The Student Room Group

Funniest msn memories?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Secretnerd123
What was that

It was a 'chat bot' that you could talk to and ask questions - basically a live demonstration of artificial intelligence because it was able to hold fairly lengthy conversations and could remember details that you'd told it (e.g. your name or your job) and if you swore at it then it would refuse to answer any more questions until you apologised!

Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmarterChild
(edited 10 years ago)
-Remember the 30 second voice recordings you could do, I used to sing the Harry Potter theme tune into them :frown:
-Those massive group conversations that someone would inevitably add you to
-Not funny and not so much to do with msn, but in year 7 a girl sent me a link over msn, it was to one of those things when you type in your crushes names and says how compatible you are. Me being a gullible idiot filled it in, only for my names to be instantly sent to the girl who gave me the link :dry:
Ah good old MSN

You have just sent a nudge...
nudge wars! :biggrin:

playing checkers

putting a little turtle with your name as a mark of respect when Steve Irwin died.
Original post by RightSaidJames
It was a 'chat bot' that you could talk to and ask questions - basically a live demonstration of artificial intelligence because it was able to hold fairly lengthy conversations and could remember details that you'd told it (e.g. your name or your job) and if you swore at it then it would refuse to answer any more questions until you apologised!

Wikipedia page:

Remember my cousin talking to that and my uncle being convinced it was just some pedo...lol
Reply 24
Sending the pig that would dance around on the screen to your friend......ah fun times :biggrin: oh and the cringeworthy names of course!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
hi
hi
uk?
yh u?
yh wubu2
nm u?
nm

Part of my daily routine back then
"My webcam is broken"
Playing Minesweeper Flags! :rolleyes:

:rofl: This is hillarious
Reply 29
I remember once I was on webcam with some girl and her dad walked I had to pretend I was an advert
Reply 30
Good times but also not so great times too...

I remember when i was very young and msn was very popular, my uncle was using it, and there was this bot that would talk to him, he was showing me it. It may have been smarterchild, who knows, i was young and had no idea.

He then started laughing so i went to his computer and asked why, and he said look. I looked at the screen and saw this other woman (had a female name) talking to my uncle casually but calling him penis. My uncle said that it wasnt a real person but a bot, and the bot thought his name was penis.

It went something like this

Uncle: Hi how are you?
Bot: Hi, penis, i am good, you?
Uncle: Thank you, yes i have been on holiday
Bot: Good on you penis, we should go together sometime.

Not exactly that, but generally what i remember was holiday and penis.

Thats probably the most vivid memory i have of MSN. For some reason, it still makes me laugh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by xDave-
hi
hi
uk?
yh u?
yh wubu2
nm u?
nm

Part of my daily routine back then

Such in depth conversations. Also nice sig, very disturbing. :lol:

I remember when people would add me and I'd attempt to have an actual conversation. They'd often send back responses like 'kk' 'lol' 'yh' then I'd stop talking and they'd be like 'y u stop talkin'. So much time wasted on MSN. Sigh.

Wikipedia page:

If you want to relive it, clever bot is similar, but a bit more well clever:

http://www.cleverbot.com/

And it's harder to abuse. This just made me lol

Clever bot wants to murder me:

http://www.cleverbot.com/j2log-uCtMCoBQRGZGXAZSIATG-detail
(edited 10 years ago)
The good old days.

Watching this tread reminds me of many things.
- keep checking out the status/avatars of someone you really fancy
- show as Offline to prevent from getting annoyed or pretend you are out
- over the moon when seeing ur crush is typing and drastically disappointed as it turned out he didn't send you anything at all
- feel excited when seeing some people online
- constant efforts to get one's msn in a natural way:smile:
- discuss something you won't talk about in person with your mates
- keep changing the text fonts and colours to make yourself look cool
- a nice way to apologise and make confession
Damn I'm gonna miss it now:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh, and moved to Chat.

Wikipedia page:

Loool thats so cool! Why didnt i know about that?? :frown: could it help with homework

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes! Sending nudges until their computer jammed.. :colone: then everyone else found out about it, bummer.
When i first made msn i had the most cringeworthy name omg, it was something along the lines of mizzcandy something. But others had crazy ones like 'baybeesparklesz' or 'missStaarh' or something lmao 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
- Seeing the girl/boy you fancied sign in and then you wait like 5-10 minutes before typing hi so you don't look like needy or psychotic.
- Spamming the nudge button just to annoy the other person.
- Asking other people if someone has blocked you.
- Spending 5 hours on Sunday talking to someone and then the next day at school, you don't say a word.
- Telling the person you fancied that you fancied them and then ran away from the p.c.
- The other person taking forever an a day to reply and then you get an anti-climatic "kk" as the reply.
- Creating the most cringeworthy email address to create your msn account
Original post by Technetium
Being rude to SmarterChild.

This!

And all the weird custom emoticons you could download.

Quick Reply