The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4320
Original post by sevchenko
I deliberately left out the newly promoted thing because it's irrelevant.
No. You deliberately left it out to completely change what I said in an attempt to make me look hypocritical so you could jump in with your facepalm emoticon. Deliberately misquoting people to suit your agenda doesn't make you look smart pal, far from it.

So what if Monaco are newly promoted it's got nothing to do with the argument.
How does it not? Monaco are attempting to go from a Ligue 2 squad to one which can win Ligue 1 in a single season by spending an obscene amount of money on very few players, far more than we did (as I pointed out in my previous post). We came 4th in the 02/03 season so we at least we had a relatively decent squad to build from, rather than one full of second division standard players. Again, I am not defending our spending, no idea why you seem incapable of understanding that.

I AGREE £35M FOR CARROL WAS WAY OVERPRICED but will liverpool be doing it again? Chelsea didn't learn their lessons from Shevchenko before they went for Torres. Why? because money is immaterial to chelsea
As I pointed out to you before, Torres and Shevchenko were indeed overpriced, but not to the extent of Hulk (the whole point of this ffs) or Carroll, and more importantly were both flops: we thought we were paying the premium for top-quality players which would be worth the expense. This differs from Monaco, who've spent loads of money at Hulk, an average player, just because they can. And with regards to what I've bolded, what are you suggesting, that we never spend any large sum money on a player again because Shevchenko/Torres have flopped in the past? Notice how we never actually bidded for Cavani or Falcao because of their price...

I wasn't looking for an argument, there's no need to be rude just because I have a opposing view. Telling a person to "piss off" over the internet is just sad. Grow up.
...So responding to us discussing how Hulk was no way in hell worth so much with "Oh the Irony" and then going on to quote three Chelsea fans saying "Its unbelievable a chelsea fan can criticize Monaco for spending too much on a player." isn't looking for an argument? :rolleyes:

This debate has been had literally hundreds of times in this thread alone. We're all bored of it hence none of us appreciating you spewing your biased, ill-informed and poorly constructed argument. Please don't bother to reply, or if you are, how abut this time actually addressing the points raised against you instead of just ignoring them because you have no retort, as I really can't be bothered to constantly repeat myself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well done Nickini :smile:
Original post by iRush
Yes, its almost like a new cycle begins with them. It's got to a point where I don't think you can take a potentially real transfer serious till the clubs come out and make official statements. Lol Ronaldo, that's just ridiculous. I'm really happy with the squad, we have a lot of depth this season, compared to last year and the thing is we talked about De Rossi being a transfer because Romeu is gone and/or Mikel was leaving but if Mikel stays (which is looking likely), we have Essien, Luiz and Ramires if you really want to. KdB, Lampard, Oscar and MvG can play in the other half of the double pivot, so we're set.

I finally feel like we're covered in most if not all areas without making an enourmous amount of signings.

Indeed. I really don't have much interest in the transfer window, mostly for this reason. I occasionally check to see what transfers are official, but that's it. Most of the knowledge of rumours I have comes from the threads on here. I hope Romeu makes it, though. He'd be an ideal replacement for Mikel.

Imagine us with the 2003 Ronaldo da Lima. :sogood:

Original post by iRush

We do not.

Yeah, he was pretty good, scored 15 goals that year. No idea what happened next season. I think people realised, just play him on to his left foot and he not know what to do lol.

Quite a few good goals were scored by him as well. I remember a lovely header against Blackburn from fifteen or sixteen yards. Oh well. We have better players now and he was rather disagreeable in his last year here.
I'd like Higuain tbh, with Ba making way.
Reply 4324
Original post by Isometrix
I'd like Higuain tbh, with Ba making way.
Wouldn't mind this either, although not for the €40m fee RM apparently want.

Talking of Real, their new away kit looks...familiar...

Reply 4325
It takes an extreme form of chauvinism to argue that what PSG, Monaco are doing is any different to what Chelsea did (do).
Reply 4326
Original post by Nickini

I was convinced I was looking at models modelling the Chelsea kit for a while when I initially saw this :facepalm2:
Most clubs have had some external funding in their history. Usually it's the demographic of the wealth that people only acknowledge. In the past we had fans of the club pouring their own personal wealth into their clubs and people will usually only cite Jack Walker for Blackburn because it is the Premier League era. Plenty of examples existed way before him.

It will be interesting to see with Monaco because they kicked up a fuss that the French authorities have taken away their tax free status. There are plenty of ways, on a national level, that clubs can gain advantages over clubs abroad.
Reply 4328
Original post by 419
It takes an extreme form of chauvinism to argue that what PSG, Monaco are doing is any different to what Chelsea did (do).

Did you read what we said? As I didn't say we were doing anything different(bar trying to win ligue 1 in your first season back there) all we said is that £52 for hulk is a joke I know you know and sev knows
Reply 4329
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Most clubs have had some external funding in their history. Usually it's the demographic of the wealth that people only acknowledge. In the past we had fans of the club pouring their own personal wealth into their clubs and people will usually only cite Jack Walker for Blackburn because it is the Premier League era. Plenty of examples existed way before him.

It will be interesting to see with Monaco because they kicked up a fuss that the French authorities have taken away their tax free status. There are plenty of ways, on a national level, that clubs can gain advantages over clubs abroad.

It's almost as if we repeat ourselves every two weeks as another person does this slate chelsea day
Reply 4330
Original post by jam277
Did you read what we said? As I didn't say we were doing anything different(bar trying to win ligue 1 in your first season back there) all we said is that £52 for hulk is a joke I know you know and sev knows

And all he did was mention that it's ironic you guys criticise other teams for overspending on players. Which it is. Just like it was when people criticised PSG on here as well.

You all use the same MO, flex your financial bicep during negotiations be it in terms of bid and/or wages to get players. How can you argue against this?

And NDGAARONDI's post backs this point and wasn't supporting your criticism of PSG overspending on Hulk.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4331
Original post by 419
And all he did was mention that it's ironic you guys criticise other teams for overspending on players. Which it is. Just like it was when people criticised PSG on here as well.

You all use the same MO, flex your financial bicep during negotiations be it in terms of bid and/or wages to get players. How can you argue against this?

And NDGAARONDI's post backs this point and wasn't supporting your criticism of PSG overspending on Hulk.

When did I say we didn't do this? Find the quote where I said we're not like PSG I said that PSG had a good history seeing as they're 40 years old. All I said on the Hulk transfer was that Hulk based on his form, not playing in a big 5 league and being **** for the past season does not warrant a £12million profit ffs
Reply 4332
Original post by jam277
When did I say we didn't do this? Find the quote where I said we're not like PSG I said that PSG had a good history seeing as they're 40 years old. All I said on the Hulk transfer was that Hulk based on his form, not playing in a big 5 league and being **** for the past season does not warrant a £12million profit ffs

Stop taking things so personal. I haven't mentioned you once. I made a generic statement.

>>>>people criticised PSG
>>>>people

Everyone knows that they overpaid for him. Just like Chelsea have for many players in their recent history. That's the crux of the point. So it's nothing short of hypocrisy to criticise them especially when you guys have defended the practices of your club. It's the MO of clubs who want to parachute themselves to the apex.
Reply 4333
Original post by 419

As I said to Sevchenko, just because our club is guilty of splashing the cash, does that mean we, as fans, agree with it? No. Does that mean we can't comment on other club's similar practises? No. We're stuck with it. Unless of course, we're supposed to just start supporting a different team?

We were discussing how Hulk isn't worth anywhere near that sum of money, although according to the "Football Police" we apparently can't do that, so I guess we'd better not mention Carroll ever again either, seeing as he was overpriced too... Sev then decided to use this opportunity to criticise us so I pointed out the differences between our situation and Monaco's, whilst stressing I wasn't defending our spending (something I haven't really seen anyone do in ages tbf despite your implication we're all at it) although he didn't seem to understand that either. NDGAARONDI's post, whilst a good point, doesn't really reflect what we were discussing.

Original post by jam277
It's almost as if we repeat ourselves every two weeks as another person does this slate chelsea day
This forum has far too many bitter posters who seemingly lurk on rival team's threads just waiting for an opportunity to criticise. It's boring and pathetic. The last couple of pages have been a good example of this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4334
Essien must be happy to be back

qivrI.jpg
Reply 4335
Original post by Nickini

Wait what we signed Benzema...a world class striker!...oh wait...

Oh Real.

Original post by KingMessi
Indeed. I really don't have much interest in the transfer window, mostly for this reason. I occasionally check to see what transfers are official, but that's it. Most of the knowledge of rumours I have comes from the threads on here. I hope Romeu makes it, though. He'd be an ideal replacement for Mikel.

Imagine us with the 2003 Ronaldo da Lima. :sogood:

Quite a few good goals were scored by him as well. I remember a lovely header against Blackburn from fifteen or sixteen yards. Oh well. We have better players now and he was rather disagreeable in his last year here.

Yes, quite rightly. He would indeed, so much more composed on the ball and has some exquisite passing. I remember his 90th minute winner against Stoke City. He was and he said he wanted to leave and he had two transfer windows to leave and an offer from Santos, to which he said no because they couldn't afford his wages, then why say you want to go to Brazil? Ah well. What's done is done, can't linger in the past. That Ronaldo would have been smashing it in left right and centre :coma:

Original post by jam277

Story of our lives.

Would not mind Higuain, he'd score a fair few goals and don't we need to replace our long lost Argentine's in Crespo and Di Santo? :tongue:
Original post by iRush
Wait what we signed Benzema...a world class striker!...oh wait...

Oh Real.

Yes, quite rightly. He would indeed, so much more composed on the ball and has some exquisite passing. I remember his 90th minute winner against Stoke City. He was and he said he wanted to leave and he had two transfer windows to leave and an offer from Santos, to which he said no because they couldn't afford his wages, then why say you want to go to Brazil? Ah well. What's done is done, can't linger in the past. That Ronaldo would have been smashing it in left right and centre :coma:

Story of our lives.

Would not mind Higuain, he'd score a fair few goals and don't we need to replace our long lost Argentine's in Crespo and Di Santo? :tongue:

If we're replacing Argentinians can we have Messi please? :teehee:

And yes, I think Chelsea fans were right to take umbrage at Malouda's attitude. He's lost two years of football because of his avarice.
Reply 4337
Lukaku needs to be given a chance this season, think he will do the business !
Original post by 419
Stop taking things so personal. I haven't mentioned you once. I made a generic statement.

>>>>people criticised PSG
>>>>people

Everyone knows that they overpaid for him. Just like Chelsea have for many players in their recent history. That's the crux of the point. So it's nothing short of hypocrisy to criticise them especially when you guys have defended the practices of your club. It's the MO of clubs who want to parachute themselves to the apex.

It's not hypocritical when many Chelsea fans criticise their own clubs spending as well. When Torres was bought for £50m (and Scheva for £30m) there was a lot of criticism from Chelsea fans towards the board.
Reply 4339
Original post by KingMessi
If we're replacing Argentinians can we have Messi please? :teehee:

And yes, I think Chelsea fans were right to take umbrage at Malouda's attitude. He's lost two years of football because of his avarice.

Hahaha, why not! Come on Roman you can do it. Wished we got Aguero though, one player I was really hoping to come to Chelsea at the time. He did and then he blames the club for stopping him? Really Malouda really? Ah well.

Latest