The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

La noche pasada, no podría dormir :frown: lo fue horrible :redface:
Reply 4041
Original post by Ronove
Russer is more correct as you say. I don't think anyone would find it weird if you said russisk though.

I'm from a town in the North West of England. :wink:

Men jeg bor i en lille by i Køge Bugt, i Region Hovedstaden.

So you're not actually Danish?! :shock:Your Danish is amazing if you aren't! Jeg elsker Hovedstaden. Or maybe I should really say Jeg elsker København :love:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Ach nein! (And to say 'last night', you would say 'anoche' rather than 'la noche pasada') :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tess_rach
Ach nein! (And to say 'last night', you would say 'anoche' rather than 'la niche pasada') :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I don't know the little words yet:tongue:
Thanks! I don't know the little words yet:tongue:

That's ok :smile: You'll pick it up in no time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's ok :smile: You'll pick it up in no time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

J'espère que quoi tu aies dit est vrai :tongue:

Ooh, I don't think I've done that tense yet! Is it the illusive subjunctive that I keep hearing about from everyone? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh, I don't think I've done that tense yet! Is it the illusive subjunctive that I keep hearing about from everyone? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, yes it is :P it means I hope that what you've said is true!
Reply 4048
Original post by Lidia11
So you're not actually Danish?! :shock:Your Danish is amazing if you aren't! Jeg elsker Hovedstaden. Or maybe I should really say Jeg elsker København :love:

Tak skal du have. :tongue: Jeg har været her siden september, men jeg kom herover rigtig mange gange i året inden (for at besøge min kæreste, selvfølgelig :tongue:).

Podría is conditional. You want no pude or no podía. I think I'd go for pude.
Reply 4049
Original post by Ronove
Tak skal du have. :tongue: Jeg har været her siden september, men jeg kom herover rigtig mange gange i året inden (for at besøge min kæreste, selvfølgelig :tongue:).

So shocked you've only been living there since September, your Danish is PERFECTION!! I'm so jel :tongue: Do you study in Denmark? And do you have any ideas on how I can improve mine? I understand so much but my grammar is horrific :frown:
Original post by Ronove

Podría is conditional. You want no pude or no podía. I think I'd go for pude.

In French pouvoir in the conditional means could... So I thought I'd use that... But then I realise it's past as well so was gonna write "no había podido (de) dormir..." pero no lo utilicé... :redface:

I think you mean " j'espère que ce que tu as dit est vrai " or " j'espère que ce que tu dis est vrai ". You can also use a simpler form, which is the one French people usually go for : " j'espère que tu as raison ". :smile:
Original post by Bambirina
I think you mean " j'espère que ce que tu as dit est vrai " or " j'espère que ce que tu dis est vrai ". You can also use a simpler form, which is the one French people usually go for : " j'espère que tu as raison ". :smile:

Aah, okay! The last one is simplest :tongue:
Reply 4053

Lo lamento. Espero que estés mejor ahora. Sólo quisiera corregirte una cosita: aquí lo es innecesario. Supongo que has traducido it was horrible literalmente, pero recuerda que lo solamente se usa como objeto, nunca se usa como subjeto. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4054
Original post by Lidia11
So shocked you've only been living there since September, your Danish is PERFECTION!! I'm so jel :tongue: Do you study in Denmark? And do you have any ideas on how I can improve mine? I understand so much but my grammar is horrific :frown:

Thanks! :colondollar: I don't study yet, I'm working in a fast food place (I would say which but I've said it too much on here already and there's only one outlet in central Copenhagen so it's making me a bit too stalkable. :tongue: I want to start studying Medicine next year (ie 2014).

I initially bought this guy's course (he can send you a CD-Rom with it on but it might also be possible to download, I can't remember as I only had mobile internet when I bought it): http://www.speakdanish.dk/ The first few bits are free to access so you can have a look. I don't know whether it would be too basic for you, though. I can't really remember how I got the grammar down specifically. I have this rather heavy book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Danish-Comprehensive-Grammar-Grammars/dp/0415491932/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374171097&sr=8-2&keywords=danish+grammar which is good but it doesn't get used all that often. Otherwise I just listen to P1 a lot and watch TV/films and read Politiken online (or did in the lead-up to my Danish exams at least).

There should also be some links to some websites about Danish grammar and basic vocab and stuff somewhere, maybe via Statsforvaltningen. I thought it was somewhere on the nyidanmark site but I just looked and can't find them.

In French pouvoir in the conditional means could... So I thought I'd use that... But then I realise it's past as well so was gonna write "no había podido (de) dormir..." pero no lo utilicé... :redface:

That would have been very wrong - it would have meant 'I hadn't been able to sleep'. When hadn't you been able to sleep? 'I hadn't been able to sleep last night' makes no sense. :tongue:

Edit: PS WHAT IS THAT 'DE' DOING THERE? BAD FISH!

Edit 2: Just refreshed my memory of pouvoir. You used the equivalent of pourrais, when you're talking about pouvais.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thatitootoo
:lol: Danish makes me happy :wink:
It makes me sad. Every time I see written Danish, I remember the Danish members on my favourite server on a particular MMORPG. And then I remember how the game got shut down by the ultimate owners.

And then I think about all my characters that got deleted.
Reply 4056
Original post by Octopus_Garden
It makes me sad. Every time I see written Danish, I remember the Danish members on my favourite server on a particular MMORPG. And then I remember how the game got shut down by the ultimate owners.

And then I think about all my characters that got deleted.

Wait... have you mentioned this MMORPG before? There certainly are a hell of a lot of Danes to be found in MMORPGs generally... :wink:
Original post by AquisM
Lo lamento. Espero que estés mejor ahora. Sólo quisiera corregirte una cosita: aquí lo es innecesario. Supongo que has traducido it was horrible literalmente, pero recuerda que lo solamente se usa como objeto, nunca se usa como subjeto. :smile:

Hmmm... Okay! I think I get you
Original post by Ronove
That would have been very wrong - it would have meant 'I hadn't been able to sleep'. When hadn't you been able to sleep? 'I hadn't been able to sleep last night' makes no sense. :tongue:

Edit: PS WHAT IS THAT 'DE' DOING THERE? BAD FISH!

It makes sense, just doesn't sound right :tongue:

:dontknow: there's always a random de or a :colone:
Original post by constantmeowage
I believe that ones been rectified :tongue: besides, it was still on beta when it first opened to the public :tongue:

Spreek Nederlands met mij
Ik voel me hier zo eenzaam en alleen :[[[
Reply 4059
Hmmm... Okay! I think I get you

Okay, just in case you don't, I'll write a short summary in English (not that I'm doubting your language skills :P). Basically, lo is only used as an object. If I were to say I took your ring, your ring is the object and I can replace it with lo, just as I could say I took it in English. What is different about the two languages is that English doesn't differentiate between subjective and objective it in writing but Spanish does (Lo maté - I killed it, but It was a nightmare - Fue una pesadilla), but since the it is already implied in the conjugation of the verb, it is normally dropped.

:dontknow: there's always a random de or a :colone:

LOL I can't rep you because I'm maxed out but nice one! :biggrin: I totally agree!

Latest

Trending

Trending