The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IanDangerously
The only deals United really care about doing at the moment is signing new sponsors. That global profile building strategy of breaking down its partnership sales by region is only going to continue and keep expanding and they seem to be pumping all the effort into that as it brings in a lot of money. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be reinvested in the team very well.

Maybe United need a director of football to oversee the transfers since the people who are supposed to be responsible for those dealings - the corporate side of the club - couldn't care less about the team on the field.

United and the board are not stupid. They know success in the field leads to success in the commercial side/business.
Reply 6481
One things for sure, the press/fans have temporarily forgotten Man Utd's handling of the Thiago trasnfer saga and has focused their attention on a new saga.
Original post by NathanW18
The will care when the team stops producing the results, because they failed to strengthen it properly.

Money is only going to keep pumping in if the results are good.

I think we already have the players to do what we need to in England anyway and we don't seem to be making an effort to keep in line with the top European teams.

Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
United and the board are not stupid. They know success in the field leads to success in the commercial side/business.

Yeah but the commercial sales are the priority for them, as long as the team is somewhere up there challenging for the title (top 3) and making the knockout stages of the european cup. Those are the margins that are needed financially every season.
Reply 6483
Or maybe the whole thing is a ploy by Moyes to piss Wenger off about bidding for Rooney.

Oh the conspiracy.
Original post by rohitbd
One things for sure, the press/fans have temporarily forgotten Man Utd's handling of the Thiago trasnfer saga and has focused their attention on a new saga.
Unless it leads to an favourable outcome it just going to make the Thiago transfer even more prominent because the two deals are so closely linked.
Seen as everyone seems to be with fascinated with Spanish CM's lately, what about Koke? How many years does he have left on his contract at Atletico?
Reply 6486
or could be a swap of fabregas for rooney...
Original post by IanDangerously
I think we already have the players to do what we need to in England anyway and we don't seem to be making an effort to keep in line with the top European teams.

Possibly, but I'm not even sure we have a team capable of winning the league now. Sir Alex got this team through matches, even when we looked like we wouldn't get a result. Now he's gone, I don't know. I didn't understand a lot of his subs, but we got results all the same.

In Europe, we're not even close.
Original post by NathanW18
Possibly, but I'm not even sure we have a team capable of winning the league now. Sir Alex got this team through matches, even when we looked like we wouldn't get a result. Now he's gone, I don't know.

In Europe, we're not even close.

I think we could win the league again with this team. We stormed it last season. This season we would have Vidic for the whole season (he completely transformed our defence with his return) and Kagawa is going to improve significantly. Plus we have many young players who are only going to improve. Obviously this is assuming RVP/Carrick don't get injured. If one/both of them get injured, then yeah we're going to struggle. As for Europe, we could still win the CL without any summer signings (our team now is better than the one Chelsea/Inter had when they won it). I'm not saying we would be the favourites to win the CL, far from it, but it's certainly possible. I think there are only 4 teams who are certainly better than us; the two German clubs and the two Spanish.
Reply 6489
What I don't understand is how comes we bid for Fabregas and we didn't bid for Thiago?
The FIFA Top 6 Young Footballer's Of The Year for 2013:

1. Neymar
2. Lamela
3. Moura
4. Gotze
5. Isco
6. Adnan Januzaj
Original post by Manchester United
I think we could win the league again with this team. We stormed it last season. This season we would have Vidic for the whole season (he completely transformed our defence with his return) and Kagawa is going to improve significantly. Plus we have many young players who are only going to improve. Obviously this is assuming RVP/Carrick don't get injured. If one/both of them get injured, then yeah we're going to struggle. As for Europe, we could still win the CL without any summer signings (our team now is better than the one Chelsea/Inter had when they won it). I'm not saying we would be the favourites to win the CL, far from it, but it's certainly possible. I think there are only 4 teams who are certainly better than us; the two German clubs and the two Spanish.

Yeah, we have the talent available. I'm just unsure if we'll do it. I have a feeling that Chelsea will be a lot better this season. I think they will be the team to beat. I don't know what to think about City.

I'm really happy with our defence. If Rio & Vidic can stay fit (big if!), the defence should be fine. I'm mostly concerned about our midfield. Mostly Carrick. If he goes down, we're ****ed. It's good that Moyes has come out and said we're short in midfield, though. I don't think Sir Alex ever said that. I agree that Kagawa should improve a lot. I'm excited to see how he will play this season. Especially if he gets to play in his favourite position.

The CL would take huge amounts of luck to win. Those 4 teams are the one's that I mean. I think we're quite far behind them in terms of quality around the squad. We'd more than likely have to beat at least 2 of them to win the competition.
I just can't see Fabregas being sold the same window as Thiago unless Barcelona have some secret plan that no one knows about :dontknow:
Logically, the Fabregas transfer shouldn't happen for so many reasons but we all wrote off RVP to joins us before he eventually did but this one's different.

Barcelona's management must be seriously drunk if they sell Thiago and Fabregas in the same summer. The former was more keen to go having said he wanted to gain gametime ahead of the WC so that was an expected transfer. They spent so much energy getting the latter to return home that it seems ludicrous they would sell considering Xavi getting on in age. Cesc doesn't seem keen to leave, surely he knows that Xavi won't be around for ever and he started 30 leagues games apparently so he should stay. However, if Barca accept a bid then that would send off alarm bells for him and I'm not even sure he'd want to join us ahead of Arsenal. If Arsenal pursue Suarez for £40m, will they have the cash to spend £25m on Fabregas? Not so sure. Their midfield wouldn't say to Cesc but the striking department is a priority for them.

The clause inserted in Cesc seems just as confusing as Thiago's. Not in terms of scenarios but this has to happen for this happen, for one thing to happen, this has to happen yadda yadda yadda.

I can't see this happening. I'd rather we go for Eriksen (who seems ready to leave Ajax) and for Strootman (although it seems he is Roma bound).
Original post by Aky786UK
Logically, the Fabregas transfer shouldn't happen for so many reasons but we all wrote off RVP to joins us before he eventually did but this one's different.

Barcelona's management must be seriously drunk if they sell Thiago and Fabregas in the same summer. The former was more keen to go having said he wanted to gain gametime ahead of the WC so that was an expected transfer. They spent so much energy getting the latter to return home that it seems ludicrous they would sell considering Xavi getting on in age. Cesc doesn't seem keen to leave, surely he knows that Xavi won't be around for ever and he started 30 leagues games apparently so he should stay. However, if Barca accept a bid then that would send off alarm bells for him and I'm not even sure he'd want to join us ahead of Arsenal. If Arsenal pursue Suarez for £40m, will they have the cash to spend £25m on Fabregas? Not so sure. Their midfield wouldn't say to Cesc but the striking department is a priority for them.

The clause inserted in Cesc seems just as confusing as Thiago's. Not in terms of scenarios but this has to happen for this happen, for one thing to happen, this has to happen yadda yadda yadda.

I can't see this happening. I'd rather we go for Eriksen (who seems ready to leave Ajax) and for Strootman (although it seems he is Roma bound).

Well our front office and management has been pretty ****ing bad since Rosell joined :laugh:
Lars Bender and Gundogan would sort our midfielder out for years . Don't know why we are wasting time with unattainable players.
Reply 6496
Original post by TheLittlestElf
I just can't see Fabregas being sold the same window as Thiago unless Barcelona have some secret plan that no one knows about :dontknow:

You've raised a good point. It doesn't really seem like Moyes knows exactly what he's doing.

Fabregas is a ridiculous player to pursue.
Poor from the BBC if true. You generally expect BBC Sport to hold fire on rumours outside the Gossip Column or at least say "reported to" rather than the statement they have made on this.
Just waiting for the scream of that little boy inside him

Latest