The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6500
Original post by malevolent
good move by the giants to resign cruz. Seems like the giants

were the victors in this deal...

:ahee:

cccrrruuuuuzzzzzz
Alfonso Denard arrested on suspicion of DUI. The **** is going on this off season for the Patriots. Worst off season ever...
Can't wait for the next season. I've always been a bit of a flaky NFL fan, I didn't get ESPN America in my house until last year so never really supported one team exclusively, just caught whatever games I could - had a soft spot for the Packers and Giants though.

This year the Browns are looking good. Mingo is a tank!
Original post by Cottam96
Does anyone here actually play American Football in the UK in the BAFA leagues?

Yeah I started in like 2011 and since then I've played running back, tight end, corner, safety, nose tackle, left and right guard and center. I should get a prize or something.
Original post by The Troll Toll
Yeah I started in like 2011 and since then I've played running back, tight end, corner, safety, nose tackle, left and right guard and center. I should get a prize or something.

What kind of godawful team are you on if you've played corner AND guard?! Unless you put on or lost like 6 stone. Is it Maidstone?
Lol, Maidstone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hedgeman49
What kind of godawful team are you on if you've played corner AND guard?! Unless you put on or lost like 6 stone. Is it Maidstone?

Jets (senior) but anyone decent could do it for any uni team (easily) and most senior teams (easily in the NL and harder in the prem). Firstly people overstate how fast skill position players are because while the real players are doing actual work, the **** players get their friends to hand time their 40s and pretend they ran a 4.6. With laser timing a 5.0 is way faster than most skill players in this country which means that pretty much anyone who wasn't picked last for sports in school can play corner. Then you don't really need to be big to play O line. Strength is more important and even with lifts as low as say 2/3/4 you are stronger than most of the fat kids that play on the line so that's easy. So anyone who is ~190 lbs, vaguely does sports and kind of works out can do it so long as they learn technique.

Anyway we're not having the best season but we're 3-4 in the prem, 2-2 with our new QB including a game vs Tamworth and 2-1 with me at center so not really godawful. I don't know who Maidstone are but they're probably worse than us.

Also for new players going to Uni I would 100% do what I did and do as many positions as possible while it's easy so that when you play for a senior team you are more likely to be able to actually help them somewhere and therefore start cos sitting on the bench all summer is just such a bad way to spend ~£200.
Wonder what the heck is going on with Dennards DUI suspicion charge?
Reply 6508
So most websites are opening up their fantasy leagues now. I'll get one set up to draft around late august if there is still an interest here?
Original post by ..DT..
So most websites are opening up their fantasy leagues now. I'll get one set up to draft around late august if there is still an interest here?

Think we might already have one set up :redface:
Reply 6510
Original post by Malevolent
Think we might already have one set up :redface:

in that case is there a spot?? :biggrin:
Original post by ..DT..

I dunno I'm not in it :laugh:

Ask Bornab3 :smile:
Reply 6512
Original post by ..DT..

Last time I checked there was 2 more spots left,

link: tsr13.league.fantasy.nfl.com
password: tsr2013

Posted from TSR Mobile
For some giggles, I actually choked slightly on my food when I saw the headline.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/7/16/4528560/matt-schaub-houston-texans-elite-quarterback

Sad to see Cooley leaving the Redskins as well today but it's probably for the best, man was a legend and deserves to be remembered as such.
Reply 6514
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
For some giggles, I actually choked slightly on my food when I saw the headline.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/7/16/4528560/matt-schaub-houston-texans-elite-quarterback

I hate that word so much!! I don't even know how you define an 'elite' quarterback, a few months ago someone told me that Russell Wilson would be elite if he won the Super Bowl this year. I mean, the kid is good but if Tom Brady, Rodgers and Manning are elite then no way will any QB be in that bracket by his 2nd year!
As for Schaub, hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bornab3
I hate that word so much!! I don't even know how you define an 'elite' quarterback, a few months ago someone told me that Russell Wilson would be elite if he won the Super Bowl this year. I mean, the kid is good but if Tom Brady, Rodgers and Manning are elite then no way will any QB be in that bracket by his 2nd year!
As for Schaub, hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't mind it I usually use tiers to describe the Quarterbacks haha :tongue:
I'm not sure what's so funny. Since Foster exploded and Wade Phillips took over the defense, Schaub is really just a couple of weapons away from at least a Super Bowl appearance. He was really good when he was healthy during the 2011 season (4th best ANY/Attempt, which is generally regarded as one of the more meaningful stats measuring a QB), but everybody seems to forget because we finished the season with Yates, who by the way still won a Playoff-Game for us and was one drive away from saving us against the Ravens.

Schaub is a very good, precise Quaterback, who's only fault is subpar 4th-Quarter performances, which I would again attribute to the fact that when you can't run anymore and Andre Johnson is in triple coverage, the only guys you could throw to was solid, but not game-breaking TE Owen Daniels and Kevin ****ing Walter.

I'm not saying he's Elite. That's a stupid word anyways, but I think he deserves a helluva lot more respect that he generally gets. It's kinda like Phil Rivers. He tends to catch a lot of flak nowadays but at his core, he's still a good QB (with even fewer weapons than Schaub).
Original post by bornab3
As for Schaub, hahaha.

But the debate of eliteness makes for excellent Profootball Mock FB chats <3

Well you're talking to a Seahawks fan here so if we finally win that SB i'd probably go to all the 'elite's' homes and write 'RUSSELL WILSON IS ELITE' on the foreheads of all their children with a mixture of my blood and lipstick.

*awkward cough*... In slighty more seriousness, I think RW still has a bit to go, he has the ocasional accuracy issue and can't yet make that giant throw ala Brady/Rodgers. A lot of issues though just come from the poor play sequence we have going, we're going to become more predictable than the Lions at this rate.

Original post by ProgFeanor

Schaub is a very good, precise Quaterback, who's only fault is subpar 4th-Quarter performances, which I would again attribute to the fact that when you can't run anymore and Andre Johnson is in triple coverage, the only guys you could throw to was solid, but not game-breaking TE Owen Daniels and Kevin ****ing Walter.

I'm not saying he's Elite. That's a stupid word anyways, but I think he deserves a helluva lot more respect that he generally gets. It's kinda like Phil Rivers. He tends to catch a lot of flak nowadays but at his core, he's still a good QB (with even fewer weapons than Schaub).

Full agreement over Rivers, it's a shame how much he gets slighted.

I do agree he is a solid QB with issues on the 4th quarter and some of the blame can be put before the feet of Kubiak but that unreliability is game destroying and when pressure is put on him, he flumuxes and can't make those play saving throws like Rodgers or even Wilson. If memory serves, the few times I saw him last year he also had some very iffy game management as well.
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone

I do agree he is a solid QB with issues on the 4th quarter and some of the blame can be put before the feet of Kubiak but that unreliability is game destroying and when pressure is put on him, he flumuxes and can't make those play saving throws like Rodgers or even Wilson. If memory serves, the few times I saw him last year he also had some very iffy game management as well.

He's a pure pocket QB (unless he runs our famous naked bootleg and fires it 50 yards downfield), so he doesn't keep plays alive very well, and that's one the one fault that he definitely has. I'm not asking for a Russel Wilson-like 20 second scramble, but for Christ's sake. As for reliability, he's actually pretty reliable in medium to short range passing situation, it's just that his targets lack a certain flashiness in the deep passing game.
His game management is alright, but hardly outstanding and most certainly not "elite" (it pains me a little every time I have to utter that word), but I still firmly believe that he's a Top 12, maybe Top 10 Quarterback at this point, and that the Texans could win a Super Bowl with him at the helm, even though the window is definitely closing.

And I know this makes me sound like a Matt Schaub homer, but I've watched the Texans for four years now, and except for last year, Matt was always the least of our problems.

But alas, maybe we can snag David Fales or Aaron Murray in the middle rounds of the draft next year and slowly usher in a new era.
Original post by ProgFeanor

His game management is alright, but hardly outstanding and most certainly not "elite" (it pains me a little every time I have to utter that word), but I still firmly believe that he's a Top 12, maybe Top 10 Quarterback at this point, and that the Texans could win a Super Bowl with him at the helm, even though the window is definitely closing.

And I know this makes me sound like a Matt Schaub homer, but I've watched the Texans for four years now, and except for last year, Matt was always the least of our problems.

But alas, maybe we can snag David Fales or Aaron Murray in the middle rounds of the draft next year and slowly usher in a new era.

'Elite' just needs to be put on banned word list ¬¬ You holding any hope then for a Superbowl appearance this year then? My knowledge of the Texans is fairly basic but as far as i'm aware, you have no big issues.

Latest