The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Roger1
After I wake up, the first thing I do is go to the bathroom and brush my teeth. I'm surprised how people can do anything else with that horrible smell coming from their mouth. It's so repulsive.

Not everyone gets morning breath thank you :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 101
I am surprised that nobody has said they don't brush their teeth in the morning.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 102
After, you don't want to get your teeth dirty after spending 3 whole minutes brushing and gargling lol :biggrin:
Reply 103
LOL got negged because I brush more than twice.
Reply 104
Original post by HashimKF
Leaving it overnight is longer than between meals. For me it's just good hygiene practice. I chew gum a couple times a day to keep clean between brushes.

Each to their own I suppose.

You do realise it's not time going by without brushing that damages your teeth, but time with food left on them? If you didn't eat anything since brushing your teeth before bed, you have zero reason to worry about your teeth until you've next eaten something.
Reply 105
Original post by HashimKF
Preferable to Bacterios :rolleyes:

Speculation. Most bacteria will be destroyed in your gut. Is there any evidence that the swallowed bacteria is actually likely to do anything?

Plus you're constantly making and swallowing spit.
Reply 106
Original post by tooosh
Speculation. Most bacteria will be destroyed in your gut. Is there any evidence that the swallowed bacteria is actually likely to do anything?

Plus you're constantly making and swallowing spit.

It's cracking me up how many people think they're going to get ill from bacteria that is already in their mouth. If anything it'd be better to swallow it and let it die in your stomach acid.
After.
After...I was always under the impression that this would surely make more sense, logically..
After. Can't understand why people brush them before.
Original post by Secretnerd123
Im before and i was suprised to find that many of my friends do it after breakfast. Why would you want to have breakfast with all that bacteria still in your mouth?
Thats just my opinion though! If you do it after please dont be offended

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've not read through the whole thread, but do you brush your teeth during the day as well? Goodness, imagine how stinky and bacteria ridden your mouth must be in the evening having ingested two meals and having not been brushed for at least 12 hours! :rolleyes:

EDIT: OK I sound waaaay too sincere in this post. Rolleyes smiley added to convey sarcasm.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 111
Original post by Schleigg
I've not read through the whole thread, but do you brush your teeth during the day as well? Imagine how stinky and bacteria ridden your mouth must be in the evening having ingested two meals and having not been brushed for at least 12 hours!

Well, none of us have died yet from mouth bacteria so stop being paranoid.
Reply 112
Original post by Ronove
It's cracking me up how many people think they're going to get ill from bacteria that is already in their mouth. If anything it'd be better to swallow it and let it die in your stomach acid.

I don't think they realise that bacteria colonies live everywhere on the human body.
Reply 113
Always after breakfast. I'm surprised by the number on here that brush before breakfast.
Reply 114
Why are so many people over concerned about bacteria in their mouth. There is a dei m difference between hygiene and paranoia - how long have humans survived whilst having bacteria in their mouth? Stop being softies.
Original post by miser
I read on the NHS website that brushing before eating is preferable, as having food in your mouth (especially acids, such as in sugars and fruit juice) can soften your teeth's enamel, causing you to reduce the enamel while brushing.

This is what my dentist told me. Especially after eating fruit or sugar, best to not brush them but drink some water instead, or mouthwash with water. Eat a mint if worried about breath.

Trouble with manically brushing your teeth all the time just because of some imaginary "hygeine" reason or because of some neurosis is that under some circumstances, you could actually be damaging your teeth rather than helping them. The key is to learn when and when not to brush.
Before...I'm used to it now.
Probably just cos it's effort to keep climbing up and down stairs :biggrin:
Original post by Hyde
Why are so many people over concerned about bacteria in their mouth. There is a dei m difference between hygiene and paranoia - how long have humans survived whilst having bacteria in their mouth? Stop being softies.

Correct.

I think the American tooth mentaility has something to do with it, it's found it's way across to us in the last few years. Everyone seems obsessed with having fake looking "flawless" bright white teeth that look like a piano keyboard, and thinking that because they "look" or feel clean that they actually are.. Natural tooth colour is quite far off white as it goes.

Too much emphasis put on bleaching to look fake rather than, for example, bottle brushing/flossing which is the main way you can protect your breath (scrub them all you want but if you don't clean between them you might as well not bother).
Original post by Hyde
Well, none of us have died yet from mouth bacteria so stop being paranoid.

Maybe that reply didn't come across as sarcastically as it was intended! :colondollar:
Original post by Schleigg
I've not read through the whole thread, but do you brush your teeth during the day as well? Imagine how stinky and bacteria ridden your mouth must be in the evening having ingested two meals and having not been brushed for at least 12 hours!

...well, yes, that's why we brush our teeth before we go to bed. What is your point?

Latest