The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6400
Original post by Whitechapel
The fact we couldn't get a 22 year old whilst there is a hole in our midfield says something. Why Man Utd has the pulling power of a fat chick in a club is beyond me.

Talk about it, outside the PL we can't attract the top players, maybe we should just buy the PL best player each year and give Anderson a second chance (again).
Original post by sr90
The amount of pessimism in this thread is disturbing. No doubt that the same people will be crying for Moyes to be sacked when we don't beat Swansea 5-0 in our opening game.

Not really. Bayern are a better team and he has worked under Pep Guardiola before. Glad this silly transfer saga is over, far too many gullible people who will believe whatever supposed ITK's tell them.

You remind me of someone.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZzs-OvfG8tE&ei=qBXjUa3SC5Cy7AbpYA&usg=AFQjCNHks7Xyik8mxu8jV-CnSSZAIhWGRQ

About 1:46 in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Either way to miss out on yet another mid is a shambles. Are we destined for fellani
This is why Thiago chose Bayern

[video="youtube;4jkGccbrW1g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4jkGccbrW1g[/video]
Reply 6404
Pretty cool:

Reply 6405
Original post by Zürich
No disrespect to Moyes, but who genuinely dreams of playing under him? His entire career is built upon getting non-glamorous players working their socks off to play well as unit. Not exactly sexy is it?

Having said that, it'd be amazed if you didnt end up spending 30m+ on a midfielder by next month. Your midfield is probably worse than Tottenham's atm...

Our midfield is considerably worse than Tottenham's, and has been for a while tbh. Sandro and Dembele is a fantastic partnership, up there with the very best in the league, and Paulinho looks half decent from the little i've seen of him.

All this talk of CMs, I still think Alex Song is a good shout. Not the stellar name we all want, but I think he'd complement Carrick superbly and would probably represent good value as well.
Reply 6406
im pretty worried about our midfield arsenal and spurs have better midfielders! Moyes says he has an unlimited budget but cant get Thiago... I hope im wrong but i just get this horrible feeling that we wont get any midfielders this summer... God i hope im wrong.
We can't go another summer without buying a midfelder. Although, I have been thinking the same thing for about 5 summers in a row, but I seriously think we're desperate now. Carrick is our only quality. We were lucky that he was fit for all of last season. We couldn't even afford to give him a break, because our midfield is non-existant without him. If he goes down, we're done.

That's not pessimism. It's reality.
Original post by Louis.
Our midfield is considerably worse than Tottenham's, and has been for a while tbh. Sandro and Dembele is a fantastic partnership, up there with the very best in the league, and Paulinho looks half decent from the little i've seen of him.

All this talk of CMs, I still think Alex Song is a good shout. Not the stellar name we all want, but I think he'd complement Carrick superbly and would probably represent good value as well.

He also got into a fight with pique during the trophy parade last year too. I don't think they want to sell. What type of CM/DM is needed anyway? People talk about thiago, then fellaini and strootman who are different players to thiago.
Reply 6409
So Wayne is going to be warming the sub's bench http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8824926/David-Moyes-Wayne-Rooney-needed-at-Man-Utd-as-cover-for-Robin-van-Persie

Hopefully this means a prolonged first-team role for Kagawa.
Original post by Akkuz
So Wayne is going to be warming the sub's bench http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8824926/David-Moyes-Wayne-Rooney-needed-at-Man-Utd-as-cover-for-Robin-van-Persie

Hopefully this means a prolonged first-team role for Kagawa.

I can't see Rooney taking that. He would rather be played out of position, than on the subs bench. Plus, what does it mean for Hernandez? If he has two world class strikers to compete with for 1 spot, will he get the game time he deserves? I guess Hernandez will only be of any use as a super-sub or if Rooney/RVP get injured.

But like you say, it's great for Kagawa. I think he will improve drastically this year, after showing glimpses last year.
Reply 6411
Original post by Manchester United
I can't see Rooney taking that. He would rather be played out of position, than on the subs bench. Plus, what does it mean for Hernandez? If he has two world class strikers to compete with for 1 spot, will he get the game time he deserves? I guess Hernandez will only be of any use as a super-sub or if Rooney/RVP get injured.

I think it's becoming quite apparent that we're saying goodbye to Wayne now.

Original post by sr90
The amount of pessimism in this thread is disturbing.

I don't think it's pessimistic at all. As was just said above, we're being realistic. No one's said we're going to turn into Liverpool, just that we need to strengthen to keep up with our rivals. Speaking specifically of midfield, we've been putting that off for years; Hargreaves got injured, Fletcher went out, Scholes retired (twice), Anderson is constantly injured etc etc. We've had matches, important matches, where we've seen players like Park and Giggs starting in CM; it doesn't take a genius to realise that that's not good enough. Even now, Carrick, our best CM, is turning 32 in a few days, and not getting any younger. One injury and what do we do? Ferguson was talking about putting Nick Powell there, Phil Jones, Wayne Rooney and we've even seen one of the Da Silva twins there if I recall; they're not CMs and they don't look comfortable there. Why not just, ya know, get one?

That being said, we're still good enough to do well with the players we have over a 38 game season. Our midfield is better than lots of other teams. But in games versus stronger teams and knock-out tournaments, if we allow the midfield to be dominated then we're in trouble.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Manchester United

But like you say, it's great for Kagawa. I think he will improve drastically this year, after showing glimpses last year.

See, We are the bayern munich of strikers, as Bayern over indulge themselves in the midfield department-we have a lack of it. But we over indulge in the strikers department but are short in midfield. . Just can't get enough!
Reply 6413
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
We play Bayern in super cup.

Lets show Bayern what we are made of.
Thiago v Cleverly. Yeh!

*Sarcasm*

No we don't. Chelsea play Bayern in the Super Cup because we didn't win the Europa League.
Reply 6414
Man utd to make 35mil bid for Cesc according to sky sports, wtf after selling Thiago, Barca are not selling Cesc, this is like the Suarez bid by Arsenal an insult to fans. Give Juve, Bvb that bid before they renew their contracts for Vidal/Gundogan ffs

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6415
weve just bid 30mil for fabregas
Reply 6416
Not going to happen. Either I'm deluded or the board know something we don't. We must just be doing it to unsettle him and piss barca off lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
0% chance of Fabregas happening for you lot for about 10 reasons.
Reply 6418
£25m is a laughable bid tbh

Trying to deflect away from the whole Thiago affair.
Not going to happen but hey, United just made a bid for a Barcelona midfielder!

Latest