The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yennibubs
Always brush before breakfast. I don't brush then have breakfast straight after anyway, so no, my food does not taste minty.

For those who are asking whether I would therefore brush my teeth before lunch and before dinner, well do you brush your teeth after every meal too?

I've always been taught that eating, then brushing teeth right after is not good for your teeth, unless you have an hour or more in between eating food and leaving the house. Personally I eat and leave straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if youre up early like me and in a rush most of the time, I wouldnt have time to remove the minty taste; I drink water through the night so dont normally wake up with that dry sour taste.

How is brushing teeth after eating bad for the teeth :redface:? I'm intrigued.
Original post by tooosh
Dentists say you should brush a minimum of 2x a day as well. I'm not sure what this is based on or whether it's legit or not but it's ridiculous to laugh at someone for brushing 3x a day.

Brushing straight after eating isn't good according to the NHS, dentists etc. No idea why but it's not just an urban myth or something.

It's a habit from having braces I'd imagine. Like I said, I have OCPD (labels labels ¬¬) and I've greatly reduced my number of times brushing a day, and the number of times I wash my hands, too. I know it's not good to brush all the time, but 3x being called ridiculous is.... stupid, really. Especially as at dinner, I drink a can of coke usually, so I don't want that to be sticking around and eroding my teeth!

With brushing after breakfast, I wait until I'm done in the shower to brush, and after dinner, I wait until I've washed up the dishes. And then I brush my teeth before bed, which is usually in the small hours of the morning, so it's never exactly straight away! I just must brush at some point (silly routines) :tongue:
Reply 142
Original post by ShadowWolf21
It's a habit from having braces I'd imagine. Like I said, I have OCPD (labels labels ¬¬) and I've greatly reduced my number of times brushing a day, and the number of times I wash my hands, too. I know it's not good to brush all the time, but 3x being called ridiculous is.... stupid, really. Especially as at dinner, I drink a can of coke usually, so I don't want that to be sticking around and eroding my teeth!

With brushing after breakfast, I wait until I'm done in the shower to brush, and after dinner, I wait until I've washed up the dishes. And then I brush my teeth before bed, which is usually in the small hours of the morning, so it's never exactly straight away! I just must brush at some point (silly routines) :tongue:

You know, people who are OCD about washing their hands actually had it right all along. I remember reading a study where it took 20 seconds of handwashing to remove 90% of bacteria (30 seconds for 99%). 20 seconds is definitely considered OCD in a world where people think supermarket brand standard soap actually kills bacteria!
Original post by tooosh
You know, people who are OCD about washing their hands actually had it right all along. I remember reading a study where it took 20 seconds of handwashing to remove 90% of bacteria (30 seconds for 99%). 20 seconds is definitely considered OCD in a world where people think supermarket brand standard soap actually kills bacteria!

Well, as I'm going to be working in the healthcare system, I'll be washing them repeatedly anyway, and I won't look strange for it :biggrin: Hooray!

PS: And my hand-washing was a bit much, even by OCD standards? Each time I went to the bathroom, or at any chance I'd get, I'd wash my hands, then re-wash them straight after another two times. Now I just wash them once when I think they feel dirty... Which in my job is often, as right now I deal with money, clothes hangers and dusty warehouse environments :tongue: The hospital will be a nice change!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Apocrypha
Well if youre up early like me and in a rush most of the time, I wouldnt have time to remove the minty taste; I drink water through the night so dont normally wake up with that dry sour taste.

How is brushing teeth after eating bad for the teeth :redface:? I'm intrigued.

I'm up at 5am for work or 7 am for uni... Maybe it's a matter of time management, but I do admit I skip breakfast at home and eat on-the-go or at work when I'm in a rush for time... Which is another reason why I brush before eating.

As for why brushing straight after is bad,
" This is because tooth enamel*is softened by the acid and can be worn away by brushing. Instead, wait an hour after a meal before brushing your teeth to*give your saliva chance to neutralise the acid." - NHS website

They also say this

"When should I brush my teeth?

Brush your teeth for at least two minutes*in the morning before breakfast and last thing at night before you go to bed."

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I brush in the morning after breakfast and in the night before bed, like any normal person.

Interestingly though, I do wash my hands before and after peeing. People are always worried about the germs that get on to their hands but they forget they are also putting germs on their crotch when they get it out.
Reply 146
It's no wonder we have so many allergies because we are so afraid of bacteria we bombard ourselves with constant hand washes, teeth brushing 3,000,000 times a day etc. Soon our immune systems will have nothing left to fight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 147
Original post by Schleigg
Maybe that reply didn't come across as sarcastically as it was intended! :colondollar:

I assure you it was literal. T
Original post by Bloxorus
I've never understood the logic behind brushing before. You're just cleaning then and then getting them dirty, what's the point in that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If this were the case then why do we not brush our teeth after all meals? (The majority of us).

You brush when you wake up before breakfast, then last thing before bed.

This logic fails. I brush my teeth in the morning to clean my mouth and keep my teeth healthy. Teeth were meant for waiting so I do not see how breakfast will "dirty" them, is cereal and toast that messy...
Original post by Hyde
I assure you it was literal. T

No, as in my reply to the OP about the hypothetical cesspool in their mouth after a day was supposed to be sarcastic but came across as sincere, thus earning me the wrath of every other level headed person here!
Reply 150
Original post by Schleigg
No, as in my reply to the OP about the hypothetical cesspool in their mouth after a day was supposed to be sarcastic but came across as sincere, thus earning me the wrath of every other level headed person here!

Oh.:colondollar:
Afterwards - why would you brush your teeth, only to immediately eat again?
Reply 152
Original post by ShadowWolf21
Well, as I'm going to be working in the healthcare system, I'll be washing them repeatedly anyway, and I won't look strange for it :biggrin: Hooray!

PS: And my hand-washing was a bit much, even by OCD standards? Each time I went to the bathroom, or at any chance I'd get, I'd wash my hands, then re-wash them straight after another two times. Now I just wash them once when I think they feel dirty... Which in my job is often, as right now I deal with money, clothes hangers and dusty warehouse environments :tongue: The hospital will be a nice change!

Yeah I guess that would be. It's not so much that you wash your hands a lot but you feel they're dirty when they're obviously not.
At least you can indulge at the hospital and procrastinate in getting rid of it :rolleyes:
Original post by hannah60000
If this were the case then why do we not brush our teeth after all meals? (The majority of us).

This logic fails. I brush my teeth in the morning to clean my mouth and keep my teeth healthy. Teeth were meant for waiting so I do not see how breakfast will "dirty" them, is cereal and toast that messy...

1) Because it's impractical. To compromise we brush our teeth before going to bed--because we have eaten over the course of the day and want to get rid of the food particles and plaque stuck in our teeth from that eating.

2) Just saying it doesn't make it true.

3) Cereal and toast are actually both foods that easily cling to your teeth when eaten and get stuck in them. This is how plaque forms. It's not about 'dirty' or 'messy' food.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 154
Original post by Secretnerd123
Im before and i was suprised to find that many of my friends do it after breakfast. Why would you want to have breakfast with all that bacteria still in your mouth?
Thats just my opinion though! If you do it after please dont be offended

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agree, i never got people who brush after. I just feel filthy in the morning if I don't brush them first thing, hell, I don't understand why people kiss each other when they wake up, yuuck!
Reply 155
Original post by Stevo F
It's just natural bacteria you have in your mouth anyway, you brush your teeth before lunch and before dinner as well then? :rolleyes:

but your mouth feels all weird and dirty, and plaque and bad breath, you don't really get that through out the day
Reply 156
After breakfast because i normally drink very strong coffee and eat very fruitie things so have to stop the bacteria.
Original post by tooosh
Yeah I guess that would be. It's not so much that you wash your hands a lot but you feel they're dirty when they're obviously not.
At least you can indulge at the hospital and procrastinate in getting rid of it :rolleyes:

When I'm work, I'm not so bad! They actually do get ridiculously dirty, it's unbelievable, I'll wash them, and the water will run black off my hands. It's horrifying!

But yeah, it's not as bad as it once was. Now I only wash them when necessary, and only once each time. I've done really well getting rid of the obsessive hand-washing. Well, I think so anyway :smile:
Original post by hannah60000

Well you get pieces of food stuck in your molars which causes cavities so i'd count that as getting them dirty. My grandpa was a dentist and he always encouraged me to brush after every meal when I wasn't at school, we don't brush after lunch simply for the impracticality of it.

If your one of the people who uses the argument "I brush my teeth before so I don't have to eat breakfast with bacteria in my mouth" then you are extremely stupid to think that brushing your teeth removes all of the billions of bacteria that live in your mouth.
Reply 159
Youre really meant to brush ur teeth before and then again at night after you have flossed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest