The Student Room Group

How to get articles published in newspapers?

Hi

Please help me. I write articles which are well suited to publications such as observer, times, guardian and independent. I'm from liverpool and there are a few local publications. I was just wondering how do I approach editors (if this is the standard way) and ask (beg:tongue:) them to publish my work.

I want a professional and straight to the point suggestions please. Plus what should I do regarding fees, if they ask.

Has anybody on here had success. I'm not a graduate, but fact checking and reading my articles they seem interesting, authentic and well written (what teachers have said!)....

any advice,

honestly
Well you need to get them to read your work, that will be a start.

Lots of methods, Internet makes it easier. Try and find name and business address and post with a cover letter. Alternatively, use the likes of twitter or LinkedIn to make initial contact.
Reply 2
Original post by commandant
Well you need to get them to read your work, that will be a start.

Lots of methods, Internet makes it easier. Try and find name and business address and post with a cover letter. Alternatively, use the likes of twitter or LinkedIn to make initial contact.

any tips for a quality cover letter....
honestly
If you can write " interesting, authentic and well written" articles, then a cover letter should be a breeze :wink:

Keep it shorts, and to the point. Introduce yourself, why you have chosen the particular company, and what you want to achieve.
You need to develop an identity as a writer. Start a blog and contribute to websites, send countless articles to every paper, magazine, website and blog under the sun. Don't expect to be paid, people would pay the paper to be given the chance of print space, you are a nobody, however good the writing. Build an audience, start small and work hard.
Reply 5
I've been a journalist for more than 30 years, so I can probably help here.

Someone in your position needs to have an idea of what editors are looking for - rather than you giving them what you consider to be interesting articles.

In these difficult times, there are areas that are not covered so thoroughly by newspapers, such as the arts and sport. Editors might well be interested in a well-written theatre review, for example.

The important thing is to do your research by reading a particular paper over a few weeks, seeing the sort of material they use, working out which areas feature contributed copy (and could do with more), and planning a strategy to write your own material that might be useful to them.

You might also consider writing about something in the news of which you have personal experience - and which would be difficult for a pro to gain access to.

But just to write a feature giving your thoughts on a particular issue almost certainly wouldn't get you anywhere.

The truth is you have virtually no chance of getting a national paper to use your material and only a very slim chance of being accepted by a provincial daily. For authoritative features, they will always go to someone with the relevant expertise and experience.

A weekly is a better starting point. But heed what I said earlier in this post about focusing on certain areas.

I was always told I'd never become a journalist, but I managed it. You can get your writing into print. Just plan carefully... and don't give up!

Oh, I meant to say that if you do get something in print as a one-off contributor, don't expect to get paid!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Double Agent
You need to develop an identity as a writer. Start a blog and contribute to websites, send countless articles to every paper, magazine, website and blog under the sun. Don't expect to be paid, people would pay the paper to be given the chance of print space, you are a nobody, however good the writing. Build an audience, start small and work hard.

For sending articles into papers do you send them directly to a sub-editor/editor or is there a different submission process for freelance writers?
Reply 7
Original post by gloskeith
I've been a journalist for more than 30 years, so I can probably help here.

Someone in your position needs to have an idea of what editors are looking for - rather than you giving them what you consider to be interesting articles.

In these difficult times, there are areas that are not covered so thoroughly by newspapers, such as the arts and sport. Editors might well be interested in a well-written theatre review, for example.

The important thing is to do your research by reading a particular paper over a few weeks, seeing the sort of material they use, working out which areas feature contributed copy (and could do with more), and planning a strategy to write your own material that might be useful to them.

You might also consider writing about something in the news of which you have personal experience - and which would be difficult for a pro to gain access to.

But just to write a feature giving your thoughts on a particular issue almost certainly wouldn't get you anywhere.

The truth is you have virtually no chance of getting a national paper to use your material and only a very slim chance of being accepted by a provincial daily. For authoritative features, they will always go to someone with the relevant expertise and experience.

A weekly is a better starting point. But heed what I said earlier in this post about focusing on certain areas.

I was always told I'd never become a journalist, but I managed it. You can get your writing into print. Just plan carefully... and don't give up!

Oh, I meant to say that if you do get something in print as a one-off contributor, don't expect to get paid!

Thank you for the advice. Helpful :smile:

Much of my writing is centered on South East Asia; Culture, Economics, Politics and Misc. Which sort of papers would accept those submissions for their publication(s)?

honestly

Honestly
Original post by honestly
Thank you for the advice. Helpful :smile:

Much of my writing is centered on South East Asia; Culture, Economics, Politics and Misc. Which sort of papers would accept those submissions for their publication(s)?

honestly

Honestly

If you disagree with my advice perhaps try discussion rather than the meaningless neg, I have had writing published myself, and know of several people doing this on a regular basis.
Reply 9
If you disagree with my advice perhaps try discussion rather than the meaningless neg, I have had writing published myself, and know of several people doing this on a regular basis.

It was not meaningless.

Honestly.
Reply 10
Original post by honestly

It's a tough question to answer. Like I said earlier, newspapers and magazines will always turn to established writers and experts in their field. So unless you have particular experience of those areas you write about, and that experience gives newspapers something significantly more than they already have, I think you'll have your work cut out having material accepted.

I think the suggestion by Double Agent was a good one - that you should set up a blog and put your writing there. People have gained credibility as writers this way because they have produced well-researched, well-crafted pieces that have won a large following.

One other thought occurred to me. One paper I do a lot of work for as a freelance features a weekly column by a student who got her foot in the door by doing work experience.

I'm not sure what your position is, but work experience is a great opportunity to meet the people who really count on a newspaper. If you managed to get a few days with a paper and produced some excellent writing - and got on well with the editor! - it might end up being the break you are looking for.

Good luck again.

Reply 11
Original post by gloskeith
It's a tough question to answer. Like I said earlier, newspapers and magazines will always turn to established writers and experts in their field. So unless you have particular experience of those areas you write about, and that experience gives newspapers something significantly more than they already have, I think you'll have your work cut out having material accepted.

I think the suggestion by Double Agent was a good one - that you should set up a blog and put your writing there. People have gained credibility as writers this way because they have produced well-researched, well-crafted pieces that have won a large following.

One other thought occurred to me. One paper I do a lot of work for as a freelance features a weekly column by a student who got her foot in the door by doing work experience.

I'm not sure what your position is, but work experience is a great opportunity to meet the people who really count on a newspaper. If you managed to get a few days with a paper and produced some excellent writing - and got on well with the editor! - it might end up being the break you are looking for.

Good luck again.

Hi again :smile:

How would I build up traffic and attract readers for my blog?

Honestly

I don't know why you were negged, because this is the problem with people nowadays.

Everyone seems to think they are a valued person and that employers want to employ them. The fact is every school leaver or graduate is a nobody therefore has to start at the bottom. Why people can't grasp this I don't know.
Original post by Runninground
I don't know why you were negged, because this is the problem with people nowadays.

Everyone seems to think they are a valued person and that employers want to employ them. The fact is every school leaver or graduate is a nobody therefore has to start at the bottom. Why people can't grasp this I don't know.

Thank you, I'm pleased someone agrees with me and has a sense of reality.
I might be young, but I have experienced things that I can put into words, in a way people will relate to and want to read. I love writing, and there are certain things I have never told anyone, but I feel like it is time to now, and I feel as if I could make a difference.
Reply 15
Hi there!

I am looking for some advices to convince journalist to interviews me or publish my work as a digital artist / art director / graphic designer. I need 4 publications (print or digital) in order to get my new visa and move back in the USA. I will do some tutorials and I planned to send them to specialized magazines, I am working on poetic images and try to get more visibility with them to attract blogger and I wrote some Q/À about my carrier... In France no one want to help me with that... Any previous advice is welcome. Thank you! 🙏🏻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending