The Student Room Group

Paid child fare on train, getting done for fare evasion?

I was on the train the other day and I'll be honest I always prefer to pay the inspectors on the train, just incase they... don't come. So anyway the inspector came and said it was £10 for both of us, so we just said "wow thats a bit steep" or something to that effect (still with the intent of paying) and he offered us the child fare which is half that when he himself knew we wasnt 14 (we are both 18 and students)

Anyway we get to the barriers on the other end put our tickets in and they don't open, and we ask the guy why and he says because we are using child tickets and apparently the age is 14, we told him what had happened on the train with the inspector and he says it was our responsibility not his, however a much nicer chap gave us a form to fill out to say what has happened and said something would come in the post to fill out, but im not exactly sure what he meant by this as none of them were english.

Basically is this going to end up bad? apparently I can get a criminal record from this and a pretty big fine/ court costs, im starting to think maybe I should have just payed the £20.

Some advice or even just comfort on not getting a criminal record haha.. :L

Scroll to see replies

Original post by travispickle
I was on the train the other day and I'll be honest I always prefer to pay the inspectors on the train, just incase they... don't come. So anyway the inspector came and said it was £10 for both of us, so we just said "wow thats a bit steep" or something to that effect (still with the intent of paying) and he offered us the child fare which is half that when he himself knew we wasnt 14 (we are both 18 and students)

Anyway we get to the barriers on the other end put our tickets in and they don't open, and we ask the guy why and he says because we are using child tickets and apparently the age is 14, we told him what had happened on the train with the inspector and he says it was our responsibility not his, however a much nicer chap gave us a form to fill out to say what has happened and said something would come in the post to fill out, but im not exactly sure what he meant by this as none of them were english.

Basically is this going to end up bad? apparently I can get a criminal record from this and a pretty big fine/ court costs, im starting to think maybe I should have just payed the £20.

Some advice or even just comfort on not getting a criminal record haha.. :L

Criminal record? I doubt it. I think someone's just trying to 'scare' you in a way (and believe me, I've been threatened with prison before so I know how you feel).

One of my flatmates was travelling from Manchester to Buckinghamshire (a 4 hour train journey, I believe). He didn't even have a ticket, but was only fined £100 (maybe £125 I cannot remember).

I think you're thinking to deeply. Although I'm no expert, you'll probably just get a fine.
Reply 2
Sorry to bring the thread back up but they finally replied (a company called transport investigations Ltd), in letter basically stating that they had "sufficient evidence to warrant prosecution", for a journey in which I showed no valid ticket.

They're basically asking for a statement with a handwritten signature which gives me the opportunity for any "mitigation" I wish to be considered, and it also says that their prosecutions team are considering whether to include me in a list of summons at the magistrates court.

Basically its asking for a statement but not really telling me what to include, so far I came up with:

"Regarding the incident on the 17/07/13 I would just like to reiterate that the ticket inspector on board the train sold us the tickets without us being fully informed and offered firstly to sell us the child ticket, I was not aware of the age boundary especially as a full-time student which entitles me with certain transport options to travel under child fare, so I did not hesitate to accept which in hindsight may have been premature of me."

I was then going to say how I didn't believe this justified me being treated like a criminal at the gate (I was) and that I would be willing to pay the £20 penalty fare to avoid court?

Does anyone just have any advice on what to include or any other options?

Thanks a bunch!
None of the forms were in English? State this also.
Reply 4
What is it with people and entitlement? The fare was £10 so either pay it or don't be surprised when you end up paying more. Or find another way to travel if you can't afford it.......
Sorry to bring the thread back up but they finally replied (a company called transport investigations Ltd), in letter basically stating that they had "sufficient evidence to warrant prosecution", for a journey in which I showed no valid ticket.

They're basically asking for a statement with a handwritten signature which gives me the opportunity for any "mitigation" I wish to be considered, and it also says that their prosecutions team are considering whether to include me in a list of summons at the magistrates court.

Basically its asking for a statement but not really telling me what to include, so far I came up with:

"Regarding the incident on the 17/07/13 I would just like to reiterate that the ticket inspector on board the train sold us the tickets without us being fully informed and offered firstly to sell us the child ticket, I was not aware of the age boundary especially as a full-time student which entitles me with certain transport options to travel under child fare, so I did not hesitate to accept which in hindsight may have been premature of me."

I was then going to say how I didn't believe this justified me being treated like a criminal at the gate (I was) and that I would be willing to pay the £20 penalty fare to avoid court?

Does anyone just have any advice on what to include or any other options?

Thanks a bunch!

Were you aware of the age boundary?

If it comes to court, or you are asked to be a witness at court proceedings against the ticket inspector for misconduct, you will have to tell a very convincing lie under cross-examination, and if you are lying and they find out you could face charges on attempting to pervert the course of justice. It's very unlikely, but it's a risk, so personally I would be honest. If you were not aware of the age boundary, what you've said sounds fine (though I'm not a legal professional).

Before replying, I would also look for chat rooms dealing directly with train ticket fines (I know there are ones for parking fines), or seek other advice. It's not impossible they are trying to scare you into incriminating yourself.

This was your responsibility, not the ticket inspector's (unless you asked him the age limit and he lied, or you were genuinely not aware of it, though this won't hold much weight if you are 18), but it may help your case that he was unprofessional.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
No the forms were English, the employees weren't, and yes ed I'm not surprised at what happened, Its just that obviously the train company wants to take this to the extreme (even to a criminal record in circumstances) when in reality its kinda petty, when now knowing the extent it could go to I'd much rather get it out of the way and learn my lesson, but my apologies for not being the most outstanding citizen.

And in all honesty I could have for a second believed that child fare on rail would work the same as bus travel here, if you have a student card showing you are in full time ed and between 16 and 19, you are entitled to child fare on the bus.

I'm just kind of relying on the fact that being 18, and the fact that I made some form of effort to get a ticket, would mean they won't be able to pursue it very far? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Ignorance is no defence. You could have asked if you were entitled to a child ticket due to your age and I'm sure they would tell you.
Personally I would have lied about name and address on the form and avoided trains for a while aha I rarely travel anyway though lol

I doubt that you will get a criminal record but a fine does look very likely.
Reply 9
Did you never think to say 'oh we and the instructor must of made a mistake' I can see him loosing his job over giving out children tickets to adults :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm... I thought the age for child tickets was 16, not fourteen.
Reply 11
No the forms were English, the employees weren't, and yes ed I'm not surprised at what happened, Its just that obviously the train company wants to take this to the extreme (even to a criminal record in circumstances) when in reality its kinda petty, when now knowing the extent it could go to I'd much rather get it out of the way and learn my lesson, but my apologies for not being the most outstanding citizen.

And in all honesty I could have for a second believed that child fare on rail would work the same as bus travel here, if you have a student card showing you are in full time ed and between 16 and 19, you are entitled to child fare on the bus.

I'm just kind of relying on the fact that being 18, and the fact that I made some form of effort to get a ticket, would mean they won't be able to pursue it very far? :s-smilie:

Ditto here. Mention that in the letter.
Reply 12
Dear (Transport Investigations Ltd),

Regarding the incident on the 17/07/13 I would just like to reiterate that the ticket inspector on board the train sold us the tickets without us being fully informed and offered to sell us the child ticket after we asked what the price of a full adult ticket was (we commented on how “steep” the fare was, upon which he told us we would “probably pass” (as children) or words to that effect), I was not aware of the age boundary in place especially considering I’m a full-time student which entitles me with certain transport options to travel under child fare (for example on bus), so I did not hesitate to accept which in hindsight might have been premature of me. The point still stands however that there was confusion when purchasing the ticket which is why I wanted to argue against the penalty fare at the time.

I believe this is only a minor breach of the rules in place and did not warrant us being treated like criminals within the train station, I think it’s clear that we had no intention of attempting to deliberately avoid the train fare, however to avoid the hassle of court procedures I would be willing to settle by paying the penalty fare fine for the journey.

Yours sincerely,

Me

Would this be an acceptable to send back? or is it too "in your face I'm right"? any feedback then I'll promise to let the threat die aha :blushing:

Thankss
Reply 13
A fine would be reasonable, a criminal record would be an overreaction.
Its not all your responsibility the inspector is qualified and has trained for his job he should know that this is wrong and he should know something as simple as this. Find out how many timee he has done this before
****ing moron.

Considering Young Person's Railcards are advertised in every single station that's an awful excuse and they're not going to fall for it. They're not going to take you to court over such a small amount as it isn't worth the effort, any claims to the contrary are just scare tactics.
WTF, that's completely disgraceful of the company, especially since the guy specifically asked if you wanted a child's ticket.
Reply 18
Btw, they van take you to court, the took my friend to court for having her feet in the seats! They gave her a fine and she git away with no criminal record instead she had to go to the head of the train company to formally apologise! Say how it will effect your career it was a genuine mistake as you were offered a chokes tickets and you assumed obviously wrongly and you won't make this mistake again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bloody idiot. Suck it up and pay whatever fine you're handed and be grateful. You should have known you couldn't possibly have a child fare - you are not a child. That's fairly elementary.

Latest