The Student Room Group

Can I use a short Birth Certificate to get a provisional licence?

I've been filling in my provisional driving licence form today, and although my parents told me in the past that I have a few copies of my birth certificate, when I went to find them I could only find one, and a short copy. The gov website and all the information stuff doesn't mention whether a short birth certificate will do as well as a full one, so does anybody know if it's just as valid? I don't want to send the certificate itself off because I don't trust the post, but I'd be happy to send the short one if that would do.

(Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I figured I'd try :s-smilie:)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Blatant bump. Can anyone help?
Original post by Cluck
I've been filling in my provisional driving licence form today, and although my parents told me in the past that I have a few copies of my birth certificate, when I went to find them I could only find one, and a short copy. The gov website and all the information stuff doesn't mention whether a short birth certificate will do as well as a full one, so does anybody know if it's just as valid? I don't want to send the certificate itself off because I don't trust the post, but I'd be happy to send the short one if that would do.

(Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I figured I'd try :s-smilie:)

Do you have a valid passport as you can use your passport number to prove your identity?
Reply 3
Original post by Sophi12
Do you have a valid passport as you can use your passport number to prove your identity?

They require you to send the passport itself but I can't do that because I have a series of holidays coming up :s-smilie:
Original post by Cluck
They require you to send the passport itself but I can't do that because I have a series of holidays coming up :s-smilie:

Are you sure they want it sent to them because i just used my passport number and didn't send my passport off?
Reply 5
Original post by Sophi12
Are you sure they want it sent to them because i just used my passport number and didn't send my passport off?

I thought you had to send something as well as the passport number? Section A is passport number if you have it, section B is further proof, I thought I had to send my birth certificate as well as passport number? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by Cluck
I thought you had to send something as well as the passport number? Section A is passport number if you have it, section B is further proof, I thought I had to send my birth certificate as well as passport number? :s-smilie:

All I had to do a few years ago is just put down my passport number. No further proof of identity was needed. I don't think it's changed from then...
I don't recall sending anyone anything by post when I applied in December 2011
Reply 8

Original post by d4nny

Thanks for replying!
How about a photo? If I don't send one, where do they get it from? :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Cluck
Thanks for replying!

You will need to send one. A small photo you get from those photo booths will be okay.
Reply 10
Original post by Cluck
Thanks for replying!

An electronic copy from your passport if i remember correctly
Original post by Cluck
Thanks for replying!

They can access the passport database and use your passport picture from there if you let them.
Reply 12
Sorted now, thanks everybody! :smile:
Reply 13
Hi, sorry to hijack your thread but i need some sort of ID however i was not born in England. I was born in Ireland and have an irish birth cert and passport. Will i still be able to apply for a UK Provisional? I am 16 and still don't have my NI and my birthday was in May
Reply 14
Original post by Cluck
Sorted now, thanks everybody! :smile:

I applied for mine via post so used my birth certificate as my passport was lost.
Reply 15
Original post by chikane
I applied for mine via post so used my birth certificate as my passport was lost.

Did you send off a short one or a long one? (long one is A4)
The short birth certificate is as good as the long one. All babies are issued with a short one, you can choose whether to pay for a long one, it is optional.
Can you use the smaller birth certificate because my passport isn't valid and I don't have a full one and I was born a fair way from where I live now to go and get one?
I don't have a passport and I need to get my provisional will my birth certificate be okay for proof and a photo?
Original post by Lauraleigh
I don't have a passport and I need to get my provisional will my birth certificate be okay for proof and a photo?

https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending