often than not for me. I think it's relitively easy to control the physical symptoms of anxiety. When I told my doc they were able to give me some tablets for when i'm especially anxious. It doesn't get to the cause, that's for things like therapy, but it helps while you're getting there :smile:

Very best of luck with your interview and best wishes.

Yeah, I'm keeping notes of my daily moods and things I'd like to raise with him. Like you say sometimes its hard to articulate every feeling you want to get across.

It's nice that you have an active group here, a lot of the online sites are a bit sparse of members. Appreciate it guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, just remember there's more to life than what anyone else can say you've failed at on a piece of paper. This is just one small part of your life, remember how many other things you are successful at that others are not :yep:
Reply 4356

Yep failed my dissertation quite amazingly aswell. Least i fail in style i guess :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear! :hugs: :jumphug:
But you're doing really well considering your situation. You should still be proud of yourself! Just managing to stay in uni is a great achievement (even people without your problems don't manage that!). I am still proud of you and so should you be! :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep failed my dissertation quite amazingly aswell. Least i fail in style i guess :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like kindred says, its a lot more difficult for you than most people, because of things you suffer from that are not your fault :hugs:

Whatever you do next, use this as a catalyst to help you succeed in whatever you choose to do next. Use it to strengthen your resolve. :hugs:

I'll be around in the evening if you want to chat, but i know you have Rory and other people that care for you too :smile: you will be fine :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest