The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmperorMustard
What about a confirmed £30m bid for Suarez?

They knew it would be rejected but wanted to appease the fans.
Original post by EmperorMustard
What about a confirmed £30m bid for Suarez?

Was never going to be accepted. It does look like the club have pulled out of deals for Jovetic and Higuain because they were too expensive though.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Seeing Rooney in a Chelsea shirt would just be so weird :s-smilie:

Same was said about RvP in a United shirt to be fair.
RedCafe...

Spoiler

Reply 6764
Original post by Kenan and Kel
RedCafe...

Spoiler

Haha, that's a good one. Sums it up quite well!
Reply 6765
Hey Guys Whats Up?

I hear we are going to try and buy Cesc :smile: I doubt it will go trough but if it does that would be amazing.

I would be happy with this line up next year - Im placing Fabio there in case he has a "Rafael" Season next year.

De Gea
Rafael Vidic/Rio Jones Fabio
Carrick
Nani Fabregas/Fellani Zaha/New Winger
Kagawa
RVP/Chicho
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6766
Your squad would have been so much stronger with a Pogba/Carrick pairing in midfield.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6767
Original post by Tweek
Your squad would have been some much stronger with a Pogba/Carrick pairing in midfield.

Pogba betrayed us :frown:
Theres been no noise about Garay though...

I think it will be cesc, it's strange that barca haven't turned down the offer
Original post by ledleyking123

Not going to happen haven't you learnt from your Thiago disappointment yet :laugh:
Reply 6770
Original post by ledleyking123

Just because a club doesn't announce they've rejected an offer, it doesn't mean they haven't...
Original post by cost
Surely if arsenal were after him this is their chance to make a bid?? Arsenal are all talk

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd think so wouldn't you. I mean, it seems clear we don't want to sell him to Chelsea and you would have thought Arsenal would see a chance and also considering trying to use some leeway that they sold us RVP last summer etc and cosy up. Wenger seems interested in Rooney but I think he's put off by the wage demands hence he's going for Suarez because he feels he can pay the fee but have Luis on acceptable wages so it fits into their overall structure.

Woodward returning is, I imagine, to handle the Rooney situation as a senior figure needs to be here to handle any developments and I think possibly to bring Baines in. We were reported to be returning with a second bid and I think Everton are looking at a possible replacement so that's the one I'm predicting.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Was never going to be accepted. It does look like the club have pulled out of deals for Jovetic and Higuain because they were too expensive though.

More like not enough value, Arsenal are sitting on roughly 180m cash at the minute so there's probably not a player in the world we couldnt 'afford'. Still think Higuain will happen although tbh 40m for Suarez is much better value than Higuain for 25m all considered. Doubt we were ever in for Jovetic.

Original post by manchesterunited15
They knew it would be rejected but wanted to appease the fans.

So what, the way to appease the fans is to hype up our transfer kitty for literally months, bid for a load of top players to tease the fans and then sign nobody worth noting? What PR school did you attend? Wenger is just his usual cautious self but there'll be absolute carnage if he ends the window without spending big, to the extent that the fans wont want him to resign...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
More like not enough value, Arsenal are sitting on roughly 180m cash at the minute so there's probably not a player in the world we couldnt 'afford'. Still think Higuain will happen although tbh 40m for Suarez is much better value than Higuain for 25m all considered. Doubt we were ever in for Jovetic.

How much money you have sat in your back is literally irrelevant, how much of it you are willing to spend is what matters. I do think you will spend more than you usually spend, but I very much doubt it will be the £70m or whatever it is some people are claiming. We will see though.
Original post by Kutta
Pogba betrayed us :frown:

He felt betrayed by the management team. Swings and roundabouts.
Original post by Akkuz
Haha, that's a good one. Sums it up quite well!

I love how small Modric is compared to Fellaini. And how clueless Moysie looks. Spot on! :redface:
Original post by Zürich

So what, the way to appease the fans is to hype up our transfer kitty for literally months, bid for a load of top players to tease the fans and then sign nobody worth noting? What PR school did you attend? Wenger is just his usual cautious self but there'll be absolute carnage if he ends the window without spending big, to the extent that the fans wont want him to resign...

Hang on, I thought it was 150m a week ago? Or was it 120? I dunno, maybe its all bull and no one knows. :rolleyes:

And you still couldnt afford Messi.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wonder whether we will confirm the signing of Osman/Fellaini/Baines tomorrow or on Friday.
Original post by CB91
Hang on, I thought it was 150m a week ago? Or was it 120? I dunno, maybe its all bull and no one knows. :rolleyes:

And you still couldnt afford Messi.

Posted from TSR Mobile

was 130m officially a few months back but since then the club's banked season ticket renewals(quite a bit of money at 1,000 a pop x 40,000 + corporate boxes) and there are installments from various clubs for previous transfers(in Arsenal's case this is quite a lot of money...) so the its around 180m apparently. Even the interest AFC are earning must be substantial, at a modest 3% a year the club is 14m every 3 years in interest.

Maybe Messi is the exception. But the point stands that if Wenger doesnt sign a player, its not because he lacks the money, its because he thinks a 25m transfer is 500k too much or a 40m transfer is 1m too much...:rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

Just out of interest, do you have a source for those figures?

Latest