The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6720
Original post by cost
I would take 33 - 40 mil for Rooney

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only if we invest it, no point selling Rooney to a rival and doing an Arsenal and just not buying anyone, would love to sell Rooney to get Bale.
Original post by Manchester United
I was just watching an interview with our latest signing Varela. He said Hernandez helped him by translating stuff and talking to him whilst he was on trial; to try and settle him. This shows how much of a legend Hernandez is. Seriously, he voluntarily helped a kid who may not have even got a contract. What a legend.

He must be the most likeable footballer on the planet. Never seems to put a foot wrong. Class act.
I was just watching an interview with our latest signing Varela. He said Hernandez helped him by translating stuff and talking to him whilst he was on trial; to try and settle him. This shows how much of a legend Hernandez is. Seriously, he voluntarily helped a kid who may not have even got a contract. What a legend.

Hernandez seems like such a great guy. It's impossible to dislike him.
Christ, don't get me wrong it's a good thing to do but the way you guys are talking about him you'd think he'd donated his life wages to charity :lol:

What would other players do? Ignore Varela and watch a fellow Spanish speaker struggle to understand why Rooney is angry and confused?
Original post by NathanW18
Hernandez seems like such a great guy. It's impossible to dislike him.

Yeah, I also wonder if we're underrating his ability too.

He has scored 35 International goals in 53 apps. To think that Messi has 35 international goals in 82 apps, and Ronaldo has 39 international goals in 104 apps. Although, Messi and Ronaldo did get put into the international squad at 18, compared to Hernandez at 21.
Original post by EmperorMustard
Christ, don't get me wrong it's a good thing to do but the way you guys are talking about him you'd think he'd donated his life wages to charity :lol:

What would other players do? Ignore Varela and watch a fellow Spanish speaker struggle to understand why Rooney is angry and confused?

It's not just this, though. There have been multiple good stories involving Hernandez. If you only look at this one alone, it does seem like he's being overly praised.

Varela specifically pointed out Hernandez, even though we have plenty of other players that know Spanish. He's probably gone out of his way to help him.
It's not just this, though. There have been multiple good stories involving Hernandez. If you only look at this one alone, it does seem like he's being overly praised.

Varela specifically pointed out Hernandez, even though we have plenty of other players that know Spanish. He's probably gone out of his way to help him.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure he's a nice guy, but it's - as you said - funny just to read those few posts alone :biggrin:
Original post by jam277
If we're talking about history, then united are the dominant team and they're successful now.
In recent times like you say 21st century onwards then it'd still be united top, chelsea second, arsenal third and city/liverpool for 4th place(considering liverpool were in top 4 and got good cup runs in the rafa benitez era)

If we consider the past 5 years. It's still united. Chelsea a close second, city a bit out in third but above the likes of arsenal/tottenham/liverpool.

Yes, United have edged past the other major PL clubs and been more consistent and won more trophies than them, but not by a huge margin. As I said, United has only edged past them, and that is certainly quite different from being dominant. I'll give you an example dominance: From the year 2000 to the year 2010, United winning 8 Premier League trophies, 6 FA cups (minimum) and 8 League Cups. And let's say that English clubs have claimed six European trophies over this time period, with United claiming four of those six. That is dominance, but clearly United's tally has been much less than that. Take a look at Celtic last season. That is dominance. They grabbed two out of three of the available domestic cups, AND they represented Scottish teams in European competition, going onto reach the Last 16. Note: performing better than any of your domestic rivals in European competition is also a sign of dominance, provided of course that you do this consistently. I hope you see my point. United are first, but that doesn't mean they are dominant. They have undoubtedly struggled to reach that first place. It could easily be Chelsea or Arsenal at the close of next season. That, too, would not mean they are dominant.

He has scored 35 International goals in 53 apps. To think that Messi has 35 international goals in 82 apps, and Ronaldo has 39 international goals in 104 apps. Although, Messi and Ronaldo did get put into the international squad at 18, compared to Hernandez at 21.

Hernandez had a slightly better goal/game ratio last season than Rooney and yet Rooney is seen as the better player and given all the hype.
Original post by Michael McKean
Hernandez had a slightly better goal/game ratio last season than Rooney and yet Rooney is seen as the better player and given all the hype.

Well, I've checked the European goals per minute chart twice. Once, it showed Hernandez having the best goals per minute (just ahead of Higuain/Messi/Ronaldo). Then another time it showed him having the third best (just behind Messi/Ronaldo). It would be interesting to see how many goals Hernandez would score if we gave him the full 90 minutes in pretty much every league game.

It's difficult when you have Van Persie and Rooney in the same squad. He does more than enough to start, but he has those two superstars ahead of him.

Rooney is probably leaving, though, so an opportunity for him to play more may be there.

Original post by EmperorMustard
Don't get me wrong I'm sure he's a nice guy, but it's - as you said - funny just to read those few posts alone :biggrin:

I understand. I'm taking all of what I know about him into consideration. A lot of our fans really like him, because we hear constant good things about his personality.

Rooney rarely (if ever) played as the #9 last season. Hernandez plays right up top, so I'd expect him to score more. A lot of people also don't hype Rooney up any more.
Here guys, I found a link showing the top 10 Premiership goals per minute ratio.

Hernandez, on average, scores every 94.8 minutes. So if we apply Fergie time, that's a goal a game. Awesome.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/130608/premier-leagues-best-minutes-goal-ratio-its-not-rvp-199022

That would be interesting indeed, I forgot he usually only played for part of the games he appeared in. I made my judgement solely on goals to appearances made, so he'd probably look even better if I judge him on goals to minutes like you suggest!
(edited 10 years ago)
Well, I've checked the European goals per minute chart twice. Once, it showed Hernandez having the best goals per minute (just ahead of Higuain/Messi/Ronaldo). Then another time it showed him having the third best (just behind Messi/Ronaldo). It would be interesting to see how many goals Hernandez would score if we gave him the full 90 minutes in pretty much every league game.

That would be interesting indeed, I forgot he usually only played for part of the games he appeared in. I made my judgement solely on goals to appearances made, so he'd probably look even better if I judge him on goals to minutes like you suggest!
Basically summed it up. Very clever by united.

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 33m
Tapping up players enrages English clubs and fans, so it's a big deal. Different in Spain.

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 34m
Mourinho shouldn't have praised the player, now I don't see Rooney going to Chelsea if it's not an offer MUFC can't refuse.

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 35m
Chelsea supposedly unsettled Rooney and Manchester United hit back using the press mentioning an offer including Luiz or Mata.

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 36m
CFC submitted a bid, club rejected it but Rooney was informed by the press. MUFC leaked to the press a fake offer from Chelsea.

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 37m
It's clear there's a war between Chelsea and Manchester United regarding Rooney.
It's difficult when you have Van Persie and Rooney in the same squad. He does more than enough to start, but he has those two superstars ahead of him.

Rooney is probably leaving, though, so an opportunity for him to play more may be there.

I understand. I'm taking all of what I know about him into consideration. A lot of our fans really like him, because we hear constant good things about his personality.

Rooney rarely (if ever) played as the #9 last season. Hernandez plays right up top, so I'd expect him to score more. A lot of people also don't hype Rooney up any more.

Ah, that piece of information practically cripples my argument then. I forgot Rooney played further back since the arrival of Van Persie.
Some people are seriously undervaluing Wayne Rooney as both a player and a marketing tool. Mata/Luiz + cash is the type of deal we should be aiming for if Chelsea is Wayne's destination.
As those tweets from Rafael say, it is turning into a war between Chelsea and Manchester United over Rooney.

I don't believe for a second that Chelsea wanted to off-load their best player (Mata) to us for Rooney plus cash or a defender/DM who seemed to play well towards the end of last season (Luiz). It makes sense that after Mourinho publicly voiced his admiration for Wayne and I imagine other behind the scenes stuff has probably been going on with Stretford by Chelsea that United have thrown in a juicy story that two players, who not until a few months ago, were being linked with a move away from Chelsea, were added in.

I guess it is abit of covert payback although United say they only confirmed a bid. At this rate, they might prefer, if they have to sell Rooney to a PL club, to Arsenal than Chelsea.
Reply 6737
Original post by Aky786UK

I guess it is abit of covert payback although United say they only confirmed a bid. At this rate, they might prefer, if they have to sell Rooney to a PL club, to Arsenal than Chelsea.

Surely if arsenal were after him this is their chance to make a bid?? Arsenal are all talk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6738
Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 3m
PA Sources: Man Utd Chief Executive Ed Woodward has left the club's tour of Australia early to carry out some urgent transfer business.

Probably trying to rope Scholes out of retirement :tongue:
Original post by cost
Surely if arsenal were after him this is their chance to make a bid?? Arsenal are all talk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, for all this "Arsenal are going to spend a crap load of money talk" we've seen nothing from them. Very much doubt they would pay the transfer fee and they certainly wouldn't pay his wages. The way I see it, Chelsea are literally the only viable option in England.

Latest