The Student Room Group

A2 biology aqa

hey guys what would you say is the hardest part of the A2 biology syllabus for aqa??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krishio
hey guys what would you say is the hardest part of the A2 biology syllabus for aqa??

Unit 04 - Especially populations and environment :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by kk_15
Unit 04 - Especially populations and environment :frown:

gah...not looking forward to that..what about in the unit 03 bit? whats the hardest topic?
Original post by krishio
gah...not looking forward to that..what about in the unit 03 bit? whats the hardest topic?

Unit 03 is an ISA.
I personally have'nt had much success with them for no reason.
You just have to keep practicing and know what to write and what the examiners are looking for, it's pretty hit-and-miss unfortunately.
Reply 4
I found populations very easy. I'd say photosynthesis and respiration are the hardest parts.
Reply 5
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
I found populations very easy. I'd say photosynthesis and respiration are the hardest parts.

phew!! we started that first so i can go over that this summer :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by krishio
phew!! we started that first so i can go over that this summer :smile:

Yeah I am going over it all too. We did photosynthesis - it's quite difficult, as is respiration. Go over both.

Populations and food chains are fairly easily I'd say.
Reply 7
Yeah I am going over it all too. We did photosynthesis - it's quite difficult, as is respiration. Go over both.

Populations and food chains are fairly easily I'd say.

are you just starting A2?
Reply 8
Original post by krishio
are you just starting A2?

yeah but we started work a month ago so we've done the 1st 3 chapters already. I've also pre-read another 2 chapters.
Reply 9
yeah but we started work a month ago so we've done the 1st 3 chapters already. I've also pre-read another 2 chapters.

haha you sound like hermione :wink: wow you're well prepared!
Reply 10
Original post by krishio
haha you sound like hermione :wink: wow you're well prepared!

aw thanks! Yeah I like to be prepared in advance. Some of it is easy enough for me to teach myself.

how much of it have you studied so far?
Reply 11
aw thanks! Yeah I like to be prepared in advance. Some of it is easy enough for me to teach myself.

how much of it have you studied so far?

mainly just respiration and atp =/ ima look over more this summer though when i've got free time =D
Reply 12
Original post by krishio
mainly just respiration and atp =/ ima look over more this summer though when i've got free time =D

We didn't do respiration in class, but I looked over it. Seems difficult.

I've been doing some basic revision - about 30-60 minutes every other day. Not too intense or anything.
Reply 13
We didn't do respiration in class, but I looked over it. Seems difficult.

I've been doing some basic revision - about 30-60 minutes every other day. Not too intense or anything.

haha that is a lot considering we're on holiday...respiration is pretty hard but it's ok once you get your head round it =] do you do chemistry too? because that helps
Reply 14
Original post by krishio
haha that is a lot considering we're on holiday...respiration is pretty hard but it's ok once you get your head round it =] do you do chemistry too? because that helps

I did chemistry AS level, so yeah it does help, but I don't take chemistry to A2. Only AS is really relevant I find. I didn't think the A2 course would benefit me at all with regards to biology. But I may be wrong.

what other subjects do you do?
Reply 15
I did chemistry AS level, so yeah it does help, but I don't take chemistry to A2. Only AS is really relevant I find. I didn't think the A2 course would benefit me at all with regards to biology. But I may be wrong.

what other subjects do you do?

for AS i took biology, chemistry, psychology and music but i need to drop one for A2...it's going to have to be psychology or music but i don't know till i get my results =/ what about you?
Reply 16
Original post by krishio
for AS i took biology, chemistry, psychology and music but i need to drop one for A2...it's going to have to be psychology or music but i don't know till i get my results =/ what about you?

Ah well mine's very complex. I took bio, chem and physics. I dropped chem after AS, and decided to take up a new subject. I am considering either geography, maths or psychology. Probably be maths though. I wanted to do an extra year, because I'm not ready to make my mind up about uni/future studies yet.
Reply 17
Ah well mine's very complex. I took bio, chem and physics. I dropped chem after AS, and decided to take up a new subject. I am considering either geography, maths or psychology. Probably be maths though. I wanted to do an extra year, because I'm not ready to make my mind up about uni/future studies yet.

omg same! i was thinking of taking a year out because i feel like im making decisions for the sake of it rather than because i actually want to do it...and ouch about the physics i only turned up for the first lesson, got told what we were doing for the rest of the year then switched to music lol
maths is a good combo by the way =]
Reply 18
Original post by krishio
omg same! i was thinking of taking a year out because i feel like im making decisions for the sake of it rather than because i actually want to do it...and ouch about the physics i only turned up for the first lesson, got told what we were doing for the rest of the year then switched to music lol
maths is a good combo by the way =]

Yeah maths would help both bio and physics.

My head of year and teachers keep pressuring me to make decisions, but I put my foot down. I don't want to go to uni next year, because I might not want to go at all. I'm considering open uni, but I won't make a decisions until I know I am ready to commit to it, and right now I haven't made that decision.
Have you guys got your A2 bio text book yet?
My college doesn't hand them out till Sept. :frown:

Wow, you've covered a lot already!! :eek:
Do you plan to self study during the holidays and did you just pre-read those chapters or did you also make notes on them too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending