The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manchester United
I wish Rooney would just **** off.

It's clear he doesn't want to stay at United, otherwise he would've categorically said. Instead, he is making life tough for Moyes.

Me, too.

I think he will go, but we need to buy someone to replace him. I don't want to see him go to another English team.

Original post by zKlown
Yeah it's all over twitter

Is this guy credible?

No idea.

He started off by saying, 'my sources told me...'. Whenever I see/hear that, I always think it's bull****. Rooney probably is annoyed, though. Moyes comments made it sound like he was back up to Van Persie. I do think Van Persie is the better player, but Rooney was never going to be happy to hear it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6601
Original post by NathanW18
Me, too.

I think he will go, but we need to buy someone to replace him. I don't want to see him go to another English team.

No idea.

He started off by saying, 'my sources told me...'. Whether I see/hear that, I always think it's bull****. Rooney probably is annoyed, though. Moyes comments made it sound like he was back up to Van Persie. I do think Van Persie is the better player, but Rooney was never going to be happy to hear it.

But Rooney should have to fight for his place. He's not as good as RVP, and Kagawa will soon be much better in the CAM role. There is no real place for Rooney. If he wants a starting 11 spot, he's going to have to fight for it like Chicharito.
Reply 6603
Nobody is bigger than Man Utd + RVP is better.

That's his problem. Tough luck. If we can get £30m odd for him, ship him off to Chelsea tbh.
Original post by Manchester United
But Rooney should have to fight for his place. He's not as good as RVP, and Kagawa will soon be much better in the CAM role. There is no real place for Rooney. If he wants a starting 11 spot, he's going to have to fight for it like Chicharito.

I agree with you. I guess Rooney believes that he shouldn't have to fight for it.

He started off by saying, 'my sources told me...'. Whenever I see/hear that, I always think it's bull****. Rooney probably is annoyed, though. Moyes comments made it sound like he was back up to Van Persie. I do think Van Persie is the better player, but Rooney was never going to be happy to hear it.

Yeah, the guy is probably talking out of his arse and doesn't have any sources, but I would be very surprised if Rooney wasn't annoyed. I expect him to go this transfer window, I'll be pretty annoyed if we don't make Abramovich pay through the teeth for him though.
Reply 6606
Rooney is not needed in modern football where playing a second striker is not needed, I cannot think of any better second strikers than Rooney but he's not a good enough lone striker any more and he's also not a good enough attacking midfielder or winger. I think its good to Rooney's ego that no team has actually tried to get him of our hands, and the figure going around of £20-30 mil will not exactly excite him, he needs to be cashed in and sold, would you take a swap deal of Cesc for Rooney.
Original post by rohitbd
Rooney is not needed in modern football where playing a second striker is not needed, I cannot think of any better second strikers than Rooney but he's not a good enough lone striker any more and he's also not a good enough attacking midfielder or winger. I think its good to Rooney's ego that no team has actually tried to get him of our hands, and the figure going around of £20-30 mil will not exactly excite him, he needs to be cashed in and sold, would you take a swap deal of Cesc for Rooney.

Barcelona wouldn't take a swap deal so thats not going to happen. Cesc is off the table it wont happen.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Yeah, the guy is probably talking out of his arse and doesn't have any sources, but I would be very surprised if Rooney wasn't annoyed. I expect him to go this transfer window, I'll be pretty annoyed if we don't make Abramovich pay through the teeth for him though.

If this was Chelsea a couple years back, I think we could have gotten a lot out of this, but I don't know now. They seem to be more sensible in the market and Rooney only has 2 years left on his contract.

Original post by rohitbd

Rooney said that he thought his best position was as a #9. I agree with him. I think his best seasons were when we needed him to play right up top. The issue for him is that we bought a better #9.

I would take a swap deal for Fabregas in a heart beat, but that's a fantasy. Barca just bought Neymar.
Reply 6609
This is a failure of utd yet again im afraid... should of sold him at the beginning of the transfer window then used that money plus more to get falcao or cavani. It was obvious that he wanted to go and he seems like a bad apple but now theres no top striker for sale to replace him
To be fair if Rooney sorted out his attitude and his fitness then practically every club in the world would be after him and we'd be desperate to keep him. When his heads in the game and he's not fat there aren't many better forwards around. If Rooney wasn't a horrible scouse **** who hadn't insulted the club on numerous occasions and tried to turn the fans against SAF and didn't have the attitude and fitness issues then I'd be desperate not to sell him, but he is so **** him.
Reply 6611
Original post by Malevolent
Barcelona wouldn't take a swap deal so thats not going to happen. Cesc is off the table it wont happen.

Barca wouldn't sell him for £25 mil, and I'm pretty sure they swapped Eto + cash for Ibra.
Original post by JM1987
This is a failure of utd yet again im afraid... should of sold him at the beginning of the transfer window then used that money plus more to get falcao or cavani. It was obvious that he wanted to go and he seems like a bad apple but now theres no top striker for sale to replace him

The transfer window opened 16 days ago :facepalm:

If this was Chelsea a couple years back, I think we could have gotten a lot out of this, but I don't know now. They seem to be more sensible in the market and Rooney only has 2 years left on his contract.

True, I'd rather have him on the bench than go to Chelsea for £20-£30m though.
Original post by rohitbd
Barca wouldn't sell him for £25 mil, and I'm pretty sure they swapped Eto + cash for Ibra.

That was a huge fail on their part.
Original post by rohitbd

Yeah but we don't need a striker. Right now we need Fabregas and he knows we do. Xavi is getting older and older only means more and more time for Fabregas. We wont sell him for anything.
A Fabregas Rooney swap is even more retarded than us buying Fabregas for £25m :facepalm:

This thread is no good for my blood pressure at the moment.
We can't 'ship off' Rooney to Chelsea. Whether you like it or not, he's been one of the pillars to our success over the past decade. If we do get rid, abroad please. Prefer if we keep him tbh, with the way transfers have been going so far.
Original post by JM1987

We don't need Cavani or Falcao. We have Hernandez and RVP who are more than good enough. We also have Kagawa who will be one of the best CAM's in the league next season. Rooney should be at peak performance right now, hence it would make good business sense to sell him whilst the transfer fee is still worth talking about.

I'd take 20-25m for Rooney, or 25m+ if it's a top English club (Arsenal/Chelsea).
Rooney's going to be sold. Moyes will buy Fellaini and put him upfront behind RvP won't he?

It's inevitable. Ffs :facepalm2:
I'd hate to see Rooney go to a direct rival. The guy is good for 25+ goals a season. He will be good if played as a #9. I find it hard to see him wanting to move abroad. If he leaves, I know it'll be to Chelsea and he'll be great for them.