The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tenconipaola
I also made my offer about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't changed, but the offer from my insurance uni turned unconditional. Maybe it takes a while for the results to be processed

It's unlikely, but possible, that they're waiting for after A Level results, and will process them in bulk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 441
I'm sure some people on the FB page said that the uni didn't receive their IB results, so maybe some of you might want to contact admissions to see if something similar has happened to you?
Reply 442
I send them the results myself and got the confirmation, but from then on, no feedback. ;/
Original post by NeoNerd
The university has an excellent gym in the Centre for Sport and Exercise. It's on the Pleasance, which is fairly central. Full membership for a student is £102 for the year. That's much cheaper than any other gym, and it's a good gym with great facilities.

Afraid I'm not familiar with the KB gym, but I beleive that EUSA run it, so it's a separate membership fee.

I've never been to any gym that's not the CSE, but that doesn't matter. CSE dominates every gym ever. :tongue:
Reply 444
any firmed for Japanese?
Reply 445
Sent my results this Tuesday, When can I expect them to turn my conditional offer to unconditional?
Reply 446
Firmed for business and geography, anyone else?
Reply 447
Original post by Legii
any firmed for Japanese?

I've firmed (unconditional) for Japanese and Linguistics joint honours. I really can't wait to start the course to be honest.

Are you waiting on results or is your offer unconditional?
Reply 448
Original post by xDreamerx
I've firmed (unconditional) for Japanese and Linguistics joint honours. I really can't wait to start the course to be honest.

Are you waiting on results or is your offer unconditional?

My sis got an unconditional offer from Edinburgh for Japanese :smile:
Reply 449
Original post by Legii
My sis got an unconditional offer from Edinburgh for Japanese :smile:

Oh cool.:smile: Has she done any Japanese already or is she starting from scratch? For me it's starting from scratch which I am kind of excited about: it's been a while since I was new to a language.
So have you applied for uni this year too?
Anyone else for Maths?

Still not sure what to take to make up the other credits of the degree.
Reply 451
Oh cool.:smile: Has she done any Japanese already or is she starting from scratch? For me it's starting from scratch which I am kind of excited about: it's been a while since I was new to a language.
So have you applied for uni this year too?

Anime and Manga are her main motivations to do japanese lol She has some knowledge in listening but not really in other aspects :smile:
I applied for Biology/Biological Sciences, Edinburgh gave me a conditional offer with B in Higher Chem but I refused them... Thought it might be safer to get an Unconditional offer for my insurance :smile:

What made you pick Japanese?
Reply 452
Original post by Legii
Anime and Manga are her main motivations to do japanese lol She has some knowledge in listening but not really in other aspects :smile:
I applied for Biology/Biological Sciences, Edinburgh gave me a conditional offer with B in Higher Chem but I refused them... Thought it might be safer to get an Unconditional offer for my insurance :smile:

What made you pick Japanese?

I think for me I was originally drawn to it purely because it seems so different from English and that intrigued me. There used to be a Japanese teacher at my high school and so in fourth year I was hoping to take the course, but he quit :frown: , and I just sort of forgot about Japanese for a year. I just focused on my school subjects and decided to think about uni later. When it came round to applying in sixth year I actually had a look at the course and started watching some japanese vloggers on youtube and got quite interested in Japan in general which made the decision to apply for Japanese quite clear for me - even if it was quite torturous only applying for one university.

As for anime and manga however, it's the one part of Japan's culture that I'm yet to take an interest in to be honest.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 453
I think for me I was originally drawn to it purely because it seems so different from English and that intrigued me. There used to be a Japanese teacher at my high school and so in fourth year I was hoping to take the course, but he quit :frown: , and I just sort of forgot about Japanese for a year. I just focused on my school subjects and decided to think about uni later. When it came round to applying in sixth year I actually had a look at the course and started watching some japanese vloggers on youtube and got quite interested in Japan in general which made the decision to apply for Japanese quite clear for me - even if it was quite torturous only applying for one university.

As for anime and manga however, it's the one part of Japan's culture that I'm yet to take an interest in to be honest.

so... you didn't apply to any other unis? Is it Japanese language you'll be doing or linguistics?
Reply 454
Original post by Legii
so... you didn't apply to any other unis? Is it Japanese language you'll be doing or linguistics?

No, I only applied to Edinburgh for single honours Japanese (which I didn't get) and joint honours with Linguistics (what I got my offer for). I only applied for Edinburgh because it is the only university in Scotland which has a Japanese course and since I'm Scottish I didn't want to go elsewhere and have to pay the fees.

Well both, it's joint honours of Japanese and Linguistics. I do the same work as people who are doing either of them as single honours but I don't choose any outside subjects. 40 credits of Japanese language study, 40 credits of history/culture (East Asian Civilisation) and 40 credits of Linguistics and English Language. At the post offer day I was told that I would be able to switch to single honours Japanese later (in second year for instance) if I wanted to without any problems, which I might do - -I'll see how I like linguistics first though.
Reply 455
No, I only applied to Edinburgh for single honours Japanese (which I didn't get) and joint honours with Linguistics (what I got my offer for). I only applied for Edinburgh because it is the only university in Scotland which has a Japanese course and since I'm Scottish I didn't want to go elsewhere and have to pay the fees.

Well both, it's joint honours of Japanese and Linguistics. I do the same work as people who are doing either of them as single honours but I don't choose any outside subjects. 40 credits of Japanese language study, 40 credits of history/culture (East Asian Civilisation) and 40 credits of Linguistics and English Language. At the post offer day I was told that I would be able to switch to single honours Japanese later (in second year for instance) if I wanted to without any problems, which I might do - -I'll see how I like linguistics first though.

did you get a conditional offer?
Reply 456
Original post by Legii
did you get a conditional offer?

It's unconditional, I mentioned earlier didn't I? :smile: Glad it is though since I wouldn't have had a backup if I missed the grades!

So what universities are your firm and insurance then? You mentioned you were going with an unconditional insurance to be safe but how are you feeling about your firm? What are the conditions if you don't mind me asking. :smile:
Reply 457
It's unconditional, I mentioned earlier didn't I? :smile: Glad it is though since I wouldn't have had a backup if I missed the grades!

So what universities are your firm and insurance then? You mentioned you were going with an unconditional insurance to be safe but how are you feeling about your firm? What are the conditions if you don't mind me asking. :smile:

I don't mind :smile: It's Biological Sciences at Oxford Uni with the following conditions:
A in AH Maths
A in AH Bio
A in H Chem
B in H Phy
Got unconditional from St Andrews for Biology as back up :smile:
I guess I'll know whether I made it or not in about 3 weeks' time.
Reply 458
Anyone doing economic and social history?
Reply 459
Firmed Biological Sciences

Latest

Trending

Trending