The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ShaneJ
He is not my teacher, the head of maths. In school i don't like to show off about things so i try to keep my self to my self. My maths teacher loves me and thinks i am capable but the HOD dose not

Why does it matter what the head of department thinks? If you're getting practically full marks in all the maths exams, which you obviously must be, why does he want to put you in the infamous 'set 5'?
Reply 41
Original post by TenOfThem
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2382693

Hmmmmm I had not realised that you have actually failed GCSE Maths

I am going to be honest ... if you were not capable of self teaching yourself GCSE maths to at least a C then you are not going to be able to do A Level Maths

Wow, he's failed GCSE Maths but understands PhD level maths - that's a new one to me :rofl:
Original post by Noble.
Why does it matter what the head of department thinks? If you're getting practically full marks in all the maths exams, which you obviously must be, why does he want to put you in the infamous 'set 5'?

Perhaps there are an infinite number of sets so set 5 is to all intents and purposes the top group?
Reply 43
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2382693

Hmmmmm I had not realised that you have actually failed GCSE Maths

I am going to be honest ... if you were not capable of self teaching yourself GCSE maths to at least a C then you are not going to be able to do A Level Maths

I think if you read on in that post on an other i eventually got it to an A*, I relised what i was doing wrong in the exam and that was panicking
Reply 44
Original post by ShaneJ
I think if you read on in that post on an other i eventually got it to an A*, I relised what i was doing wrong in the exam and that was panicking

Come off it, I don't know why you feel the need to be posting this tripe but if you start being genuine on the forum you will actually get some proper help.
Original post by ShaneJ

No, in that post you say that you failed GCSE maths

At no point in the thread do you suggest that you have retaken and gained an A*
Reply 46
I am being serious about the maths. I have got a C in maths however i really do understand more advanced things in maths. The simple things do not entertain me one bit so i just don't bother with them. The HOD dose really dislike me and is being serious about not letting me do A Level maths. Everyday i went to school i had to pretend not to understand the things i do because people are not nice when you are smart. I really do need advice on the whole maths and fm, afm
If any of this is real

My advice would be

> Move schools to one where you can do A Level maths
> Choose a sensible selection of A Levels to do alongside Maths
> Consider self-studying FM

Do not study for a degree with the OU whilst at school ... this will jeopardise your chances of funding when you want to go to university
Reply 48
yh mi 2 init i was tooooooo sik @ maths 4 skool init they kiked mi owt, dat wnt stop me doh i swr init blud im goin 2 stdy mafs at uni, dat flewid dienamiks is eeeezy fam
Reply 49
Original post by ShaneJ
I am being serious about the maths. I have got a C in maths however i really do understand more advanced things in maths. The simple things do not entertain me one bit so i just don't bother with them. The HOD dose really dislike me and is being serious about not letting me do A Level maths. Everyday i went to school i had to pretend not to understand the things i do because people are not nice when you are smart. I really do need advice on the whole maths and fm, afm

If you're determined to do A-Level maths you can self teach it. Most people who get a C at GCSE Maths will fail A-Level Maths (or, do pretty terribly) - but there's nothing stopping you self-teaching it all and proving the head of department wrong.
Original post by ShaneJ

Then you will be unsuccessful at A Level
Reply 51
If any of this is real

My advice would be

> Move schools to one where you can do A Level maths
> Choose a sensible selection of A Levels to do alongside Maths
> Consider self-studying FM

Do not study for a degree with the OU whilst at school ... this will jeopardise your chances of funding when you want to go to university

Thanks, The only problem is i have not applied for any other school, what should i do phone some schools up?
Reply 52
Original post by Albino
yh mi 2 init i was tooooooo sik @ maths 4 skool init they kiked mi owt, dat wnt stop me doh i swr init blud im goin 2 stdy mafs at uni, dat flewid dienamiks is eeeezy fam

I am sorry but i can not understand what you are saying.
Reply 53
Original post by Albino

Took me five minutes but I finally was able to decode it...
Original post by ShaneJ
Thanks, The only problem is i have not applied for any other school, what should i do phone some schools up?

Either contact them now or on results day

One thing that I am now confused about = what GCSE grade in maths do you have / are you waiting for a maths grade in August

If you do only have a fail or a C then ignore my advice as no school will allow you to start A Level maths
Reply 55

One thing that I am now confused about = what GCSE grade in maths do you have / are you waiting for a maths grade in August

If you do only have a fail or a C then ignore my advice as no school will allow you to start A Level maths

God, TenOfThem! It's pretty simple to understand, he has a fail, C and A* simultaneously :biggrin: :rolleyes:
Reply 56

I have a C allready and i resat it in june so a grade in august
Original post by J_W-x
God, TenOfThem! It's pretty simple to understand, he has a fail, C and A* simultaneously :biggrin: :rolleyes:

And on top of that he's a cleaver-dick. Ouch!
Reply 58
Original post by ShaneJ
I have a C allready and i resat it in june so a grade in august

If you get a B or above you'll probably be able to do A-Level Maths if you work hard - just self-teach if they refuse to let you sit it in college.
Reply 59
Original post by Mr M
And on top of that he's a cleaver-dick. Ouch!

What do you mean i am a 'cleaver-dick'?

Latest