The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6460
SSN reporting 3 other clubs apart from us have now reported interest in Cesc, here we go again :rolleyes:
Original post by rohitbd
SSN reporting 3 other clubs apart from us have now reported interest in Cesc, here we go again :rolleyes:

Would not be surprised if they were Arsenal, City and Chelsea.
Reply 6462
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Would not be surprised if they were Arsenal, City and Chelsea.

Exactly, but just imagine seeing RVP and Cesc back together in their primes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioajpmNnLc
Right, I'm confused. Does Cesc have a 25m buyout clause with Arsenal? Because if they do and Arsenal reject it, then they would receive 50% of the transfer fee, am I right? Which means Barca would surely have increase Cesc's asking price in order to receive a justifiable amount for him....

Don't really understand the logic behind this bid tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stopmessing

That's because there is none.

Man U's transfer policy seems very much like my efforts to pull women.

Approach numerous top level individuals hoping they would accept the pitiful offer on the table.
After multiple knock backs move onto the lower level individuals hoping to snag one before the club/transfer window shuts.
Original post by Stopmessing
Right, I'm confused. Does Cesc have a 25m buyout clause with Arsenal? Because if they do and Arsenal reject it, then they would receive 50% of the transfer fee, am I right? Which means Barca would surely have increase Cesc's asking price in order to receive a justifiable amount for him....

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of different reports coming through. Some saying Arsenal only receive 50% of profits from the initial transfer fee (£25m). Hence why Moyes started the bidding at £25m to see if Arsenal are interested. If for example he went for £30m, Arsenal would receive £2.5m from Barcelona.
Ok, I'm taking the info from this twitter feed, which are many are linking to in order to explain the clauses. So, my interpretation is:

A club bids for Fabregas
If Cesc has a desire to leave, he is asked if he wants to go back to Arsenal - this is a first refusal clause. Arsenal would have to pay £25m for him (the buy-back clause).

Cesc could say, I don't want to go to Arsenal.
(Or Arsenal could even say, we don't want him/can't afford him).

In this case, other clubs are free to bid for Cesc but of course, Barcelona can demand any fee they like (likely £35m+).

It is also believed (but not known for certain) that there is a sell-on clause in his contract.
This sell-on clause is believed to be around 50% of the profit made by Barcelona, some say this is 50% of the money above the Arsenal £25m buy-out clause. It is fairly certain it is not 50% of the transfer fee itself.

That's my understanding at least. It's also worth noting that the offer is 'under consideration.' If accepted, or if Barca ask for more money, then that would indicate to Cesc that he's surplus to their requirements.

Lots of ifs and buts in there - and while I'm not excited and am slightly pessimistic, I'm certainly not ruling it out.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6467
It is rather odd that they didn't just flat out reject the offer..
Original post by Wilfred Little
When was your season ticket renewal date cut off?

2nd week of June ... around the 13/14th I think.

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Some saying that season ticket renewals aren't exactly happening as fast as they would like

Season ticket sales have been down ever since the recession because there's no real reason to own one ... the automatic cup scheme, distribution of away tickets and low demand is putting people off. This will always be the case as long as the enjoyment level of home games is so grossly out of line with the price.

Atrocious atmosphere + overpriced tickets + boring style of football = unsatisfied supporters.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6469
Given that we have made a bid for a player that said this last month:

"I've always said that I'm happy at Barca. Whoever says that I'm leaving doesn't know me and has never spoken with me," said the 26-year-old.

"Nor with my agent, because he knows that I don't want him to talk with other people about me. I'm very private and I don't even talk about these things with my family.

"If someone says anything that isn't that I want to play at Barca, it's completely absurd."

It is either (a) some sort of strategic PR stunt or (b) the United board know something we don't..
Original post by Wilfred Little
That's because there is none.

Man U's transfer policy seems very much like my efforts to pull women.

Approach numerous top level individuals hoping they would accept the pitiful offer on the table.
After multiple knock backs move onto the lower level individuals hoping to snag one before the club/transfer window shuts.
I like that little analogy, but even then it seems a strange place to start. If you were going to take random shots, wouldn't Dortmund or Madrid where you can see money talking or players leaving make more sense than Barcelona. If Moyes is going with the machine gun approach to transfers, I'd imagine he has a list of players who are less than £20m who he think could be great players, or some he'd been keeping an eye on but couldn't afford at Everton.
Reply 6471
Phil Jones. He never stops giving :awesome:

Spoiler

Reply 6472
Original post by Akkuz
Given that we have made a bid for a player that said this last month:

"I've always said that I'm happy at Barca. Whoever says that I'm leaving doesn't know me and has never spoken with me," said the 26-year-old.

"Nor with my agent, because he knows that I don't want him to talk with other people about me. I'm very private and I don't even talk about these things with my family.

"If someone says anything that isn't that I want to play at Barca, it's completely absurd."

It is either (a) some sort of strategic PR stunt or (b) the United board know something we don't..

At that point Fabregas didn't want to leave but now a bid a has come in that changes everything IF Barca accept.. Then I think he might leave because Barca want to sell

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only deals United really care about doing at the moment is signing new sponsors. That global profile building strategy of breaking down its partnership sales by region is only going to continue and keep expanding and they seem to be pumping all the effort into that as it brings in a lot of money. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be reinvested in the team very well.

Maybe United need a director of football to oversee the transfers since the people who are supposed to be responsible for those dealings - the corporate side of the club - couldn't care less about the team on the field.
Reply 6474
(edited 10 years ago)
Probably going to find out it never happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look, Moyes is not stupid-we would never bid for someone without confirming that they would like to go. Think about it, would man utd bid for any player if they did not want to come? NO.

I think RVP being brave and taking the risks to go to Arsenal's rivals and then wins BPL, makes Cesc think that he could do it too and he can also go through that barrier.

RVP and Cesc both have same agent. Also Cesc is more well rounded CM and has PL experience which Thiago does not have, so that is why Man utd are less motivated and pushy to sign Thiago. Moyes needs instant success even if his contract say something else. We need a midfielder and taking the risk of Thiago can cost Moyes's job, simple as that.
Original post by IanDangerously
The only deals United really care about doing at the moment is signing new sponsors. That global profile building strategy of breaking down its partnership sales by region is only going to continue and keep expanding and they seem to be pumping all the effort into that as it brings in a lot of money. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be reinvested in the team very well.

Maybe United need a director of football to oversee the transfers since the people who are supposed to be responsible for those dealings - the corporate side of the club - couldn't care less about the team on the field.

The will care when the team stops producing the results, because they failed to strengthen it properly.

Money is only going to keep pumping in if the results are good.
Hopefully Barcelona/Cesc will quickly nip this one in the bud and allow us to look for other players (preferably in the Bundesliga). Cesc will not leave now that Thiago has. However, if he did, I very much doubt that he would choose us over Arsenal.
That article says Cesc has had difficulty winning over Barça's fans. They really are a bunch of smacked arse bastards.

Madrid fans too, actually.

Latest