The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Zürich
Meant that Kroos would shift over and Thiago would play as no.10.

Robben is finished, was never going to fit in with Guardiola anyway.

Manzukic probably wouldnt work so well as part of a 4-3-3 anyway although his movement was crucial for Bayern this season. Saw him live at Arsenal and honestly, Ive never seen an attacker pull defenders around like he did so he will probably have a role.

Gotze as false 9 with Muller/Ribery either side is probably the most likely.

So many options :coma:

Kroos as a wideforward? Surely he's too slow. And when you have Ribery/Robben/Muller/Gotze/Shaqiri to play wide, surely you can't play Kroos there.

Surely Robben will engineer himself a move if he isn't going to get game time? City would love him, as would United, as would Madrid if Bale doesn't work out.
Original post by Row Z
Kroos as a wideforward? Surely he's too slow. And when you have Ribery/Robben/Muller/Gotze/Shaqiri to play wide, surely you can't play Kroos there.

Surely Robben will engineer himself a move if he isn't going to get game time? City would love him, as would United, as would Madrid if Bale doesn't work out.

I wouldnt say he's slow tbf, and he has unbelievable stamina. Doesnt really make sense to play Kroos out wide when you have Muller/Ribery but I'm assuming Thiago will start so Kroos has to move somewhere unless Martinez drops back to CB and Gotze plays as a false 9. Never seen so many world class midfielders together anywhere.

Robben did really well for Bayern this season but his style is in complete contrast to what Pep plays and even if it wasnt, he now has Thiago/Gotze to fight with, He only got game time in the CL because Kroos got injured so he must surely be gone. Ribery will be looking over his shoulder too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
I wouldnt say he's slow tbf, and he has unbelievable stamina. Doesnt really make sense to play Kroos out wide when you have Muller/Ribery but I'm assuming Thiago will start so Kroos has to move somewhere unless Martinez drops back to CB and Gotze plays as a false 9. Never seen so many world class midfielders together anywhere.

Robben did really well for Bayern this season but his style is in complete contrast to what Pep plays and even if it wasnt, he now has Thiago/Gotze to fight with, He only got game time in the CL because Kroos got injured so he must surely be gone. Ribery will be looking over his shoulder too.

It doesn't make sense for Kroos to play out wide because one of his biggest strengths is drifting wide to create overloads vs. fullbacks, by starting him in a wide position you completely negate that strength.

Bayern have added significant strength to their squad so far this summer, they have strong, flexible players and can play in a multitude of different styles, it's what they did so well this season and they will only be better at it next year.
Original post by Zürich

Nah, Ribery's position is safe, he's pretty much undroppable. He was Bayern's best player last year and comfortably in the top 5 players in the world last year.
Jesus little rumblings coming out that Marquinhos joined PSG. Ridiculous...
Cavani to PSG has been confirmed
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Cavani to PSG has been confirmed

Only £55mil..
Original post by Zerforax
Only £55mil..

Worth it tbh - 3rd best striker atm
Worth it tbh - 3rd best striker atm

Yeah he's brilliant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 429
If Cavani is the third best striker, who are numbers 1 and 2?

Falcao is definitely there, who'd be the other? Messi? if you count him as a striker...
Assume Messi is number one?
If Messi counts then Ronaldo should count too.

It's complicated. :tongue:

Then there's RVP too...
Original post by boumavilla
If Messi counts then Ronaldo should count too.

It's complicated. :tongue:

Then there's RVP too...

Id say Falcao is definitely ahead of RVP.
Original post by Malevolent
Id say Falcao is definitely ahead of RVP.

Why so?

I suppose you could say he played in a team with lesser teammates as opposed to RVP, but I think Van Persie offers more on the pitch and not just goalscoring.
Original post by boumavilla
Why so?

I suppose you could say he played in a team with lesser teammates as opposed to RVP, but I think Van Persie offers more on the pitch and not just goalscoring.

Id say Falcao is just as good linking up with team mates. Also think he works the hardest of all the strikers. Not to say Van Persie is bad just Falcao is that good.
Reply 435
Falcao is miles ahead of RVP imo. RVP is a very good player, in the top 10 attackers in the world, but he doesn't enter this discussion.
I meant its:

1. Messi
2. Falcao
3. Cavani
Reply 437
Yeah that's what I thought lol.

Obviously Messi and Falcao first and second, Cavani is as good a shout as any other for third place. Zlatan is another good shout.
I know this is completely irrelevant to the current talking point, but who do you think arsenal will sign?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 439
I meant its:

1. Messi
2. Falcao
3. Cavani

What about Ronaldo?

Quick Reply

Latest