The Student Room Group

A few questions, applying as a mature student?

At what age do you become classed as a "mature" student? Is it done on age or how many years you've been out of education?

Also, after how long do your school qualifications become invalid and need to be sat again? I'm from Scotland so sat highers (and did badly). How long is it before doing them again isn't considered re-sitting?

Sorry if that makes no sense I have no clue how this works :frown:

Thanks
Original post by AJ Smiley
At what age do you become classed as a "mature" student? Is it done on age or how many years you've been out of education?

Also, after how long do your school qualifications become invalid and need to be sat again? I'm from Scotland so sat highers (and did badly). How long is it before doing them again isn't considered re-sitting?

Thanks

Hi mate, I'm from Scotland too - and a mature student at 23! Most universities up here class anyone over the age of 21 as a mature student.

Unsure on when exactly your qualifications become irrelevant but if you've been out of education you could do an access course at college then go off to university. Or even just go for an HNC/D at college then uni (if uni is the desired end goal!)

Hope this helps.

Thanks

From what I've seen, most universities want you to have some kind of academic experience within the last three years. I'm not sure about Scottish unis though. I've only really looked at English and Welsh.
Reply 3

Thanks

Most use 21 for "mature" status, although it can differ. I believe that Student Finance use 24 to automatically consider you as independent from your parents.

School qualifications never expire. However, most unis will ask for proof of "recent" academic activity. What this might consist of, and how long ago "recent" means, will differ between unis and courses.

For mature students, entry requirements are much more flexible than those given in the prospectus or on course web pages. I got in on the strength of some recent online courses (one non-accredited, one AS Level) and a good reference from one of my online tutors. The other mature student on my course was required to do an Access course when I wasn't. Of course, the fact that I'd been turning up to Open Days for a couple of years and badgering lecturers direct, may have helped!

My best advice is to try and whittle your course choices down to about half a dozen, then email the course leader and ask for the preferred mature student entry path for that specific course. Explain your circumstances as well - their reply can vary depending on your recent experience and sometimes even professional experience is taken into consideration.

Don't make the mistake of taking a particular qualification such as Access without asking round, thinking that it will automatically get you into uni. The majority of unis and courses will accept the Access route - it's academically rigorous and has a good reputation as an excellent preparation for uni. However, some don't accept Access and might want extra A Levels/Highers instead. Depending on your chosen degree, most will want a specific type of Access course and some want a particular level of Merits and Distinctions within the Access modules.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending