The Student Room Group

BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science Level 3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
.... Sorry It's not a reply to the question but I have a question to ask -Hey, I would like to ask If I studied BTEC level 3 applied Science would I still be able to study pharmacy in university?

As most universities Require DDD and an alongside A Level chemistry... as i will be starting college in septemer I'd thought I'd be more aware of the chances whislt studying this course.

If I achieve a DDD in science, however the uni for example King's college london needs an alongside of A Level in chemistry, What do I then do ?
Hey guys,
I am currently studying BTEC Level 3 applied science at my school and I have been given Unit 2 Assignment 3 which is Data Storage. I am going for Merit and I am stuck on it. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have been looking for answers all over but i cant find any. Not even in the BTEC book. I basically have to describe the storing procedures for :

COSHH records
Scientific Data
Scientfic Apparatus records
Waste disposal records
Health and Safety checks
Training records
Quality assurance Data
Report Records
Specification levels
Sample throughout management
Security, Data Protection Act

Please help I am desperate as my deadline is due soon and I cant find anything!!

Please and Thank You
I finished my second year this year, and I finally found that I achieved D*D*D!!!! Although I was waiting for that last D* I'm happy for what I got!! Btw, I will be going to Uni to study Human and medical science :wink: It was hard but all the hard work was worth it... Good luck to everyone on this course.
Original post by HettyWalkiria
I finished my second year this year, and I finally found that I achieved D*D*D!!!! Although I was waiting for that last D* I'm happy for what I got!! Btw, I will be going to Uni to study Human and medical science :wink: It was hard but all the hard work was worth it... Good luck to everyone on this course.

Well done! I just finished my 1st year and I got D* D* but I hate BTEC because it doesn't focus on aspects that I need like maths lol so I applied for foundation years and I got an unconditional offer! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
Anybody got into engineering or did engineering with a lvl 3 btec applied science?
How did find it?
Was it achievable? Was it really hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sufiaan saeed
Hi
Anybody got into engineering or did engineering with a lvl 3 btec applied science?
How did find it?
Was it achievable? Was it really hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I knew someone that went to study engineering with the BTEC, if I'm sure I think it was Brunel that accepted him.
Original post by YummyDietician
Well done! I just finished my 1st year and I got D* D* but I hate BTEC because it doesn't focus on aspects that I need like maths lol so I applied for foundation years and I got an unconditional offer! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really that's great! keep the hard work until the end and you will certainly achieve the D*'s. Although the second year involved a lot of maths in physics I also had a math unit on my second year. I got into a degree without having to go through a foundation course and as far as I know everyone in my group will be going uni without doing the foundation. What course have you applied to?
How did they find the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
I just finished the Edexcel Btec Level 3 Applied Science with D*D*, along with Biology to A2 and maths to AS, and really it isn't that hard to get Distinctions at all, it's a case of just ticking the boxes. I am hoping to go off to Loughborough this september to study Human Biology.

If you're doing an A-level along side, it is likely that a lot of the content will crossover, like Biology, there's a whole unit on Genetics and a whole assignment of physiology, also a knowledge of chemistry goes a long way and that will help in fundamentals, and the lab technique units. Also Maths is great as you will do at least one maths unit, and that is basic A level maths, the other one I did merits were easy with basic maths, distinction was a little more difficult but by no means hard.

Psychology is also good because there is a unit on it, but doesn't help much because it's mainly essays, which means a lot of research, if you can waffle you will find the psychology units easy. Criminology (I did the forensics units) is also along the same lines.

Really if you keep up with the work, and you're good at just following an assignment brief, you will be absolutely fine with distinctions and should be looking at getting those stars.

Also if you need any help with it, I'm happy to help, just PM me.
Original post by HettyWalkiria
Really that's great! keep the hard work until the end and you will certainly achieve the D*'s. Although the second year involved a lot of maths in physics I also had a math unit on my second year. I got into a degree without having to go through a foundation course and as far as I know everyone in my group will be going uni without doing the foundation. What course have you applied to?

Thank you! :biggrin: I could have carried on to the second year and studied as maths but there are some major reasons why I left my college as well as the btec assignments lacking core maths :frown: I've applied to a science foundation hoping to progress onto pharmacy (doubt it) or dietetics (most likely). Well done for getting on to a degree!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by olliehus
I just finished the Edexcel Btec Level 3 Applied Science with D*D*, along with Biology to A2 and maths to AS, and really it isn't that hard to get Distinctions at all, it's a case of just ticking the boxes. I am hoping to go off to Loughborough this september to study Human Biology.

If you're doing an A-level along side, it is likely that a lot of the content will crossover, like Biology, there's a whole unit on Genetics and a whole assignment of physiology, also a knowledge of chemistry goes a long way and that will help in fundamentals, and the lab technique units. Also Maths is great as you will do at least one maths unit, and that is basic A level maths, the other one I did merits were easy with basic maths, distinction was a little more difficult but by no means hard.

Psychology is also good because there is a unit on it, but doesn't help much because it's mainly essays, which means a lot of research, if you can waffle you will find the psychology units easy. Criminology (I did the forensics units) is also along the same lines.

Really if you keep up with the work, and you're good at just following an assignment brief, you will be absolutely fine with distinctions and should be looking at getting those stars.

Also if you need any help with it, I'm happy to help, just PM me.

Did you do one year or two years? because you only have 2 grades... Like me :biggrin: oh and did you get to choose your assignments?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Did you do one year or two years? because you only have 2 grades... Like me :biggrin: oh and did you get to choose your assignments?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did 2 years at sixth form, so I had to take 2 AS along with it, then dropped maths into year 13. But my class had a bit of trouble with our first teacher (who left in april in year 12) who marked our work far to generously, and we were steaming through the work getting D's everywhere. Our new teacher came in, and marked it down to P's so we had to redo almost half the course.
But did you do one or 2 years?

Choose my assignments? Or do you mean the units? Because we got to choose between Forensics, Bio-med or Lab Techniques. We all chose forensics. But I am now off to do Human Biology if I manage to get my Biology at a B or above.
I did 2 years at sixth form, so I had to take 2 AS along with it, then dropped maths into year 13. But my class had a bit of trouble with our first teacher (who left in april in year 12) who marked our work far to generously, and we were steaming through the work getting D's everywhere. Our new teacher came in, and marked it down to P's so we had to redo almost half the course.
But did you do one or 2 years?

Choose my assignments? Or do you mean the units? Because we got to choose between Forensics, Bio-med or Lab Techniques. We all chose forensics. But I am now off to do Human Biology if I manage to get my Biology at a B or above.

I only did one year... 90 credits so I only got two grades D*D*... I thought when you do 2 years you get 3 grades...

I meant units (we call them assignments lol) we didn't get to choose ours to suit what we wanted to do in uni. When I asked one of my teachers they said that I could choose more chemistry than physics because I did A level before but it never happened.

The second year will only consist of one tiny unit of maths and subjects like astronomy and forensics which I don't need. I wanted to choose because unis check the units that you do to see whether you are fit for the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
I only did one year... 90 credits so I only got two grades D*D*... I thought when you do 2 years you get 3 grades...

I meant units (we call them assignments lol) we didn't get to choose ours to suit what we wanted to do in uni. When I asked one of my teachers they said that I could choose more chemistry than physics because I did A level before but it never happened.

The second year will only consist of one tiny unit of maths and subjects like astronomy and forensics which I don't need. I wanted to choose because unis check the units that you do to see whether you are fit for the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yeah, see I was studying it alongside maths and biology, so to try and do the whole course in one year while studying maths and biology would have been a massive chore, least that's what my teachers said. But I know that if I was given every assignment brief at the start, I would have done all the work by half way through the second year, rather than doing it right up to the deadline. But that was my teachers choice, plus we started a new unit 3 weeks before the btec deadline -.-

Really the only choice we got was between the Biomed and the Forensics units. So we chose the forensics units, and our teacher chose the units that were the easiest. But also the forensics unit allowed you to go onto quite a lot of the courses the biomed allowed, while also having the option to carry on with forensics.

But our second year consisted of a lot of the first year work. But yeah choosing the units would have been good. But, given the fact that the forensics units didn't affect my offer to loughborough I wasn't too bothered.
Ah yeah, see I was studying it alongside maths and biology, so to try and do the whole course in one year while studying maths and biology would have been a massive chore, least that's what my teachers said. But I know that if I was given every assignment brief at the start, I would have done all the work by half way through the second year, rather than doing it right up to the deadline. But that was my teachers choice, plus we started a new unit 3 weeks before the btec deadline -.-

Really the only choice we got was between the Biomed and the Forensics units. So we chose the forensics units, and our teacher chose the units that were the easiest. But also the forensics unit allowed you to go onto quite a lot of the courses the biomed allowed, while also having the option to carry on with forensics.

But our second year consisted of a lot of the first year work. But yeah choosing the units would have been good. But, given the fact that the forensics units didn't affect my offer to loughborough I wasn't too bothered.

Well done for getting in to Loughborough :biggrin: I just hope that the choices doesn't effect my friends :/ I went to a bad college!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Well done for getting in to Loughborough :biggrin: I just hope that the choices doesn't effect my friends :/ I went to a bad college!

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest I am surprised they even looked at my application :L

Ah well fingers crossed for them. Which college did you go to?
To be honest I am surprised they even looked at my application :L

Ah well fingers crossed for them. Which college did you go to?

The worst thing is when I was applying to foundation years, they were saying that I was overqualified... But I wasn't because if I applied to a normal course, they would turn me down :s-smilie: so I'm even more surprised that they looked at my application lol

I'll PM you the college that I went to...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
The worst thing is when I was applying to foundation years, they were saying that I was overqualified... But I wasn't because if I applied to a normal course, they would turn me down :s-smilie: so I'm even more surprised that they looked at my application lol

I'll PM you the college that I went to...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that's a little... Odd to say the least. Have you actually applied now and received replies?

If I am honest, I could have applied to a foundation course and... I don't even know much about foundation courses because my parents told me to not even look at them because they are "too soft" for me and aren't any good for me -.-'' I know they're wrong, but I managed to just about get my offers, I am just risking not getting where I need to be. But there's the option of clearing afterwards anyway.
Well that's a little... Odd to say the least. Have you actually applied now and received replies?

If I am honest, I could have applied to a foundation course and... I don't even know much about foundation courses because my parents told me to not even look at them because they are "too soft" for me and aren't any good for me -.-'' I know they're wrong, but I managed to just about get my offers, I am just risking not getting where I need to be. But there's the option of clearing afterwards anyway.

Yep I've applied and got an unconditional :biggrin: I wouldn't call them soft hee hee they're very intense (apparently) :/ I can see where you're parents are coming from though as I thought that they were like an access course but I was scolded for thinking that lol xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Hi guys, i want to do btec applied science level 3 and i want to know whether this course is hard or not, and what it contain, also i heard that there are assignments to do so are these assignments done externally or internally? and is the practical work hard and what does it contain? thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending