The Student Room Group

A stock assistant at Aldi?

I saw an advert at my local Aldi, looking for a stock assistant, 6.90 an hour and 20 hours a week. Has anyone ever been a stock assistant, is it just stacking and cleaning?

The main problem is I'm 16 and I know they only hire 18 and over for sales assistants, due to the alcohol handling. Do you think they'd hire me, since I'm not doing any of the sales part.

Also, I'm starting sixth form in September, so I may not be able to work 20 hours a week. Do you think they would mind if I negotiated with them, like work more hours during the holidays and offer to be very flexible with hours outside of school?

Thanks for any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
But wouldn't handling stock as a stock assistant also include handling the alcohol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Haha.. I mean as in selling alcohol, which is obviously illegal. Even then, I could stock the other aisles.

Any other thoughts on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I applied the other day for my local aldi's and for the same position :biggrin:

I've heard they work you like a B*tch but basically it's the money that's going to keep me going. I was worried since I'm seventeen that I would not be allowed, 20 hours is a lot for sixth form considering your grades are decided this year, I'm going to uni so I'll be a little bit more flexible. Once you are in, if you explain to the manager that you have school work etc then I would believe they would understand.

Tell me how it goes :tongue:

P.s I know a boy who was the youngest in our year who stocks up in asda
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Direct15

I've heard they work you like a B*tch but basically it's the money that's going to keep me going. I was worried since I'm seventeen that I would not be allowed, 20 hours is a lot for sixth form considering your grades are decided this year, I'm going to uni so I'll be a little bit more flexible. Once you are in, if you explain to the manager that you have school work etc then I would believe they would understand.

Did you get the job?
Original post by Pokrok
Haha.. I mean as in selling alcohol, which is obviously illegal. Even then, I could stock the other aisles.

Any other thoughts on this?

AFAIK, there's nothing wrong with under 18s stocking prohibited items.
Reply 6
Apply for it but in this current market there is no guarantee you'll get it anyway so save the ifs and buts for when you are offered it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Juichiro
Did you get the job?

No idea yet,applied yesterday and it says it takes up to fourteen days because of the background checks, educational checks etc :frown:
Reply 8
No idea yet,applied yesterday and it says it takes up to fourteen days because of the background checks, educational checks etc :frown:

Educational checks? For moving stuff around? How sad and arrogant Aldi employers much be.
Reply 9

Thank you! This is the info I have been waiting to know!

I've heard the same too, but I'd rather have a very active job than a really boring one. The money looks great, considering other jobs and the experience will help. I think you are right, once I'm in and working, I can always work overtime during holidays, as 20 hours is not easy. I think a 15 hour week could be doable however, and the Aldi website says they make a flexible contract of 15-30 hours.

I'm handing in my CV/letter to my local store tomorrow, since I haven't got my NI number, so I have to do it the traditional way until it comes.

Wish me luck! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Pawsies
Apply for it but in this current market there is no guarantee you'll get it anyway so save the ifs and buts for when you are offered it :smile:

Definitely. I'm just gonna try my hardest to at least get an interview first.

I know that Aldi makes you work to death, so if they question my age, I'll say it means I have a lot more energy and determination than most adults.
Reply 11
Original post by Juichiro
Educational checks? For moving stuff around? How sad and arrogant Aldi employers much be.

My mum was like what when I told her about the checks :tongue:

I'm just hoping to save up to study my masters abroad after my bachelors so I'll move stuff around for hours if they want :colondollar:
Reply 12
I handed my CV today and there was no question about my age (and to be honest I look 14/15, rather than 16/17). So I'm assuming it was no issue.

And I sneakily gave it to the manager, not the cashiers (the advert said to hand it them), so I'm happy and he said he will get back to me... which means I know he got and he cannot ignore me (even if I don't get an interview!)

Now, I'm just waiting anxiously. Any guesses when they will get back to me? I'm going to say 10-15 days.
Reply 13
Original post by Pokrok
I handed my CV today and there was no question about my age (and to be honest I look 14/15, rather than 16/17). So I'm assuming it was no issue.

And I sneakily gave it to the manager, not the cashiers (the advert said to hand it them), so I'm happy and he said he will get back to me... which means I know he got and he cannot ignore me (even if I don't get an interview!)

Now, I'm just waiting anxiously. Any guesses when they will get back to me? I'm going to say 10-15 days.

I applied on-line and it says within 14 days or you are unsuccessful
Original post by Pokrok
I saw an advert at my local Aldi, looking for a stock assistant, 6.90 an hour and 20 hours a week. Has anyone ever been a stock assistant, is it just stacking and cleaning?

The main problem is I'm 16 and I know they only hire 18 and over for sales assistants, due to the alcohol handling. Do you think they'd hire me, since I'm not doing any of the sales part.

Also, I'm starting sixth form in September, so I may not be able to work 20 hours a week. Do you think they would mind if I negotiated with them, like work more hours during the holidays and offer to be very flexible with hours outside of school?

Thanks for any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stocking isles should be fine at 16. You could still work on tills really- as in most shops (im assuming aldi is the same), under 18's can serve alcohol as long as they get a colleage (over 18) to watch them do it. Ive seen it happen all the time.
I heard that they are pretty good to work for, so you should be ok. And if you explain to them, they should understand. And 20 hours a week might not be that bad, as i worked 20 hours a week during 6th form.
Reply 15
I applied on-line and it says within 14 days or you are unsuccessful

It's only been 4 days (including the weekend) and I've just been given an interview. :eek:
I did hand my CV with letter to the store manager directly though, so I think he knew he had to be quick, and he saw me in store today as well.

I didn't realise they were hiring more than one stock assistants (note the plural!), so that makes things less competitive overall. :smile:

Good luck with your application!
Reply 16
Original post by Emma:-)
Stocking isles should be fine at 16. You could still work on tills really- as in most shops (im assuming aldi is the same), under 18's can serve alcohol as long as they get a colleage (over 18) to watch them do it. Ive seen it happen all the time.
I heard that they are pretty good to work for, so you should be ok. And if you explain to them, they should understand. And 20 hours a week might not be that bad, as i worked 20 hours a week during 6th form.

Thank you! I think Aldi has separate jobs though for stock and store assistants, but you are right as I have seen under 18s at the tills anyway.

And thanks for the support over the hours, I didn't think 20 hours would be that bad, as I can fill them up during the weekends or a day after school. But, my sixth form is moaning saying 15 hours or less, that's their problem though. :wink:
Original post by Pokrok
Thank you! I think Aldi has separate jobs though for stock and store assistants, but you are right as I have seen under 18s at the tills anyway.

And thanks for the support over the hours, I didn't think 20 hours would be that bad, as I can fill them up during the weekends or a day after school. But, my sixth form is moaning saying 15 hours or less, that's their problem though. :wink:

My 6th form recommended less than 16 hours a week as well. No one really listened to it, and i wasnt the only one who did more than that. As long as you keep up with your school work you will be fine. They cant really force you though, as you arent in compulsory education any more or anything. And theres no law against it.
Reply 18
Original post by Pokrok
It's only been 4 days (including the weekend) and I've just been given an interview. :eek:
I did hand my CV with letter to the store manager directly though, so I think he knew he had to be quick, and he saw me in store today as well.

I didn't realise they were hiring more than one stock assistants (note the plural!), so that makes things less competitive overall. :smile:

Good luck with your application!

Congrats :biggrin: I don't even know who the manager is in my local :colondollar:
Has anyone been given a phone interview ?

Quick Reply