The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manchester United
I think you're absolutely deluded if you think Bayern are clearly better than Barca or Madrid. At the bottom of my post, I've attached a poll on who people thought would win the CL, this was just before the Bayern hype bandwagon kicked in (that you seem to be on). Now, that doesn't represent Bayern as 'clear' favourites. The introduction of Thiago/Gotze isn't going to significantly improve them this year, in the same way Illaramendi and Isco wont significantly improve Real this year. Gotze/Thiago/Illaramendi/Isco are players for the future. Fair play, Bayern were the best performing team last year, but it doesn't mean they're clear favourites this year. I think Madrid are actually the favourites. It was just over a year ago when Bayern edged Madrid in the CL Semi's in a penalty shoot out.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=36223

Bayern are easily favourites. Barca probably second Madrid third. Bayern have the best team not to mention added even more depth.

Madrid until they actually make the final can't be put ahead of Bayern.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Malevolent
Bayern are easily favourites. Barca probably second Madrid third. Bayern have the best team not to mention added even more depth.

Madrid until they actually make the final can't be put ahead of Bayern.

You're also deluded.

I've just provided the skybet link.

Seriously, get off the Bayern bandwagon.
Reply 6662
I think you're absolutely deluded if you think Bayern are clearly better than Barca or Madrid. At the bottom of my post, I've attached a poll on who people thought would win the CL, this was just before the Bayern hype bandwagon kicked in (that you seem to be on). Now, that doesn't represent Bayern as 'clear' favourites. The introduction of Thiago/Gotze isn't going to significantly improve them this year, in the same way Illaramendi and Isco wont significantly improve Real this year. Gotze/Thiago/Illaramendi/Isco are players for the future. Fair play, Bayern were the best performing team last year, but it doesn't mean they're clear favourites this year. I think Madrid are actually the favourites. It was just over a year ago when Bayern edged Madrid in the CL Semi's in a penalty shoot out.

Edit: http://www.skybet.com/football/champions-league

Skybet show Bayern aren't clear favourites.

Did you not notice Bayern 7-0ing Barca this season?

Also if you think those players you've listed, excluding Illara as I haven't seen him enough, are for the future, then clearly you haven't seen them play. They'd walk into every Premiership XI.
You're also deluded.

How am I deluded lol? I think most people would agree with my Bayern are the best team in the world easily. Why would I make things up when I'm a Barcelona fan nutter.
You're also deluded.

If Madrid are favourites with the bookies then there's probably value in the Bayern Munich bet so I'd back those.

Not sure how a team who hasn't reached a final in over 10 years can be favourites ahead of a team who have reached 3 finals in 4 years, are the current holders and probably have the best squad on paper but there you go.

Just saw your Skybet link, Bayern are the favourites. :rolleyes:
Original post by xDave-
Did you not notice Bayern 7-0ing Barca this season?

Also if you think those players you've listed, excluding Illara as I haven't seen him enough, are for the future, then clearly you haven't seen them play. They'd walk into every Premiership team.

Do you guys even read what I write???

I said Bayern were the best performing team last season. Barcelona beat Madrid 5-0 in a game. The next season, Madrid won the league.
Original post by Wilfred Little
If Madrid are favourites with the bookies then there's probably value in the Bayern Munich bet so I'd back those.

Not sure how a team who hasn't reached a final in over 10 years can be favourites ahead of a team who have reached 3 finals in 4 years, are the current holders and probably have the best squad on paper but there you go.

Just saw your Skybet link, Bayern are the favourites. :rolleyes:

Oh my days, you're also not reading.

Bayern are equal favourites; along with Barcelona. This is according to Skybet. I was arguing that Bayern aren't clear favourites.

I'm just going to write the odds out, because I'm wondering as to whether any of you people actually read.

Bayern 4/1
Barcelona 4/1
Real Madrid 5.5/1

Now explain to me how that suggests Bayern are clear favourites.
Do you guys even read what I write???

I said Bayern were the best performing team last season. Barcelona beat Madrid 5-0 in a game. The next season, Madrid won the league.

Your logic...

Bayern are equal favourites; along with Barcelona. This is according to Skybet. I was arguing that Bayern aren't clear favourites.

I'm just going to write the odds out, because I'm wondering as to whether any of you people actually read.

Bayern 4/1
Barcelona 4/1
Real Madrid 5.5/1

I didn't read the earlier posts, but it depends how many people bet on the market as well. Loads of people will be backing Barça, England are always top 3 or 4 with English bookies to win a World Cup for example but that's not an accurate reflection of their chances. Bookies have to shorten the odds so they can guarantee profits.

Bayern are, in my opinion, the clear favourites.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Your logic...

Ha! No.

I'm producing links that support my argument. You lot are just talking ****e.
I was arguing that Bayern aren't clear favourites.

(cough)(cough)

If Madrid sign Zlatan then they have to be favourites for the CL next season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6671

Bayern 4/1
Barcelona 4/1
Real Madrid 5.5/1

The bookies are hardly going to offer huge odds on those clubs. Bayern could have a bad game and go out. Then they've got everyone that took a punt on Barca to win at 8/1 or whatever. It's a business designed to make money, not to measure the distances between teams. For example, Arsenal have lower odds than BVB; in what world does that make sense? In fact, BVB are the worst in that list for some reason, yet they're better than most of those teams. That makes no sense at all.
Don't care what Skybet says, Bayern are the best side in the world at the moment and are champions league favourites.
Original post by TH3-FL45H

Have you read all of my posts?

I initially said Madrid are the favourites. This was my opinion, but my own link showed Madrid aren't the favourites.

My argument was that Bayern aren't clear favourites as someone suggested they were. The link also showed that Bayern aren't clear favourites.

All of you pressing green on other posts, and red on mine deep down know that Bayern aren't clear favourites. Some of you may think Bayern are favourites, but not clear.

PS: I would apologise for all the use of bold and underlining, but most of you can't seem to comprehend that I'm arguing that Bayern aren't clear favourites.

I think it has got to a point where some of you are just trying to keep your pride, but whatever.
Original post by rohitbd
I thought Ancelotti cannot buy any of PSG's players as part of the deal for him to manage Real.
I didn't know about that, I'd just heard rumours of Zlatan's move. Its supposedly a gentleman's agreement, although considering the manager is rarely in charge of player transfer at Madrid I'm not sure what different it would make. I'm guessing the talk of Zlatan's move would be PSG trying to shift him off the wage bill now Cavani has arrived, if they wanted him to move then I'm guessing it would be all fine. He's apparently been left out of their pre season too, for rest :rolleyes:. There is talk of Verratti wanting to leave too, although he's realistically not going anywhere.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think you're absolutely deluded if you think Bayern are clearly better than Barca or Madrid. At the bottom of my post, I've attached a poll on who people thought would win the CL, this was just before the Bayern hype bandwagon kicked in (that you seem to be on). Now, that doesn't represent Bayern as 'clear' favourites. The introduction of Thiago/Gotze isn't going to significantly improve them this year, in the same way Illaramendi and Isco wont significantly improve Real this year. Gotze/Thiago/Illaramendi/Isco are players for the future. Fair play, Bayern were the best performing team last year, but it doesn't mean they're clear favourites this year. I think Madrid are actually the favourites (notice, I am not saying clear). It was just over a year ago when Bayern edged Madrid in the CL Semi's in a penalty shoot out.

Edit: http://www.skybet.com/football/champions-league

Skybet show Bayern aren't clear favourites.

I find it hard to not see bayern as big favourites after there demolition of barca last year..

not to mention R.Madrid just looked really suspect all the way through the last campaign.. they struggled against united.. lost one leg to galatasary, then were taken apart by dortmund, both in the group and knockout stages.. (a team which is a way behind bayern..)

I guess the only argument I can see for them being favourites this year, is that with a new manager, who wont disrupt the team, maybe they will be able to maintain a better cohesion and play as one..
Original post by cost
Chelsea is a grave yard for strikers.. no matter how big the name when they transfer in.. The player becomes garbage.. With the only exception being Drogba

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think this is a little unfair. Since Abramovich came in, we've probably had three big strikers - Drogba, Torres, and Shevchenko. Torres has been a colossal failure, but there were signs at Liverpool before he left that he was declining. Shevchenko was the same - past thirty and losing a lot of his attributes. Drogba was, of course, a colossal success. Aside from that, Nicolas Anelka had a pretty successful time with us (winning on PL Golden Boot), and Sturridge furthered his career with us, even if it's obvious he didn't fulfil his potential with us due to a surprising lack of opportunity. Others, like Claudio Pizarro and Mateja Kezman, were indeed awful, but were never designed to be starters. I'm sure now Drogba has left we'll see strikers start to flourish again.
Original post by fallen_acorns
I find it hard to not see bayern as big favourites after there demolition of barca last year..

not to mention R.Madrid just looked really suspect all the way through the last campaign.. they struggled against united.. lost one leg to galatasary, then were taken apart by dortmund, both in the group and knockout stages.. (a team which is a way behind bayern..)

I guess the only argument I can see for them being favourites this year, is that with a new manager, who wont disrupt the team, maybe they will be able to maintain a better cohesion and play as one..

Yes, I admit Bayern were the best team last season. But a hammering doesn't mean one team is far superior. Also, to retreat back to my first link, a thread was created to ask everyone on who they thought would win the CL (just before Semi's). 17 said Madrid, 10 said Barca, 10 said Bayern and 4 said Dortmund.

Like I said, Barcelona hammered Real Madrid 5-0 in 2010. Next season, Madrid win the title. What happened to Barcelona being clear favourites to win the title?

I agree with exactly what Iniesta had to say after the Bayern slaughter.

"That is many years winning and fighting for everything. If you analyse five years in one [now two] game(s) against Munich it doesn't make any sense. For me, the end of an era is when years pass and you don't win titles"

I still fear Barcelona/Madrid more than Bayern. Knowing that at any moment Messi/Ronaldo could just end the tie is scary.

If I could pick a final for United out of Bayern, Madrid or Barca. I would pick Bayern. As I think we would stand the best chance.
Original post by KingMessi
I think this is a little unfair. Since Abramovich came in, we've probably had three big strikers - Drogba, Torres, and Shevchenko. Torres has been a colossal failure, but there were signs at Liverpool before he left that he was declining. Shevchenko was the same - past thirty and losing a lot of his attributes. Drogba was, of course, a colossal success. Aside from that, Nicolas Anelka had a pretty successful time with us (winning on PL Golden Boot), and Sturridge furthered his career with us, even if it's obvious he didn't fulfil his potential with us due to a surprising lack of opportunity. Others, like Claudio Pizarro and Mateja Kezman, were indeed awful, but were never designed to be starters. I'm sure now Drogba has left we'll see strikers start to flourish again.

Where did Mutu play for Chelsea? I can't remember if he played on the wing or up front?
Where did Mutu play for Chelsea? I can't remember if he played on the wing or up front?

A bit of both, I think. Saw him on the left wing and in the center. Oh, and Crespo wasn't the force he was in Italy, but he did okay given he didn't start all the time.

Latest