The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manchester United
I would rather us not sign De Rossi. It will only mean we will have the same problem in 2-3 years time. Surely there must be a 20-25 year old CM who is good and wants to join us? Surely?

I'm feeling less confident every day tbh. It's like in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire where Fred/George tells Ron to find a date for the Yule Ball before all the good ones are taken. And then we end up playing the Da Silva twins in midfield.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
I'm feeling less confident every day tbh. It's like in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire where Fred/George tells Ron to find a date for the Yule Ball before all the good ones are taken. And then we end up playing the Da Silva twins in midfield.

Yeah haha.

I can see us putting Jones in the midfield as long as Vidic and Ferdinand are fit.
We'll buy a midfielder. It'll just end up being an average one, though.
You think he's worth the investment? He turns 30 next week. Tbh, in our situation, I'd go for him.

Agree with this. I think Navas is their best signing.

Will Fernandinho and Yaya play in a two man midfield, or will Barry be in there too?

Of course he is - never mind that we're short in the midfield - I think he's the best defensive midfielder in the world (top 3 definitely) - his fee would be cheap (<20mill)

I'll go for Fernandinho - Jovetic will take time to adapt, Negredo = Dzeko, Navas looks like he could be a Valencia for them, might have to play with wingers to suit him.

I've never seen Fernandinho but I just imagine him not forming an unreal midfield with Toure, I mean, €40 million euro and 29 years? He can't flop surely
Original post by NathanW18
We'll buy a midfielder. It'll just end up being an average one, though.

If Moyes hadn't said that we were short there (which everyone could see anyway), I'd say that they were just thinking 'What would Fergie do?' and so buy a striker/defender/goalkeeper instead.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Of course he is - never mind that we're short in the midfield - I think he's the best defensive midfielder in the world (top 3 definitely) - his fee would be cheap (<20mill)

I'll go for Fernandinho - Jovetic will take time to adapt, Negredo = Dzeko, Navas looks like he could be a Valencia for them, might have to play with wingers to suit him.

I've never seen Fernandinho but I just imagine him not forming an unreal midfield with Toure, I mean, €40 million euro and 29 years? He can't flop surely

Interesting. A couple of Spaniards might disagree though.

I actually think Dzeko is better than Negredo. Their strongest front six on paper would probably be...

--------- Aguero
Jovetic - Silva - Navas
- Yaya - Fernandinho
Original post by SirMasterKey
If Moyes hadn't said that we were short there (which everyone could see anyway), I'd say that they were just thinking 'What would Fergie do?' and so buy a striker/defender/goalkeeper instead.

It just wouldn't be the summer transfer window without Sir Alex buying a striker.

I agree with you. The only reason we will buy one is because Moyes has said we're short. I can't see us getting anybody good, though. Unless we sign a youngster that's relatively unheard of and he turns out to be fantastic.
Interesting. A couple of Spaniards might disagree though.

I actually think Dzeko is better than Negredo. Their strongest front six on paper would probably be...

--------- Aguero
Jovetic - Silva - Navas
- Yaya - Fernandinho

I think Milners underrated, I'd put him instead of Jovetic (he's CF, not a CAM right?) so honestly I don't know how he'll play both of them never mind Nasri, Dzeko, Barry, Negredo etc. Agree with Yaya and Fer as best formation.

I'm open to arguments for CDM, but who else fits that category?

Busquets, Toure, Vidal, Gustavo, Khedira, Bender all not as good in my opinion. Might include Sandro, Dembele, Essien at prime and Song but Schweinsteiger I'd say more CM
I think Milners underrated, I'd put him instead of Jovetic (he's CF, not a CAM right?) so honestly I don't know how he'll play both of them never mind Nasri, Dzeko, Barry, Negredo etc. Agree with Yaya and Fer as best formation.

I'm open to arguments for CDM, but who else fits that category?

Busquets, Toure, Vidal, Gustavo, Khedira, Bender all not as good in my opinion. Might include Sandro, Dembele, Essien at prime and Song but Schweinsteiger I'd say more CM

I think the best thing to do would be to play Jovetic on the left and Silva through the middle, but I get the feeling that Jovetic will play in behind the striker with Silva on the flank.

For me, the three best defensive midfielders in the world are Martinez, Busquets and Vidal. Vidal is more box-to-box though, like Schweiny. I think De Rossi is in a class beneath those three, with the others you mentioned.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6869

Jovetic >>>>>>>>>>>>> Milner

That front 6 posted above is definitely their strongest. Jovetic plays behind the striker but also from the wing sometimes, usually left. He'll be able to interchange with Silva anyway. Navas will be strictly on the right, though Nasri can come on and mix it up with them all. Barry is going to be phased out now, for sure, too old and not really that great. Dzeko will probably be sold, and Negredo can play up top with Aguero slotting in behind. I'm sure they'll rotate a lot anyway.
I think the best thing to do would be to play Jovetic on the left and Silva through the middle, but I get the feeling that Jovetic will play in behind the striker with Silva on the flank.

For me, the three best defensive midfielder in the world are Martinez, Busquets and Vidal. Vidal is more box-to-box though, like Schweiny. I think De Rossi is in a class beneath those three, with the others you mentioned.

Ahhhh duh forgot Martinez, tbh haven't really seen enough of Vidal but I can take your point.

Strange getting Jovetic as well, funny because I had figured Higuain would stay at Real, so Ibra would go to City - obviously not now.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Navas will be their singing of the season imo, Fernandinho is an upgrade as well.

I reckon Navas will be another Reyes.
Modric wont leave Madrid.

In the second half of last season he was a beast. I can't seem them letting him go. However, I think you're right about the first two..

What about the signings of Isco and Illaramendi. Where does that leave Modric.

Madrid would sell at the right price
Original post by rodcarter
What about the signings of Isco and Illaramendi. Where does that leave Modric.

Madrid would sell at the right price

I think Illaramendi, Alonso, Khedira and Modric are all fighting for two starting places. I'm sure he'll want to prove himself to Ancelotti and give it one more year. But you could be right. The right price would be upwards of £30m though.
I think Illaramendi, Alonso, Khedira and Modric are all fighting for two starting places. I'm sure he'll want to prove himself to Ancelotti and give it one more year. But you could be right. The right price would be upwards of £30m though.

I think Madrid are planning for life after Xabi Alonso. So I think they will fade Xabi out, fade Illaramendi in, but the majority of the time play Khedira and Modric. Isco has tough competition for the CAM role though.
Does anyone think it would be worth putting in an offer for Song? We may as well just spam Barcelona with offers. They will eventually cave.
Does anyone think it would be worth putting in an offer for Song? We may as well just spam Barcelona with offers. They will eventually cave.

Backup defensive mid not happening either haha
Reply 6877

i think he can hack it at UTD hes what we need atm
Sky sports:

David Moyes has been speaking at a press conference in Sydney and the Manchester United manager has confirmed that nothing has changed regarding the future of Wayne Rooney.Chelsea had a bid rejected for the striker earlier this week, but Moyes has insisted that Rooney is still not for sale.

And the United manager was also talking about potential incomings at Old Trafford after confirming the club have made a bid for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas. Moyes is waiting for an update on the latest situation concerning the Fabregas offer, but is hoping for some good news in the 'not too distant future' as he looks to make his first signing.
Reply 6879
I can't see Rooney leaving this summer but possibly next year.

Normally in this instance I'd say no chance at all for Fabregas but it's the year before the world cup and players need to be playing regularly. And it sounds like Barcelona need to recoup some money after spending god knows how much on Neymar. It is highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened in football.

Also, people have been saying for months that we've signed Garay. If that was the case, he'd have been unveiled by now. It wouldn't take this long. So, I can't see us getting him either.

And why has nobody snapped up Eriksen yet from Ajax? I think he's going for circa £15m. Absolute bargain. :colonhash:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest