The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
'Elite' just needs to be put on banned word list ¬¬ You holding any hope then for a Superbowl appearance this year then? My knowledge of the Texans is fairly basic but as far as i'm aware, you have no big issues.

I think this could be our year. Of course, I thought last year was our year, too.
Reply 6521
Original post by ProgFeanor
I'm not sure what's so funny. Since Foster exploded and Wade Phillips took over the defense, Schaub is really just a couple of weapons away from at least a Super Bowl appearance. He was really good when he was healthy during the 2011 season (4th best ANY/Attempt, which is generally regarded as one of the more meaningful stats measuring a QB), but everybody seems to forget because we finished the season with Yates, who by the way still won a Playoff-Game for us and was one drive away from saving us against the Ravens.

Schaub is a very good, precise Quaterback, who's only fault is subpar 4th-Quarter performances, which I would again attribute to the fact that when you can't run anymore and Andre Johnson is in triple coverage, the only guys you could throw to was solid, but not game-breaking TE Owen Daniels and Kevin ****ing Walter.

I'm not saying he's Elite. That's a stupid word anyways, but I think he deserves a helluva lot more respect that he generally gets. It's kinda like Phil Rivers. He tends to catch a lot of flak nowadays but at his core, he's still a good QB (with even fewer weapons than Schaub).

I agree with almost all of that, I wasn't implying that he's a bad quarterback, you just have to look at his team's record. But my point was that if there's one word to describe the best quarterbacks in the league, then the same word shouldn't be used for matt Schaub that is used for Tom Brady.

I agree with Malevolent that instead of this stupid word there should be like a tier system with only the three(maybe 4) QBs that we all know are the best being called elite or 1st tier or whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6522

Well you're talking to a Seahawks fan here so if we finally win that SB i'd probably go to all the 'elite's' homes and write 'RUSSELL WILSON IS ELITE' on the foreheads of all their children with a mixture of my blood and lipstick.

Dude it's the middle of the night here and everyone's asleep, you can't be making me laugh out loud like that! :smile: :biggrin:

But in all seriousness I actually do hope you win the Super Bowl (if it's not the giants) this year, I really like the Seahawks and I think RW is such an awesome talent and he is only gonna get better, I see you guys getting to the championship game at least this season!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bornab3
I agree with almost all of that, I wasn't implying that he's a bad quarterback, you just have to look at his team's record. But my point was that if there's one word to describe the best quarterbacks in the league, then the same word shouldn't be used for matt Schaub that is used for Tom Brady.

I agree with Malevolent that instead of this stupid word there should be like a tier system with only the three(maybe 4) QBs that we all know are the best being called elite or 1st tier or whatever.

Yeah, I think we can all agree on that. I'd probably even say that Schaubs only a borderline 2nd-3rd tier (more like 3rd) QB in this league. But still, my point is that he's getting a lot of undeserved flak, not from you guys, but in general, and especially amongst Texans fans who are fed up with losing Divisionals :biggrin:
Original post by bornab3
Dude it's the middle of the night here and everyone's asleep, you can't be making me laugh out loud like that! :smile: :biggrin:

But in all seriousness I actually do hope you win the Super Bowl (if it's not the giants) this year, I really like the Seahawks and I think RW is such an awesome talent and he is only gonna get better, I see you guys getting to the championship game at least this season!

<3

Ehhh, something will go wrong, it always does. Golden Tate will inevitably get injured, we'll play predictable sequence again, Sherman will turn out to be a puppy eating cokehead... That's unlimited possibilities to how this season could fail miserably :rolleyes: I'll feel better if we beat the 49ers in our first game, have a nice lil' repeat of Christmas eve last season and just hope that St Louis and Arizona haven't improved too much. We struggled against the former both times last year and they are looking pretty and the Cardinals have had a way too good an offseason for my liking. Why can't we go back to Denver's division? :grumble:
Original post by bornab3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think we can all agree on that. I'd probably even say that Schaubs only a borderline 2nd-3rd tier (more like 3rd) QB in this league. But still, my point is that he's getting a lot of undeserved flak, not from you guys, but in general, and especially amongst Texans fans who are fed up with losing Divisionals :biggrin:

My tier rankings are like oh and the tiers are not in any specific ranking sort of order.

First tier.
- Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees

Second tier
- Roethlisberger, Eli, Ryan, Flacco, Stafford

Third tier
- Schaub, Romo, Newton, Rivers, Vick

I don't put rookies in there till their second year :smile:
Original post by Malevolent

First tier.
- Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees

Ah Brees, if only you could have a team worthy of your talents..

Oh and I think we're all missing an important candidate in this 'elite' (shudder) talk.

Spoiler

He was the gift that kept on giving :daydreaming:
(edited 10 years ago)
Ah Brees, if only you could have a team worthy of your talents..

Oh and I think we're all missing an important candidate in this 'elite' (shudder) talk.

Spoiler

:daydreaming:

Oh Sanchez haha. I see a lot of Tannehill in Sanchez.

Love Brees. Oh yeah I forgot about Cutler haha! I wish Rivers had a decent O line.
Sanchez's playing ability, while not great, was really the least of the Jets' problems last year. Their organization was horrible (which is why the main play people use to make fun of Sanchez involves the running back going in completely the wrong direction), and it will be interesting to find out whether that was bad leadership on Sanchez's part, or Ryan's, or even Mangold's, or incompetence in the backfield, or Tebow's fault or just incompetence throughout the organization. Every game I saw the line+backs allowed at least one free hit on Sanchez. It was pretty bad. If there's one organization that won't solve their problems with a QB change it's the Jets. And the Cardinals I suppose.

It's pretty hard to look at the full package of QBs at different stages in their careers. RG3 has probably been the best of the rookies but in terms of being a 10 year investment he also looks the shakiest. Wilson is obviously the best value in the league. Tannehill still has the potential to justify his top 10 pick no matter what anyone says. Luck is pretty much as good as everyone expected. It's just impossible to compare them to say Manning who only has a couple more years left in the league.
I think this could be our year. Of course, I thought last year was our year, too.

Same here. At least we managed to finally chalk up a post-season win... that surely counts for something (I told myself as I watched a seventeen-point lead turn to dust).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6530
Original post by bornab3
Last time I checked there was 2 more spots left,

link: tsr13.league.fantasy.nfl.com
password: tsr2013

Posted from TSR Mobile

All joined up. Not a huge fan of the NFL layout but will have to make do :biggrin:.

Gonna have to get a few mocks in once preseason starts so I can get my eye in lol.
Looks like Von Miller will be suspended for violating NFL substance policy...
(edited 10 years ago)
Random happy fun time video from the past <3

[video="youtube;KKHKtkct5Hw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKHKtkct5Hw[/video]

And that is how you get a first down. I wish we could go back to the AFC division, that was a proper rivalry with the Broncos, the one with the 49ers just seems forced.

Original post by Malevolent
Looks like Von Miller will be suspended for violating NFL substance policy...

I always have to sigh with relief when a substance abuse ban comes on the news and it's not a Seahawks player :rolleyes: It's only four games though, the Bronco's defensive is still one of the best ones going even if they struggle at the middle linebacker position. Plus they have the easiest line-up of anyone going, they'll be fine even if you do have to question to genius of Von Miller (surely if you're as good as him it's a silly risk to take?).
A 4 game suspension hardly constitutes risk when you think about the possible rewards. If you're questioning any decision making you have to question any (probably hypothetical) NFL player not using PEDs. When you're on the field facing 11 genetic freaks who get paid 6 figures to take drugs and hit you in the face you can't bring a knife to a gun fight no matter how talented you think you are.

I wonder if it will ever become common knowledge that pretty much 100% of concussions in the NFL have been and will be caused by steroid users, and that Roger Goodell refuses to test anyone properly or give a serious punishment. I wonder what the legality of that will be in terms of him being liable. Could be interesting but probably won't be I guess.
Original post by The Troll Toll
A 4 game suspension hardly constitutes risk when you think about the possible rewards. If you're questioning any decision making you have to question any (probably hypothetical) NFL player not using PEDs. When you're on the field facing 11 genetic freaks who get paid 6 figures to take drugs and hit you in the face you can't bring a knife to a gun fight no matter how talented you think you are.

I wonder if it will ever become common knowledge that pretty much 100% of concussions in the NFL have been and will be caused by steroid users, and that Roger Goodell refuses to test anyone properly or give a serious punishment. I wonder what the legality of that will be in terms of him being liable. Could be interesting but probably won't be I guess.

Proof? This is total bull**** if you ask me. If you play on the line for any amount of time you will get concussed. Unless you are claiming that all linemen take steroids?

They also haven't confirmed what Von is being done for - it could be anything from PEDs to weed
Original post by Hedgeman49
Proof? This is total bull**** if you ask me. If you play on the line for any amount of time you will get concussed. Unless you are claiming that all linemen take steroids?

Of course that's what I'm saying and of course I don't have proof. I know that steroids work and I know that NFL players are not seriously punished for using them, so it's an educated inference that everyone is using them.
Original post by The Troll Toll
Of course that's what I'm saying and of course I don't have proof. I know that steroids work and I know that NFL players are not seriously punished for using them, so it's an educated inference that everyone is using them.

I don't think everyone in the NFL uses steroids. But I do think there would be a significant minority testing positive if Goodell actually tested them properly
Original post by Hedgeman49
I don't think everyone in the NFL uses steroids. But I do think there would be a significant minority testing positive if Goodell actually tested them properly

I'd be shocked if only a minority were using. I think 75% would be a conservative estimate.
The punishment for PED abuse in the NFL is way too lenient. I'd bet at least 60 are on some sort of performance enhancing drug and that's being conservative...

Latest