The Student Room Group

name ONE tsr member you like.

Scroll to see replies

There are many but yesterday I saw a thread by a member(does anyone know who it was) about how TSR was sexist and it was a pretty long post and the thread got shut down, I don't remember her username but I have a lot of respect for her as all the points she made I thought were spot on and I admire that she tackled the issue head on.

And before I get attacked I am not a "white knight" just agree with the opinions of a fellow member also am brown so can't be a white knight for obvious reasons :wink:
Reply 301
The members of the I-Soc. :biggrin:
Reply 302
Original post by Zhy
Any female poster.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

pedicure.jpg
I have noted the particular prevalence of people mentioning white knights throughout this thread, but alas, I remain personally unnamed.
The worst is merely opening a discussion about something, not even giving an opinion, and still getting negged.
Reply 305
Original post by TheWhiteKnight
I have noted the particular prevalence of people mentioning white knights throughout this thread, but alas, I remain personally unnamed.

Cool story...
Reply 306
Probably have to go for Superwolf as a TSR member :yes:
Original post by ForgetMe
I think he likes something else than feet :hmmm:

:erm:

Actually, he doesn't.
Original post by CJKay
White knights are also completely ignored by women and are used as a shoulder to cry on whilst expecting sex.

Are you trying to tell me what women do and don't find attractive? :teehee:

This whole "white knight equals unsexy beta male" BS is just used by random guys on TSR looking for an excuse to act chauvinistically TBH.
Reply 309
Original post by Ezekiella
Are you trying to tell me what women do and don't find attractive? :teehee:

This whole "white knight equals unsexy beta male" BS is just used by random guys on TSR looking for an excuse to act chauvinistically TBH.

Ah, but you misunderstand.
The very meaning of the term is to denote chauvinism.

The beta and alpha thing is just for guys that spend far too long in the gym and not enough doing anything useful.
Original post by CJKay
Ah, but you misunderstand.

The very meaning of the term is to denote chauvinism.

The beta and alpha thing is just for guys that spend far too long in the gym and not enough doing anything useful.

I meant "white knights" as the term is usually used on TSR and Damon pointed out - i.e. any guy who says something vaguely feminist or tries to stick up for women in general against misogynists as a decent human being, as opposed to someone who acts like the stereotypical "nice guy" in order to get sex (which is not going to happen with someone on TSR, let's be honest.)
I meant "white knights" as the term is usually used on TSR and Damon pointed out - i.e. any guy who says something vaguely feminist or tries to stick up for women in general against misogynists as a decent human being, as opposed to someone who acts like the stereotypical "nice guy" in order to get sex (which is not going to happen with someone on TSR, let's be honest.)

A real white knight is someone that will defend a woman's opinion, regardless of what it may be. Even if she is wrong, he will still come to her aid. This does happen sometimes on TSR. It is also sometimes used wrongly.

I also don't understand this 'nice guy' thing. No guy that starts a thread that bashes women is in anyway trying to suggest that he is a nice guy. I have read a couple threads where the guys went all out on bashing women's behaviour. The posts that followed always had the term 'nice guy' in it.
Original post by NathanW18
A real white knight is someone that will defend a woman's opinion, regardless of what it may be. Even if she is wrong, he will still come to her aid. This does happen sometimes on TSR. It is also sometimes used wrongly.

I also don't understand this 'nice guy' thing. No guy that starts a thread that bashes women is in anyway trying to suggest that he is a nice guy. I have read a couple threads where the guys went all out on bashing women's behaviour. The posts that followed always had the term 'nice guy' in it.

90% of the time when the term's used on TSR, though, it's just a guy being decent and sticking up for what a girl says/women in general despite some of the hardcore misogynists on here say. Given the TSR demographic and the types of males you often find on here (who tend to be unsuccessful with women or usually not anywhere near the top social pecking order and particularly great with girls), a lot of posters here are much more sexist towards women than not.

The "nice guy" stereotype is used to describe guys who think they're nice people for not being "those evil alpha males" they complain all woman apparently go for, and are consequently entitled to sex as a result.

The woman-bashing threads recently (e.g. the one by Dark Horse) were definitely like that - they basically go "Why do women go out with all these guys who are popular and work out and aren't losers like me, these guys always treat them badly, I don't treat them badly despite the misogynism I'm showing here and are hence nice, women are crazy and illogical blah blah blah." It carries a sense of entitlement, it's like being a successful male makes you evil and being a loser inherently makes you "nice" and entitled to sex.
(edited 10 years ago)
90% of the time when the term's used on TSR, though, it's just a guy being decent and sticking up for what a girl says/women in general despite some of the hardcore misogynists on here say. Given the TSR demographic and the types of males you often find on here (who tend to be unsuccessful with women or usually not anywhere near the top social pecking order and particularly great with girls), a lot of posters here are much more sexist towards women than not.

I do agree with some of that. I have seen posts where the guy has gone way overboard on his insults. A guy that steps in, in those instances is not a white knight.

Although, I have also noticed quite a bit that when a guy disagrees with a girl, he is instantly called a misogynist. Most of those type of threads always get closed, because both sexes end up throwing insults at each other. I can't agree with your 90% figure.

The "nice guy" stereotype is used to describe guys who think they're nice people for not being "those evil alpha males" they complain all woman apparently go for, and are consequently entitled to sex as a result.

The woman-bashing threads recently (e.g. the one by Dark Horse) were definitely like that - they basically go "Why do women go out with all these guys who are popular and work out and aren't losers like me, these guys always treat them badly, I don't treat them badly despite the misogynism I'm showing here and are hence nice, women are crazy and illogical blah blah blah." It carries a sense of entitlement, it's like being a successful male makes you evil and being a loser inherently makes you "nice" and entitled to sex.

I had a discussion with another lady on this so called entitlement. I read Dark Horse's post and their were a lot of insults in there. Some of it was over the board, but I agreed with bits of his post. I didn't get from his post that he felt entitlement. He pointed out the type of behaviour he has noticed from women and the type of guys they went for. If he is wrong, fair enough, but that does not mean he felt entitled to anything.

He never said that any girl should date him, because he was nice. He never said anything about being nice and the tone of his post didn't suggest in the slightest bit that he was nice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NathanW18
I do agree with some of that. I have seen posts where the guy has gone way overboard on his insults. A guy that steps in, in those instances is not a white knight.

Although, I have also noticed quite a bit that when a guy disagrees with a girl, he is instantly called a misogynist. Most of those type of threads always get closed, because both sexes end up throwing insults at each other. I can't agree with your 90% figure.

I had a discussion with another lady on this so called entitlement. I read Dark Horse's post and their were a lot of insults in there. Some of it was over the board, but I agreed with bits of his post. I didn't get from his post that he felt entitlement. He pointed out the type of behaviour he has noticed from women and the type of guys they went for. If he is wrong, fair enough, but that does not mean he felt entitled to anything.

He never said that any girl should date him, because he was nice. He never said anything about being nice and the tone of his post didn't suggest in the slightest bit that he was nice.

Maybe we read different threads (I personally frequent H & R a lot), it's hard to put a ballpark figure on it but I'd say the term is definitely used more than not where it's not meant to be.

I personally thought Dark Horse did come across as entitled and very much so judging by the sheer bitterness of his post: his OP alone basically went like:

-Women all find these types of guys (alpha males who all treat them badly - a logical fallacy in itself) attractive
-Women are silly for doing so
-Women are screwing over ("****ting on," his own words) all the "losers" (again his own words) like him by doing so

Ergo, if women are silly for finding guys with high status who treat them badly attractive and sleeping with them, the implication is that the only logical thing for them to do is sleep with guys with low status (or "losers" as he calls them) like himself who are apparently so much nicer instead. His post was not nice in the slightest, but it was basically a rant about how these guys who are so much more successful than him with women are not nice and women are illogical by sleeping or going out with guys like them instead of him. Hence why he tried to make the point that high status guys (alpha males) all treat women badly which is BS.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
But I am on that list :h: :awesome:

Uni all finished now? How was the project?

Huh, some prick be negging you :confused:

Nah I still have my final year to go, on placement at the moment :emo:
Reply 316
It an Asian username....

Her avatar had some white and black.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Willum Infanta
PoGo HoPz

Doubt it.
Also forgot to give a shout out to Abiraleft and Artymess :danceboy:
Original post by CJKay
I like lotsa people on here. :smile:
Three people straight off the bat I can think of would be eliza.anne, desdemonata and redferry, but there are plenty more.

Me?! Well that was genuinely unexpected.

You're alright I guess :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest