The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4860
Original post by AngryJellyfish
English dubs... :puke: Think I'll take my chances with the original voice cast, doing so has never disappointed me so far. :nah:

The latest chapter of Loveless I read was 19, so I can't comment on whether it's picked up since you last read it. Certainly slow moving, but I compensate for that by reading faster. :p: Androgyny works just fine for me, but so far (as far as I'm aware) the only character that I didn't identify straight away was Kio.

Ahh not a fan of dubs, eh? Not even Bebop or FMA?

Oh and I just purchased the NGE Platinum collection - found it on up1.co.uk for £55! :biggrin:
Original post by Naami
Ahh not a fan of dubs, eh? Not even Bebop or FMA?

Oh and I just purchased the NGE Platinum collection - found it on up1.co.uk for £55! :biggrin:

Has to be the Japanese for Cowboy Bebop, or any show where Norio Wakamoto voices any character for that matter. Can't say I have any complaints about Romi Park or Rie Kugimiya as the Elric brothers either, so I've never bothered checking out the dubs.

There's pretty much only three reasons I'd voluntarily watch an English dub:

1: The anime was originally dubbed in English (e.g. Afro Samurai) - It's not that I don't like English dubs, I just prefer to watch things in their original language. Which is rarely English.

2: The anime isn't available subbed in English (e.g. Oban Star Racers) - I'd sooner watch it in French with English subs if I could, but I doubt there's much demand for that. :no:

3: Both the anime and the English dub are notoriously bad, so watching it dubbed increases the entertainment value (e.g. Garzey's Wing). See below if you're unfamiliar. :p:

(edited 10 years ago)
Hey, first time posting here.
The final volume of Gunslinger Girl arrived in the post today. :excited: Which means I'll be looking to start another series once I've finished that... so many options, so little shelf space. :p:

Original post by forgottenromeo
Hey, first time posting here.

Hello again. :biggrin: Always good to have more people posting. :yes:
The final volume of Gunslinger Girl arrived in the post today. :excited: Which means I'll be looking to start another series once I've finished that... so many options, so little shelf space. :p:

I am always open to donations. :smile:
The first ep of Kimi no Iru Machi is out yay! I'm a huge fan of the manga:biggrin: Last year's OVA was good, but it didn't capture the story very well. However, this series looks really promising.
This Summer looks like it's going to be a good season for anime releases, so many good series :smile:
AngryJellyfish - is that the Tsubasa manga at the bottom of the first picture?
How did it go/do?

I ask because the anime got discontinued due to the producers saying "we do not promote alcohol or violence" or some rubbish like that. =l
Original post by Scienceisgood
AngryJellyfish - is that the Tsubasa manga at the bottom of the first picture?
How did it go/do?

I ask because the anime got discontinued due to the producers saying "we do not promote alcohol or violence" or some rubbish like that. =l

It is Tsubasa, and personally, I liked it (though it did get very confusing towards the end).

The anime adaptation wasn't that great anyway - the manga crosses over heavily with xxxHOLiC, the other series CLAMP was publishing at the same time. But since both series got picked up by different anime studios, they had to remove most of those crossovers. Which really wouldn't have worked later on if the Tsubasa anime had continued. :nah:

Thinking about it, those bottom two shelves in the first picture are basically a shrine to CLAMP. Amazing how it all fits so nicely. :p:
(edited 10 years ago)
It is Tsubasa, and personally, I liked it (though it did get very confusing towards the end).

The anime adaptation wasn't that great anyway - the manga crosses over heavily with xxxHOLiC, the other series CLAMP was publishing at the same time (see the shelf above Tsubasa :p:). But since both series got picked up by different anime studios, they had to remove most of those crossovers. Which really wouldn't have worked later on if the Tsubasa anime had continued. :nah:

Out of respect for your manga collection, I am gonna make it my mission to buy the local library (which is currently 4 stories where I live) and then fill it with nothing but manga/dvds. =P

Then it is highly unlikely I will run out of space for around 20 years. May have to buy another house for my manga when I reach 50. :rolleyes:
I recently re-watched all of Gintama and for a comedy it's really depressing, anyone else notice this?
Out of respect for your manga collection, I am gonna make it my mission to buy the local library (which is currently 4 stories where I live) and then fill it with nothing but manga/dvds. =P

Then it is highly unlikely I will run out of space for around 20 years. May have to buy another house for my manga when I reach 50. :rolleyes:

I wish I could run some sort of manga library/cafe. And that I lived in an area where such a business would stand a remote chance of being successful. :moon:
I wish I could run some sort of manga library/cafe. And that I lived in an area where such a business would stand a remote chance of being successful. :moon:

Even in a busy area it would be a good idea, it'd be a place for everyone to meet and chat :yep:
Then again everyone just reads/watches online now :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by F_shakeey
Even in a busy area it would be a good idea, it'd be a place for everyone to meet and chat :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can confirm that since using the portable hard drive and downloading all my anime from online (and I do intend on buying the DVD/Blu Ray versions in the future as to promote the animes/mangas) the experience of watching anime on TV is SO MUCH GREATER than watching it online. :rolleyes:

Although, I am thinking 1080p versions of anime take up A LOT of space!
I downloaded the first 18 eps of Soul Eater in 1080p quality (15.5GB)!

EDIT:
Although, because some of the anime I watch does have golden humour in it but some is quite dirty, I have placed all my anime into a folder titled "Click here to format Hard Drive" so my parents don't touch it. =l
Also, parents don't know I watch anime and I KNOW I will get the whole "Your too old for cartoons" crap!
(edited 10 years ago)

I can't really comment on that, since I'm just as guilty when it comes to anime fansubs - I want series quick, well-translated, and in HD, as opposed to the dubiously translated/sometimes dubtitled official releases which get to the UK about a year after their US release (and only if they sell well over there). Quite often I'll buy DVDs purely to support the industry, then leave them to look pretty on my shelves while I download the fansubbed version. :p:

Manga, though, I prefer in book form to reading from a screen. Plus I find it tends to be more reasonably priced (not counting the out-of-print volumes I spend £50 on :flute:), and isn't region locked like DVDs (obviously), so I'm much more active in supporting that side of the industry.
Also, I don't know why but this image to me is pure gold. I can't explain why but it fits so well! XD

King.png

Would love to find a coloured image of this pic!
Although, because some of the anime I watch does have golden humour in it but some is quite dirty, I have placed all my anime into a folder titled "Click here to format Hard Drive" so my parents don't touch it. =l
Also, parents don't know I watch anime and I KNOW I will get the whole "Your too old for cartoons" crap!

I'm don't know when it was that my anime/manga obsession got so noticeable. I mean, I never tried to hide it or anything (Dad collects Marvel comics so sort of understands; Mum disapproves of pretty much everything I do anyway), but for a long time, I did have regular novels and DVDs on those shelves too. I'm not entirely sure what happened to them...

I have a lot of series that would likely be 15/18 rated if they were licensed over here... had to pause a couple of times last season when my parents or siblings came in while I was watching Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Bride, for example. :p: If they come in while I'm watching something nice and innocent, though, I'll often keep it running, just so they don't get too suspicious. :giggle:
I can't really comment on that, since I'm just as guilty when it comes to anime fansubs - I want series quick, well-translated, and in HD, as opposed to the dubiously translated/sometimes dubtitled official releases which get to the UK about a year after their US release (and only if they sell well over there). Quite often I'll buy DVDs purely to support the industry, then leave them to look pretty on my shelves while I download the fansubbed version. :p:

Manga, though, I prefer in book form to reading from a screen. Plus I find it tends to be more reasonably priced (not counting the out-of-print volumes I spend £50 on :flute:), and isn't region locked like DVDs (obviously), so I'm much more active in supporting that side of the industry.

I agree with the anime. Far too difficult to find good dubs with anime these days and anything released here will never have subs. Like you said they take too long as well.

I do enjoy reading from a book, I'm quite a book worm myself. The only manga I've ever bought though is DNAngel. I'd love to be able to have full shelves of manga I could pick up any time and read. How do you keep them in such good condition I.e. no wear and tear?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you keep them in such good condition I.e. no wear and tear?

I... don't, unfortunately. :frown: I try my hardest, but there's been a lot of obstacles along the way.

In the early days I'd let my sisters borrow my manga, and if/when I got it back, it was often in pretty bad condition. Then there was the whole "MY ROOM IS LEAKING" thing, which is the reason I don't keep any manga on that side of the room anymore (DVDs should be safe in their plastic packaging, but even they're not against the wall if you look hard at my last pic). Plenty of my manga got water damaged that time. Finally, there's the danger of buying manga pre-owned, which I'm forced to do for a lot of rarer stuff. Quite often, it arrives in bad condition to begin with. :s:

More recently, I have been bagging the series/volumes that are in particularly good condition, rare, or that I simply like (you can just about see the shiny plastic reflections from some of the books in the first pic, and in the chest of drawers pic). Suppose I should do the lot really, but it requires time and effort, and spending money on plastic sleeves that I could be spending on books instead. :giggle:
Cling film! or food bags the kind with the resealable thing.
I... don't, unfortunately. :frown: I try my hardest, but there's been a lot of obstacles along the way.

In the early days I'd let my sisters borrow my manga, and if/when I got it back, it was often in pretty bad condition. Then there was the whole "MY ROOM IS LEAKING" thing, which is the reason I don't keep any manga on that side of the room anymore (DVDs should be safe in their plastic packaging, but even they're not against the wall if you look hard at my last pic). Plenty of my manga got water damaged that time. Finally, there's the danger of buying manga pre-owned, which I'm forced to do for a lot of rarer stuff. Quite often, it arrives in bad condition to begin with. :s:

More recently, I have been bagging the series/volumes that are in particularly good condition, rare, or that I simply like (you can just about see the shiny plastic reflections from some of the books in the first pic, and in the chest of drawers pic). Suppose I should do the lot really, but it requires time and effort, and spending money on plastic sleeves that I could be spending on books instead. :giggle:

May sound nerdy but how about those vacuum bag things?
Suck the air out and as long as it doesn't get wet should remain in pretty good condition. =)

Latest

Trending

Trending