The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
There's been people who organise work exp at some schools I've contacted. I've found them quite helpful.

Academies count. They are still technically state schools. Plus, my last school exp was in an academy that was a national teaching school, so they did schools direct and all sorts of teacher training stuff. I spoke to the person who organises it all and she said they got loads on work exp so I would have thought she would have said if their days were gonna be useless exp - after all, she was the lead person for teacher training admissions partnered with Cumbria uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, reason I asked is because the PGCE I want to go on says under their requirements
A minimum of 10 days recent observation experience in a government funded UK school is required.
and I was under the impression academies aren't goverment funded and don't have to teach the national curriculum. I don't want to waste my time is all.
I'm looking at doing the Primary PGCE at Bath Spa and York St John... and trying to use the coming year to gain some more experience.
Original post by StandardUsername
Hmm, reason I asked is because the PGCE I want to go on says under their requirements and I was under the impression academies aren't goverment funded and don't have to teach the national curriculum. I don't want to waste my time is all.

Academies are still funded by the government, it's just the control of the curriculum which is different. I think what the bit you've quoted is meaning is basically work exp in public schools doesn't count, is all, cos obviously they are privately funded. I'd copy and paste a link to a BBC article about academies that says it but I don't know how to on my phone haha.

Wouldn't worry though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
The first year of my degree was worth 0% so I spent a year living the rock n' roll life style and consequently my grades were pretty poor but will this affect my PGCE application for Primary PGCE.
Original post by wildrover
The first year of my degree was worth 0% so I spent a year living the rock n' roll life style and consequently my grades were pretty poor but will this affect my PGCE application for Primary PGCE.

Don't take my word for this, but no I wouldn't think it would at all. You will find a lot of people do the same as you :P As long as you get at least a 2:2 overall you have a shot at getting on.
From what I read we will now need two references for our application for a PGCE? Has anything else changed? I know we can apply for 3 places at once now and it will be done through UCAS now.
Original post by Chewyy
I'm applying for secondary maths for 2014, anyone have any advice?

Also, does anyone have a good guide somewhere for getting experience?

The School Experience Programme (assuming you are in your final year and are predicted a 2.1+).
Can we begin our application form before the 1st of November so they are ready to send?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by wildrover
Can we begin our application form before the 1st of November so they are ready to send?

I think it will most likely open on the 1st so you probably will not be able to begin it before then but you can have your personal statement ready and remind the people writing you references ahead of time etc.
That's a shame because obviously it takes time for people to get around to adding references to the application and the process is never straight forward.
Original post by polka_dott
From what I read we will now need two references for our application for a PGCE? Has anything else changed? I know we can apply for 3 places at once now and it will be done through UCAS now.

Have you read about how even though we can apply to three at the same time, they now open in two week blocks and the uni decides when this block is. So there is a possibility you may not be able to apply for you chosen three at the same time if their windows don't overlap. It's bloody stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 151
Hey :smile: I'm a bit confused about some of the changes in the system/ in general and wondered if anyone could help me. Does anyone know whether for primary we can only apply for two now and then one other or has that not been specified? Also could anyone point me in the right direction of where the new info is, especially about the two week blocks? When do we have to do the new tests is it before interview or after we apply? Sorry if I sound stupid, just having a bit of a panic after researching today, didn't realise it had all changed. Also, may be a bit random, but can you apply for a MA for the same year your doing a PGCE (obvs not to do both, but in case I don't get in for a PGCE - I get funding for the year after I graduate for being in full time education but it has to be that year). Thanks for anyone who can help and sorry for the lack of paragraphs, can't work out how to!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Callie_
Hey :smile: I'm a bit confused about some of the changes in the system/ in general and wondered if anyone could help me. Does anyone know whether for primary we can only apply for two now and then one other or has that not been specified? Also could anyone point me in the right direction of where the new info is, especially about the two week blocks? When do we have to do the new tests is it before interview or after we apply? Sorry if I sound stupid, just having a bit of a panic after researching today, didn't realise it had all changed. Also, may be a bit random, but can you apply for a MA for the same year your doing a PGCE (obvs not to do both, but in case I don't get in for a PGCE - I get funding for the year after I graduate for being in full time education but it has to be that year). Thanks for anyone who can help and sorry for the lack of paragraphs, can't work out how to!

Helloooo. It is confusing!

Someone posted an excellent UCAS PDF on here explaining the changes. It was on TSR but I can't remember which thread, so sadly I can't find it now! I've been able to find this info for you to look at, which explains some stuff, and then if you look on here it explains a bit more. More specifically:

UCAS
The process begins on 1 November each year.

You can only apply for a course when it's open you can check which are open when you search for courses.
Many courses open immediately, but don't worry if you can't find a course you want there'll be more available later.
Each training provider will have a set plan for when they're opening theirs so keep a look out.
When a course is opened for the first time, it stays open for a minimum of two weeks. If they don't fill all their places the first time they open their course, it might be open again later, but not definitely, and maybe only briefly.

It's worth doing some research into the open dates and what three choices to make. Because you can only apply for a course when it is open, and you have to make your three choices at the same time, you'll want to think carefully about how to use your three choices.

That sort of explains the two week 'opening' session that was talked about in the PDF I'd seen.

I personally see no merit in this open/close system. Why can't all open at the same time and just be like UCAS is with undergrad uni courses?

Oh and also meant to say, you don't have to have done the skills tests when you have an interview. If you get an offer you will be told when you have to take them by. A lot of places leave it until the summer, but some (MMU for example) specify you must take them within six weeks of an offer.
(edited 10 years ago)
I thought I read we need two references - or is it still one written reference by one of two referees on the application?!
Original post by polka_dott
I thought I read we need two references - or is it still one written reference by one of two referees on the application?!

I can't remember about that detail. I wish I hadn't lost that UCAS pdf that was posted. It was excellent. I'm sure if you search on Google something will come up regarding the changes.

I hope it hasn't changed to two. I will be using my uni tutor and my current boss. References are a pain anyway, because even though my uni tutor can comment on me academically, I've hardly spoken to him so he hasn't a clue if I'm suitable to teach. My boss is the opposite - she knows me well and can comment on my personality but has no idea if I'm academically suitable.

Edit- damn! Just reread the link I posted about the changes and just noticed we can no longer apply to school direct as well as PGCE. I'm gutted about this tbh. I was counting on applying to those alongside the PGCE to give me a greater chance, now I feel crap I only have three chances :-(

Further edit - ok seems we do have two references now. One is character based, the other is academic, so it actually works pretty well for what I said above haha.

Couple of questions-

1. Is anyone else worried about their reference's speed? I want to get my application in asap and will be sending the details to my references as soon as I can, but I don't want them to hang about. I don't know how to politely ask them to do it asap!

2. On one of the faqs for providers concerning the changes happening it says something about how providers are expecting more applications on this system compared to gttr. This worries me! Why do these changes mean there may be more applicants?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 155
I am a bit concerned regarding who I can ask to do my written reference. I haven't been in university since 2006 when I graduated and the one lecturer I could probably ask doesn't work at the university any more. Any help with who I should ask would be really appreciated? I could potentially ask my office manager (although this would mean he would have to keep it quiet from my boss), or perhaps a teacher at a school I did experience? Or potentially a current headteacher in a primary school?
Reply 156
Original post by Airfairy
Helloooo. It is confusing!

Someone posted an excellent UCAS PDF on here explaining the changes. It was on TSR but I can't remember which thread, so sadly I can't find it now! I've been able to find this info for you to look at, which explains some stuff, and then if you look on here it explains a bit more. More specifically:

That sort of explains the two week 'opening' session that was talked about in the PDF I'd seen.

I personally see no merit in this open/close system. Why can't all open at the same time and just be like UCAS is with undergrad uni courses?

Oh and also meant to say, you don't have to have done the skills tests when you have an interview. If you get an offer you will be told when you have to take them by. A lot of places leave it until the summer, but some (MMU for example) specify you must take them within six weeks of an offer.

Thank you, that was really helpful!
The open/close thing seems ridiculous really! Plus if we apply for all at the same time, it means more time taken away from uni for me as I'll be in my final year and travelling. I'm worried about the academic reference as well since none of my lecturers or tutors really know me well enough to comment on me specifically as I have such little contact time and they're so focused on research.
Planning to apply for 2014 also, I have work experience lined up for 12 weeks from September until around Christmas or so, doing one day a week in a secondary school. Do you think I should delay my application until I've done all 12 weeks so that I can talk about it? Or should I just explain that in the application and get it in quickly?
Reply 158
Original post by YGB Jammy
Planning to apply for 2014 also, I have work experience lined up for 12 weeks from September until around Christmas or so, doing one day a week in a secondary school. Do you think I should delay my application until I've done all 12 weeks so that I can talk about it? Or should I just explain that in the application and get it in quickly?

The advice I got is to apply as early as you can, referring to the further experience you are due to get in the future. You should have 6 weeks of experience by November anyway, so that's what matters.
Original post by Marcusian
The advice I got is to apply as early as you can, referring to the further experience you are due to get in the future. You should have 6 weeks of experience by November anyway, so that's what matters.

Perhaps I'll compromise and apply 4-6 weeks into my work experience, so then I have something decent to talk about in my application! Thanks for the advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending