The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So the MU chief exec goes back on 'urgent transfer business' and Mourinho has stated that it's Rooney or nothing (with no players going the other way).

I think Rooney would be a very good signing for Chelsea tbh. He gives you insurance on the number 9 position because you know that he should bang in a good number of goals over the season, but his ability to play behind the striker or even out wide (especially in a 433) means that he won't necessarily hamper the development of Lukaku. Lukaku can still be played up top on a regular basis with Rooney dropping behind to give Mata a rest, thus reducing the pressure on him because lets face it, while Oscar etc...have great potential and ability, I wouldn't feel comfortable actually relying upon them to play that role against decent opposition.

Likewise Lukaku is still young, and if he were first choice, even if he did live up to expectations, he will inevitably go off the boil at some point because he's still developing. While Chelsea don't necessarily rely on a striker to score 30 goals a season, a decent striker is still needed, and I'm not convinced that either has the quality on a consistent basis.

One of Torres and Ba do need to go though, none of them will be happy on the bench 95% of the time.
Mourinho has just said that all Chelsea's intentions are focused on signing Wayne Rooney.

I don't believe him for a second. I don't think he would be stupid enough to put all his eggs in one basket for a player that half of the Chelsea fans don't even want.
So judging by Mourinho's comments, do we still want De Rossi? It'd be a massive shame if we didn't get him.
I missed the game - how did we do? An underwhelming scoreline, it would seem, but obviously that doesn't tell the entire story...
Original post by KingMessi
I missed the game - how did we do? An underwhelming scoreline, it would seem, but obviously that doesn't tell the entire story...

Haha in this case it kinda did.

Caught the first half - Wallace and KDB played well. Composed penalty from Lukaku. Schurrle looks a bit too one-footed, and seemed reluctant to play off his left side. He looked pretty good though.

Didn't see much of the second half, but it looked like a drab. It didn't help when Singha were playing everyone behind the half way line.
Original post by Isometrix
Haha in this case it kinda did.

Caught the first half - Wallace and KDB played well. Composed penalty from Lukaku. Schurrle looks a bit too one-footed, and seemed reluctant to play off his left side. He looked pretty good though.

Didn't see much of the second half, but it looked like a drab. It didn't help when Singha were playing everyone behind the half way line.

I hate these ultra-defensive teams, especially in friendlies. What's to lose?

Glad to see Lukaku scoring, penalty or otherwise. It's a shame we couldn't score more. And it's interesting that Wallace caught the eye - I doubted we'd ever see him.
Reply 4286
Original post by KingMessi
Pretty well all round, Singha played with 10-men behind the ball hence the low scoreline, had a few chances we should have scored but Singha were somewhat better than I expected, (I suppose they did beat United) particularly defensively. Wallace was brought down in the first half and Lukaku converted the penalty.

In terms of individual performance of some of the new players:

KDB - MoM for me, played the majority of both halves very well and was always looking to make things happen, played out right during the first half but in the centre during the second, I think he looked sharper playing down the middle.
Schurrle - Didn't play particularly well. He seemed overly nervous, like the pressure to impress had got to him. Not a major concern though.
Wallace - Played very well, won us the penalty and looked strong going forwards (had no real need for much defensive work). Really stood out.
Kalas - Looked solid, but barely had anything to do.
Chalobah - Also looked pretty solid, made a mistake but he made up for it instantly, also had very little to do.
Van Ginkel - Not a particularly noteworthy performance, don't really have much to say either way, seemed decent enough though.
Piazon - Didn't really impress, nothing terrible though.
Lukaku - Had a few decent shots on goal and his penalty was very well taken (with a tonne of power). Held the ball up well and generally looked good. A shame he only played the first half.
Bertrand Traore - Made an appearance for the last 20 minutes or so, looked pretty good for a 17 year old.

Amongst the rest of the team, not a lot to say. Ramires wasn't that great, Demba Ba was the Demba Ba we've seen so far. Hazard looked very dangerous though.
Reply 4287
Wallace is going out on loan next season:

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/7/17/4532306/chelsea-confirm-wallace-will-head-out-on-loan-but-dont-tell-us-where
'Wallace is a very good player. He is mature for his age - comfortable on the ball and he likes to attack. He is not staying with us because we have Ivanovic and Azpilicueta for the same position, and also because he is not from an EU country and we need to get him a visa and it is maybe too early for the committee, so he will go on loan for one season in Europe but I think you can see the kid has talent and is another good investment by the club.'

Original post by The Assassin
So judging by Mourinho's comments, do we still want De Rossi? It'd be a massive shame if we didn't get him.
I think he's just said that to put pressure on the situation, would make things a lot easier for us if Rooney requested a transfer.

I'm skeptical about us getting De Rossi anyway, just can't really imagine Roma selling him. And the reported Wallace loan deal is probably off now (if it was ever on) as Roma bought Maicon. Although we've just arranged a friendly with them on the 10th in DC, so who knows, could be part of a deal? :dontknow:
Reply 4288
Original post by Zerforax
Mourinho trying to WUM Moyes with the Rooney bid? Obviously knows he's an unsettled player who will go public about his unhappiness.

I think he's trying to test Moyes and there's a hidden undertone here. He knows that united are the favourites for the title so he's starting the mind games now and trying to test moyes resolve early on and in doing this unsettles united as he's a key man/big name for them.
Reply 4289
Original post by Nickini
Wallace is going out on loan next season:

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/7/17/4532306/chelsea-confirm-wallace-will-head-out-on-loan-but-dont-tell-us-where

I think he's just said that to put pressure on the situation, would make things a lot easier for us if Rooney requested a transfer.

I'm skeptical about us getting De Rossi anyway, just can't really imagine Roma selling him. And the reported Wallace loan deal is probably off now (if it was ever on) as Roma bought Maicon. Although we've just arranged a friendly with them on the 10th in DC, so who knows, could be part of a deal? :dontknow:

with rooney I know he's a guy that Jose likes a lot but I think that he would be fine if we didn't get the guy and tbh the De Rossi transfer did not really seem likely
Reply 4290
We're playing Roma in a couple of weeks. Could be interesting with regards to De Rossi.
But I guess this all depends on whether Mikel is actually sold then or not.
Reply 4291
Original post by jam277
with rooney I know he's a guy that Jose likes a lot but I think that he would be fine if we didn't get the guy and tbh the De Rossi transfer did not really seem likely
I agree. Rooney would be good but I think we'll be fine without him. Don't want to see us pay more than £35m for him either.

Hulk's moved to Monaco, £52m. Completely ridiculous. At least now we definitely won't get him, thank ****.
Reply 4292
Original post by Nickini
Hulk's moved to Monaco, £52m. Completely ridiculous. At least now we definitely won't get him, thank ****.

That is a ridiculous amount.
Why anyone would pay that is beyond me. Monaco are idiots.
Reply 4293
Original post by Tweek

For a guy in terrible form too :lol: Ranieri wants to buy the porto squad I guess
I'm just glad we didn't spend **** loads on Cavani, £54 million for him is just unbelievable.

I don't think we need Rooney, but perhaps Mourinho is seeing something I'm not.
Original post by Tweek

Oh the Irony :rolleyes:
Reply 4296
Original post by sevchenko

Failing to see the irony I'm afraid.
Reply 4297
Care to explain?

Most people would agree half that fee would be overpaying for Hulk based on his form this past season.
Reply 4298

Yeah torres we know but lets be honest that was a panic buy as we were 4th/5th at the time Hulk on the other hand has been terrible the past season (had an argument with a guy saying he's world class and tried to insinuate that he watched him)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tweek
Failing to see the irony I'm afraid.

Original post by Nickini
Care to explain?

Most people would agree half that fee would be overpaying for Hulk based on his form this past season.

Original post by jam277
Yeah torres we know but lets be honest that was a panic buy as we were 4th/5th at the time Hulk on the other hand has been terrible the past season (had an argument with a guy saying he's world class and tried to insinuate that he watched him)

£30m for Shevchenko
£50m For Torres
End of Argument

Its unbelievable a chelsea fan can criticize Monaco for spending too much on a player. Chelsea, Monaco, PSG and City are the same. I get what youre saying Jam but 50m for such a massive fail, come on guys there's no argument here.