The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I would advise that people with good academics and a good UKCAT to avoid applying for more than one PS heavy university. This is because it is so subjective. You may think you have a good PS and your teachers may agree along with any doctor that may have read it, but unless they have contacts on the admissions panel you can't be sure the admissions tutors will agree. If you love the medical school then gamble on one. But no more than one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 581
Original post by manupalace
I would advise that people with good academics and a good UKCAT to avoid applying for more than one PS heavy university. This is because it is so subjective. You may think you have a good PS and your teachers may agree along with any doctor that may have read it, but unless they have contacts on the admissions panel you can't be sure the admissions tutors will agree. If you love the medical school then gamble on one. But no more than one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would agree with this (although I gambled on two PS heavy unis and got lucky :biggrin:).
Reply 582
Has anyone previously applied to BSMS? Do they ask you to bring proof of work experience to the interview?? That's what I have just read off the prospectus lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm a re-applicant. What is everyone doing to prepare for the UKCAT exam?
Hey guys, check out the announcement for details of tonights summer series discussion thread :h:
Reply 585
Original post by HCubed
I would agree with this (although I gambled on two PS heavy unis and got lucky :biggrin:).

Where did you apply? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sazam
Hi guys! I'm a medic reapplicant too. Ive applied for about 2 HCA jobs, 1 nursing assistant job, and a job as a assistant ward manager. I've just heard back from the nursing assistant job so far, and I have an assessment, and if I pass that, then an interview. I was wondering, do many people get called to assessments? Although I have been invited, are my chances low? Should I continue to apply for more jobs..

Most people get through to the assessments. The interview is the tricky bit because you appear young and inexperienced within that field, and that's the hardest barrier to overcome. Don't stop applying until they have confirmed that you have got the job.

Original post by hawflo
Hi! I'm also thinking of applying for post-graduate medicine either during the 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 academic year.

In terms of experience, I took a gap year during 2010/2011 and worked as a theatre support worker/auxiliary nurse for seven months. I have also shadowed a consultant in hepatology in 2011 and I'm also shadow him again during August/September. I've also volunteered as a junior mentor at a secondary school in Hackney and I'm currently trying to look for voluntary experience in a hospital environment.

In terms of my academics, I achieved A*AA in Maths, Chemistry and Biology. In addition, I've just finished the second year of my degree in Pharmacology last June and I'm also predicted a first.

Would it be wise for me to apply for graduate entry medicine during 2014 as I don't have much voluntary experience?

It would appear you do have lots of experience in a hospital or otherwise. In which case, don't worry too much about voluntary experience, you have always been productive - i.e. there are no huge obvious gaps. IMO Working as a HCA > volunteer work, as you get given the much more challenging jobs since you are getting paid for it. Overall, I see no reason why you don't have a very, very, very good chance of getting an offer (providing you apply strategically and get at least a 2.1 ). Obviously additional volunteer positions wouldn't hurt, but IMO you don't need it.
Reply 587
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Where did you apply? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bristol, Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
Reply 588
Original post by ameelia22
Most people get through to the assessments. The interview is the tricky bit because you appear young and inexperienced within that field, and that's the hardest barrier to overcome. Don't stop applying until they have confirmed that you have got the job.

Thank you for replying! I feel a bit silly for applying for so many jobs.. If I look young am I likely not to get the job? I've done work experience at a hospital and volunteer at an Alzheimer's society..

Can you give me any tips on how to play my strengths?
Reply 589
Original post by HCubed

Which ones are PS heavy uni's and how do you tell :confused:
Reply 590
Original post by Sazam

Check my sig.
Reply 591
Original post by Revent
Check my sig.

I dont know what a sig is so I just kind of went through your profile? :colondollar: Haha.

You're a healthcare assistant? That is so cool, I have an interview next week and am super nervous. With so many people applying, I'm just worried I'll look too young and inexperienced and won't stand a chance.
What should I expect in the interview/ assesment?
If you don't mind me asking which hospital do you work at, I'm in London too :smile:
Reply 592
Original post by Sazam

I only know about the 4 I applied to and of those Bristol is 80% PS, Leeds is also strongly PS and very particular about what is covered in the PS. Edinburgh is 50% PS.

You need to delve deeply into the uni website to find the document that explains their admission triage process in detail - on the admission pages they will usually have a PDF link to a document that gives you all the info you need. Also open days are very useful.
Original post by Sazam

The assessment is not hard. They will probably test you on numeracy and literacy, which doesn't get more difficult than foundation GCSE (Grade C-G). So don't worry about it. They may also ask you to demonstrate simple clinical skills such as taking blood pressure on a dummy or volunteer, or how to measure blood glucose levels.They will initially show you how to do it. Some may ask you to do a group discussion. What did they say in the invitation? I used Youtube tutorial videos for clinical skills, and it really isn't that hard if you know what to do.
You won't be expected to know how to take blood, use ECG's.

The interview isn't too bad. Just prepare for the common questions such as "Why HCA?", how have you demonstrated leadership, teamwork, communication, What does a HCA do, some ethical scenarios which require some common sense. Look up Infection Control, Patient Confidentiality and Equality & Diversity. Also refer to the person specification, which will be the qualities they'll assess you on during the interview.
)

Answered, and look at this document too.
Google Interview skills - RCN, and click on the first pdf link. :smile:
Reply 594
Original post by ameelia22

It would appear you do have lots of experience in a hospital or otherwise. In which case, don't worry too much about voluntary experience, you have always been productive - i.e. there are no huge obvious gaps. IMO Working as a HCA > volunteer work, as you get given the much more challenging jobs since you are getting paid for it. Overall, I see no reason why you don't have a very, very, very good chance of getting an offer (providing you apply strategically and get at least a 2.1 ). Obviously additional volunteer positions wouldn't hurt, but IMO you don't need it.

Thank you so much for replying to my post!! I'm going to wait and see what I get after I complete my UKCAT exam. I didn't do much during first year due to personal reasons but I'm glad that I did some extracurricular activities during my second year! Good Luck with your medicine application btw :smile:
Original post by Sazam
Thank you for replying! I feel a bit silly for applying for so many jobs.. If I look young am I likely not to get the job? I've done work experience at a hospital and volunteer at an Alzheimer's society..

Can you give me any tips on how to play my strengths?

You just have to go for it. You might not get any, you might get them all (in which case you get your pick of the crop)- which position would you rather be in?

Not at all, but just think about it if you were the employer. You've got someone fresh out of school, no HCA experience, few experiences at all actually since they are just 18. Then you have someone who is 24, been on the job market for a while, has more life experience even if they don't have previous HCA experience - more likely to stick around with you for longer.

Contrary to this, at one of my interviews, i mentioned to the lovely lady conducting the interview, that "I know I'm young, and just out of school but I am really committed and determined to work hard, do my best etc," and she said she actually preferred applicants with little HCA experience, because it meant they weren't stuck in their ways, and would learn how to do things to the standard she wanted.
Then at another interview, I was told I needed more experience in a paid role, because volunteer work wasn't good enough, and didn't expose me to the more challenging aspects of the job. Swings and roundabouts.

Unlike a medical school application there is no real way to manipulate the game so you have the best chance of winning. You are already ahead of most other people, decent GCSE's and predicted top A-levels, and plenty of volunteer work, and have made the effort to get into hospitals.
What I would do, is if your confident speaking, ring ahead. Ring the contact number, and just ask some questions. It doesn't really matter what they are, as long as you make a good impression on the phone, and they know your name. Then hopefully whenever they do go through the applications, they'll see and remember your name. You just have to appear like you really want it, and don't be afraid to throw the sympathy card down.
I would normally say, "Hi, I'm blah blah, I've just applied for blah blah, and I hope you don't mind me calling, but I just had a couple of questions...how many applications have their been, how many are you interviewing or whatever, as I say, my name is blah blah, and I really hope I make the cut for interview, it being so competitive or whatever...well anyway, my name is blah blah so you'll hopefully come across me soon..!" or whatever. The point is they remember your name.
Reply 596
guys after results day, say you get A* A* B or A* A B is there still a chance you'll be accepted into undergraduate medicine or would you have a better shot at resitting? then re applying
Original post by mattan
guys after results day, say you get A* A* B or A* A B is there still a chance you'll be accepted into undergraduate medicine or would you have a better shot at resitting? then re applying

Only Keele would consider A*AB. You could apply there next cycle plus resit for a shot at the unis who don't mind that (BSMS, Plymouth, Exeter IIRC).
Reply 598
Original post by Sazam
I dont know what a sig is so I just kind of went through your profile? :colondollar: Haha.

You're a healthcare assistant? That is so cool, I have an interview next week and am super nervous. With so many people applying, I'm just worried I'll look too young and inexperienced and won't stand a chance.
If you don't mind me asking which hospital do you work at, I'm in London too :smile:

Look for one of the threads I created, it's called Revents Freedom of Information....etc..

Yeah, good luck with your interview! Talk about a time you looked after someone, can be anyone really, talk about medical work experience you did, importance of confidentiality, and that you can prioritise tasks and what not :tongue:

I work at the Homerton in Hackney :smile:
Reply 599
I've applied for a ton of local "health related jobs" including a carer job. They called me today but I was driving so my friend picked up and the lady was from AlliedHealthcare (I applied for a job there). However I said I'd call back but by that time they'd closed! I leave for holiday tomorrow so I wont be able to contact them for 3 weeks! What's the chance I was offered an interview? I mean people generally don't call up to reject you right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending