The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Parking parking parking!!! De Hav

Okay so I've just confirmed my place at de hav for september - i know they said you can't bring your car and whatever but does anyone know any spots where i could park?

Past students pretty please! haha

I have been looking at alternatives such as renting garages etc but if anyone has any ideas please do share

Thank you!
Reply 1
Can you not park on the other campus? They're literally 10 minutes apart..
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by anilc
Okay so I've just confirmed my place at de hav for september - i know they said you can't bring your car and whatever but does anyone know any spots where i could park?

I have been looking at alternatives such as renting garages etc but if anyone has any ideas please do share

Thank you!

Hi there,

All the residential areas near de Hav require permits which are only available for residents.

You can get parking at college lane but again that requires a permit which you will be required to pay for before you start.

To be honest, being a car owner myself and staying on de Hav during my first year, the best option is to leave your car at home. Unless you are planning to make long distance trips every week it really isn't worth the time and effort because everything is walking distance or you can reach places via our University bus system.

take a look here for more info on car parking: http://www.herts.ac.uk/university-life/accommodation/frequently-asked-questions

thanks,
Ashley (University of Hertfordshire Official Representative)
Reply 3
Original post by anilc

Thank you!

Erm... Lots of people I know had friends in the houses behind De Hav and would just buy their permit off them for the year, but that was in second year when people knew each other already.

You can park at the Park & Ride for free, though it gets locked sometimes so your car would be stuck there :tongue: there are probably some sort of rules about leaving your car there all the time anyway.

You can park your car anywhere on Bishops Rise I think, but that's at least a 20 minute walk away from De Hav, depending on where you park. There's another housing estate right next to De Hav thinking about it, which isn't owned by the uni. You might be able to find somewhere to leave your car down there, and that's only a 5-10 minute walk away from the De Hav halls.
Reply 4
Original post by David.20
Can you not park on the other campus? They're literally 10 minutes apart..

Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi there,

All the residential areas near de Hav require permits which are only available for residents.

You can get parking at college lane but again that requires a permit which you will be required to pay for before you start.

To be honest, being a car owner myself and staying on de Hav during my first year, the best option is to leave your car at home. Unless you are planning to make long distance trips every week it really isn't worth the time and effort because everything is walking distance or you can reach places via our University bus system.

take a look here for more info on car parking: http://www.herts.ac.uk/university-life/accommodation/frequently-asked-questions

thanks,
Ashley (University of Hertfordshire Official Representative)

Original post by xDave-
Erm... Lots of people I know had friends in the houses behind De Hav and would just buy their permit off them for the year, but that was in second year when people knew each other already.

You can park at the Park & Ride for free, though it gets locked sometimes so your car would be stuck there :tongue: there are probably some sort of rules about leaving your car there all the time anyway.

You can park your car anywhere on Bishops Rise I think, but that's at least a 20 minute walk away from De Hav, depending on where you park. There's another housing estate right next to De Hav thinking about it, which isn't owned by the uni. You might be able to find somewhere to leave your car down there, and that's only a 5-10 minute walk away from the De Hav halls.

Thank you so much guys!
Will take a trip up next week and have a look at those areas you suggested Dave
As for parking in college lane, can I get a permit even though im at dehav?
its like 120 for a year or something isnt it?
I mean thats not too bad
Its just nice to have my car
I do travel often so its just a convenience thing

Bishops Rise - is that the one near co - op?
Reply 5
Original post by anilc
Thank you so much guys!
I mean thats not too bad

Hmm, just thinking about what I said about those side roads, obviously students will have thought of leaving their car there before... I looked it up and it's all double yellow lines :frown: You can still scout around there though, but I doubt there'll be anything. If you wanna look at it on Google Maps then the main road (which runs past De Hav) is called St. Albans Road, and loads of little roads come off it.

Yep, Bishops Rise has the co-op on it. It and its side roads all seem to be free of double yellows, but then you have a walk to and from your house.

I don't know much about the permits. I assume you're in halls, right? I think only people that live in the housing near De Hav (e.g. Dragon Road and the surrounding roads) get parking permits. I'd advise asking the uni about getting permits, though maybe someone on here might know.
Reply 6
Only people living in the residential areas around Dehav get permits. However there are often spare permits in houses so if you make friends with 2nd / 3rd years you might get lucky and they will let you use a permit.

Or park in the Galleria or ASDA (free parking), both of which are close (ish), but this would only really help you if you wanted the car for going home and would be no benefit if you just wanted it to drive to asda (pretty much the main trip that students make)
Reply 7
Original post by anilc
Thank you so much guys!
I mean thats not too bad

You can only get a parking permit for College Lane if you live in halls there, and even then there aren't a huge amount available. In first year in De Hav halls one of my flatmates would park near Asda, since there is no parking restrictions there, or on Bishops Rise, but yeah that means you have to walk a bit.
Reply 8
Original post by KJane
You can only get a parking permit for College Lane if you live in halls there, and even then there aren't a huge amount available. In first year in De Hav halls one of my flatmates would park near Asda, since there is no parking restrictions there, or on Bishops Rise, but yeah that means you have to walk a bit.

Isnt asda like a 3hour max or anything like that?

Original post by dean01234
Only people living in the residential areas around Dehav get permits. However there are often spare permits in houses so if you make friends with 2nd / 3rd years you might get lucky and they will let you use a permit.

Or park in the Galleria or ASDA (free parking), both of which are close (ish), but this would only really help you if you wanted the car for going home and would be no benefit if you just wanted it to drive to asda (pretty much the main trip that students make)

Going to try my best! sounds like a good option just need to find temporary parking until then lol
Home delivery is avalible for a reason hahaha - cant be dealing with walking all that way to asda for a weekly shop!

Original post by xDave-
Hmm, just thinking about what I said about those side roads, obviously students will have thought of leaving their car there before... I looked it up and it's all double yellow lines :frown: You can still scout around there though, but I doubt there'll be anything. If you wanna look at it on Google Maps then the main road (which runs past De Hav) is called St. Albans Road, and loads of little roads come off it.

Yep, Bishops Rise has the co-op on it. It and its side roads all seem to be free of double yellows, but then you have a walk to and from your house.

I don't know much about the permits. I assume you're in halls, right? I think only people that live in the housing near De Hav (e.g. Dragon Road and the surrounding roads) get parking permits. I'd advise asking the uni about getting permits, though maybe someone on here might know.

Yep im in halls (De hav) will look into this and give the uni a call tomorrow though :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by anilc
Isnt asda like a 3hour max or anything like that?

Probably! A lot of supermarkets have restrictions, Hatfield Asda having one wouldn't surprise me since it's directly next to the high street so they probably try to prevent people parking there too long. Your best bet for free nearby parking is the roads past the Galleria.
Reply 10
Okay so I cant get a parking permit at college lane, the council do not offer season tickets and their car parks are 9 - 5.
Looks like I will be taking a trip to hatfield later this week to scout out free parking on side roads! lol

(Will also be waiting for someone to confirm parking restrictions on Asda)

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending