This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4360
Original post by PonchoKid
Say hello to a failure :hi:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that :hugs: they should let you retake though if you have medical reasons for not passing, and SFE will fund an extra year. You'd be likely to do way better since you wrote your dissertation in only a few days iirc - at least this time round you'd have something to work with and edit and hopefully be able to attend placement more.

-----

Finding things quite tough atm, had a bit of a meltdown last night. Just trying not to do anything stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Retaking the year would cost me more, and I think I'd have to go on the new tuition fees, which I can't afford. Also I really don't think I could hack another year.

Resisting would mean a very stressful month of completing my placement file and sorting my Daisy's out as well as another essay... And only then it would only get capped at 40%

I'm gonna talk to my mum, she's not pushing me to resist or anything, but I inestly don't know what I'll do. Trying not to cry about it and go into melt downis hard enough as its without thinking about something I ****ed p on my own...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4362
Yep failed my dissertation quite amazingly aswell. Least i fail in style i guess :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really sorry to hear that hun :hugs: I know it's hard but don't beat yourself up - it's amazing you were even able to finish, I don't think I could have done it. You have lots of people to support you, and whatever happens, we'll be here.

Original post by asdfgah

Finding things quite tough atm, had a bit of a meltdown last night. Just trying not to do anything stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:console: Hope you're okay, you can do this :hugs:
Original post by 08batee
Really sorry to hear that hun :hugs: I know it's hard but don't beat yourself up - it's amazing you were even able to finish, I don't think I could have done it. You have lots of people to support you, and whatever happens, we'll be here.

:console: Hope you're okay, you can do this :hugs:

Cheers hun.

But i didnt finish :/ i still have 2 bits of outstanding work to complete :frown: and now my dissertation to re do :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4364
Original post by james1211
Do you have any family close by you can fall to?

No friends. No family. Just me and ...oh yeah no one.
Reply 4365
Original post by zonkfrog
No friends. No family. Just me and ...oh yeah no one.

Maybe you could adopt a pet to keep you company, if you have the funds. Just a thought.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e
And the depression is back. Looks like I'm going to go back on antidepressants again :frown:
Reply 4367
Maybe you could adopt a pet to keep you company, if you have the funds. Just a thought.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e

I recently got a kitten. Its conversation is a little lacking.
Failed my degree :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile

True for now, however the degree is only one aspect of your life, and you have many many more things which prove how utterly un-failsome you are (totally a real word I just used there :yes:). You're a good person who does her best to help others, and that makes you awesome.

Retaking the year would cost me more, and I think I'd have to go on the new tuition fees, which I can't afford. Also I really don't think I could hack another year.

Resisting would mean a very stressful month of completing my placement file and sorting my Daisy's out as well as another essay... And only then it would only get capped at 40%

I'm gonna talk to my mum, she's not pushing me to resist or anything, but I inestly don't know what I'll do. Trying not to cry about it and go into melt downis hard enough as its without thinking about something I ****ed p on my own...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd have a word with Student Finance/your uni about fees and stuff for retaking - when I've took extra time or redone years it's been at the same fee rate plus inflation, so way way cheaper than most current students pay. It's also possible to take a year or two off and then go back, which I also did (in fact, if you need someone to talk to about the many millions of ways you can inconvenience your uni but make your own life much simpler, then that person is me!). And you might get to resit things as a first attempt if you ask, since you've been ill all this time.

Original post by asdfgah

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: Feel better soon.

Original post by Noodlzzz
And the depression is back. Looks like I'm going to go back on antidepressants again :frown:

:console: Sorry to hear that - do you think there's a cause, or just life being life?

PICTURES!!!!
Reply 4369

I guess so, i admit i used to talk to mine sometimes :redface:

Though i was about 11 years old...
Original post by Noodlzzz

:jumphug: Really sorry to hear that, hun. You know where my inbox is, if that would help :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A completed degree is going to be more use to you than a Certificate of Higher education, or simply a non-completed degree, even if your classification is low. Yes you will almost certainly be capped unless your university has provision for you to apply for special consideration (due to extenuating circumstances) at this point in the year; university policy differs in this respect with particular reference to the time frame in which you must operate, so you will have to explore a little.

Assuming you have no history of financial support with HE courses beyond the three years I assume you have you will be entitled to one more year of support and will be charged at the persistent rate for your course as - if I am not mistaken, but it has been a long time since I have ensured I am continuously correct about these things - your fee amount is determined by when you began your course. Even then, assuming you have your tuition paid for by SF it would be paid in a commensurate fashion to how it has been for you historically meaning that it would be free at the point of access (or as free, circumstance depending).

I'm sure it all seems pretty bleak right now and I don't know the specifics of your situation but it is probable that you have more avenues open to you then you realise.

Best,

Paddy
(edited 10 years ago)
I guess so, i admit i used to talk to mine sometimes :redface:

Though i was about 11 years old...

I'm 23 and I talk to my neighbours' cats. They are outdoor cats so shy of humans and I've made it my mission to get them to allow me to pet them. With one I have made some progress she doesn't run as soon as I start towards her but she doesn't quite let me touch her yet.

And yes I know that touching part sounds kind of creepy. But I'm used to dogs and they love your affection...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm very sorry to hear this, I myself have talked to uni people and recently applied for an extension for my dissertation which hopefully will be granted.

Have you talked to all the relevant people? I know that I myself could have had the option to do a completely different topic by just not handing the one in one time (for us we get a second chance for dissertation), but couldn't have managed it. Starting again. So I would advise to not repeat a year if you can avoid it, if you are anything like me.

Would you be happy with a cap at 40%? What would that mean for your overall degree classification?
Reply 4374
Original post by Anonymous
But I'm used to dogs and they love your affection...

It wasn't creepy until you said that part :laugh:

My neighbors cats won't even look at me unless its through glass. I used to have 2 cats but one was killed by a bastard with a BB gun 5 years ago and the other was traumatised and had to be put down.
Original post by ByronicHero
A completed degree is going to be more use to you than a Certificate of Higher education, or simply a non-completed degree, even if your classification is low. Yes you will almost certainly be capped unless your university has provision for you to apply for special consideration (due to extenuating circumstances) at this point in the year; university policy differs in this respect with particular reference to the time frame in which you must operate, so you will have to explore a little.

Assuming you have no history of financial support with HE courses beyond the three years I assume you have you will be entitled to one more year of support and will be charged at the persistent rate for your course as - if I am not mistaken, but it has been a long time since I have ensured I am continuously correct about these things - your fee amount is determined by when you began your course. Even then, assuming you have your tuition paid for by SF it would be paid in a commensurate fashion to how it has been for you historically meaning that it would be free at the point of access (or as free, circumstance depending).

I'm sure it all seems pretty bleak right now and I don't know the specifics of your situation but it is probable that you have more avenues open to you then you realise.

Best,

Paddy

Everything here is correct as far as I know, such as continuing on the same fee scheme, and so-on.
Yep failed my dissertation quite amazingly aswell. Least i fail in style i guess :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

First of all - don't freak out! It can happen to everyone and you've done so well to get this far. Talk to your tutors at university, contact your disability services at university and start the extenuating circumstances process. You can have the 40% cap removed if you can provide evidence of illness.

I failed a year at uni due to illness. I felt dreadful at the time and wanted to curl into a ball (and I'm pretty sure I had another messy breakdown). I received a certificate of higher education and then transferred to a closer, less stressful university and now I'm back on track for a first. Bad things happen but they are not the end of the world and if you need time to recover, and then come back to focus on your dissertation then do that. You are much more important than your degree so do whatever you think will be best for you right now.

If you haven't used any additional years of finance then you'll be entitled to that automatically and you'll be charged at your current rate. If you have used your year, then there's an appeals process for additional years. You're going to be completely fine, k?

*huge hugs*
Sooooo. My viva date has been set for 'sometime after the first week of August'. Starting to worry I'll miss some sort of set time limit but I'm too scared to ask anyone more senior than my supervisor in case I get him or myself into some sort of trouble.

Student finance are refusing to fund me even though I should be entitled to 6 years of funding and have only used 5 so far. I need one more semester of funding to complete my degree but they can't comprehend the concept of a split academic year. I studied level 5 in one semester, and moved to level 6 in January for a semester. The university is going out of its mind trying to sort student finance out and I'm at my wits end. It's not like 1.7k magics itself out of thin air to pay my fees.

Worried that I've taken too much stuff on as I'm mentoring at a local NCS scheme throughout August and I can feeling myself getting tired and depressed again. I still have work to complete for August too so I'm just scared of burning out and cracking when mentoring a bunch of teenagers. And I'm in the process of applying for teach first and it's so scary competitive that I'm nervous about being super useless about it all.
Original post by rmhumphries
Everything here is correct as far as I know, such as continuing on the same fee scheme, and so-on.

Aye. At any rate it is all information that can easily be confirmed with a few phone calls.
Original post by ByronicHero
Aye. At any rate it is all information that can easily be confirmed with a few phone calls.

My personal tutor isn't in at the moment, apparently all but 1 of our lecturers is on leave :frown: and she don't know everything :/

Doing another year at uni really won't do me much good ATM anyway :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest