The Student Room Group

Have you changed after Cambridge ?

Just wondering whether any current students (any years) feel they've changed for the better after Cambridge, especially in life/ work skills.

For example, I seem to think there's a "Cambridge / oxford" type where the people are more motivated and speak well... but as an offer holder I haven't matriculated yet, so I don't feel like I'm a "Cambridge type" yet.

Generally after 3 years do you come out a more intelligent person ?
Original post by Kowpall
Just wondering whether any current students (any years) feel they've changed for the better after Cambridge, especially in life/ work skills.

For example, I seem to think there's a "Cambridge / oxford" type where the people are more motivated and speak well... but as an offer holder I haven't matriculated yet, so I don't feel like I'm a "Cambridge type" yet.

Dunno if I came out more intelligent or competent. I came out better able to work on little sleep, better library navigational skills and with the ability to shout at a men's badminton team to get off a court so the women's team could practice though.
Reply 2
Cambridge has a lot more to offer besides coursework. If you organize your time and grab all the opportunities you can, I have no doubts you'll be quite different when you leave. E.g., if you want to develop your speaking skills then the Cambridge Union can definitely help you.
Also, do not pass on the networking opportunities. Always try to talk with the experts of your field of interest, especially when they visit your college; and discuss about anything you can with your friends -- these will be the nights you'll remember :wink:
But be selective, being in the executive committee of five societies might not be very helpful...
Yes i definetly changed for the best.

Soon after i graduated i felt that i was much better at being a snob and i thought i was better than everyone else because i had daddys money. I also have a tendency to bathe in caviar and drink expensive wine in my golden hot tub while taking to william and kate about there baby. But most importantly i have a degree from cambridge and now i can brag about it to anyone that did not get a place there.
Reply 4
Original post by Astarplease01
Yes i definetly changed for the best.

Soon after i graduated i felt that i was much better at being a snob and i thought i was better than everyone else because i had daddys money. I also have a tendency to bathe in caviar and drink expensive wine in my golden hot tub while taking to william and kate about there baby. But most importantly i have a degree from cambridge and now i can brag about it to anyone that did not get a place there.

Amazing right there.

This isn't the 70s, all of those stupid preconceptions are wrong, a very small amount of students are snobby, if you want snobs, go to Harvard, where you actually have to pay for academia and not just get a student loan.

'Daddy's Money', you realise Cambridge costs the same as South Bank, right? 9k a year, same exact thing. In fact, Cambridge reimburses students more than most Universities.

In general, Cambridge students are better than other people. At least, better at their subjects than others.
Reply 5
I gained a much greater appreciation of R.E.M.
Reply 6
Original post by Kowpall

I think there's positive and negative effects - and it's also difficult to distinguish how much that's because I've been at Cambridge and how much I would have changed having gained three years of maturity and a degree from somewhere else.

I feel better able to work through a lot of information at speed, and I feel like my ability to think about statistical/data problems is better. (I don't feel like I know much more about the economy, but I know that's not exclusive to Cambridge economists!) But I do feel I'm finding it much more difficult to work without significant pressure, self-imposed or otherwise, and I know other people have commented on this in the past - when you've been crushed by twice-weekly deadlines for three years, it's hard to work to your best under a less demanding system!

I'd also question the concept of a "Cambridge type" - the one distinguishing feature of Cambridge offer holders is that they're smart and have potential, and I could look at my friends now and identify you many different ways of working, and types of intelligence, and views on the importance and relevance of certain things. In some ways I'm a quintessential "Cambridge type", as in the stereotypes, and in some ways, I'm really not. So I wouldn't worry about whether or not you're a Cambridge type.

I do think almost everyone leaves thinking that it was worth it and that they've benefited.
Original post by Azure-blue
Amazing right there.

This isn't the 70s, all of those stupid preconceptions are wrong, a very small amount of students are snobby, if you want snobs, go to Harvard, where you actually have to pay for academia and not just get a student loan.

'Daddy's Money', you realise Cambridge costs the same as South Bank, right? 9k a year, same exact thing. In fact, Cambridge reimburses students more than most Universities.

In general, Cambridge students are better than other people. At least, better at their subjects than others.

I didn't intend for you to get butthurt as it was a joke.
Deleted post
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Xueni Bian
Lol. Just lol. :biggrin: I don't think there's anything else I should or could do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending