The Student Room Group

Any advice appreciated re: BSc Hons Interactive Multimedia Design

Hi Everyone,

I'm just hoping for some advice in a recent situation i've experienced. I applied in january for BSc (Hons) Interactive Multimedia Design at University of Ulster, Jordanstown; I was given a conditional offer stating that if I achieved a distinction in my current course (HNC Interactive Media) along with GCSE maths at grade C (which I re-sat in June).

I collected my HNC certificate yesterday, and unfortunately, I only achieved an over all merit. You can imagine how gutted I was, but today im in a much more positive mood and just trying to think what options I have available to me. Obviously since the results haven't been sent to the university by UCAS yet, I haven't actually been told for sure I'm not getting on, but im just planning for the worst.

I have just found a Foundation Degree in iMedia with the Belfast Met, which then qualifies you to complete the BSc Hons IMD with a further 2 years study. This seems like a good option.

The only thing is, for their entry requirements, as usual its 5 GCSE's with maths and english at grade C, as well as 280 UCAS points.

Here lies the problem - I have no idea how many UCAS points I have. I have a BTEC National Diploma in IT Practitioners from a LONG time ago at grade PPP, and the recent BTEC Level 4 HNC Interactive Media at a merit. Does anyone know how many points this is worth?

Obviously i'm hoping that somehow I will get onto IMD the standard route as my overall grades in the course were 3 merits, 1 pass and 4 distinctions, but if that falls through id just like to have a sturdy backup plan as i am absolutely determined to do this degree, if not this year by this route, then next year.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Original post by Zany90
Hi Everyone,

I'm just hoping for some advice in a recent situation i've experienced. I applied in january for BSc (Hons) Interactive Multimedia Design at University of Ulster, Jordanstown; I was given a conditional offer stating that if I achieved a distinction in my current course (HNC Interactive Media) along with GCSE maths at grade C (which I re-sat in June).

I collected my HNC certificate yesterday, and unfortunately, I only achieved an over all merit. You can imagine how gutted I was, but today im in a much more positive mood and just trying to think what options I have available to me. Obviously since the results haven't been sent to the university by UCAS yet, I haven't actually been told for sure I'm not getting on, but im just planning for the worst.

I have just found a Foundation Degree in iMedia with the Belfast Met, which then qualifies you to complete the BSc Hons IMD with a further 2 years study. This seems like a good option.

The only thing is, for their entry requirements, as usual its 5 GCSE's with maths and english at grade C, as well as 280 UCAS points.

Here lies the problem - I have no idea how many UCAS points I have. I have a BTEC National Diploma in IT Practitioners from a LONG time ago at grade PPP, and the recent BTEC Level 4 HNC Interactive Media at a merit. Does anyone know how many points this is worth?

Obviously i'm hoping that somehow I will get onto IMD the standard route as my overall grades in the course were 3 merits, 1 pass and 4 distinctions, but if that falls through id just like to have a sturdy backup plan as i am absolutely determined to do this degree, if not this year by this route, then next year.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think your best bet is to call both places and ask them direct. Firstly, find out if you are actually going to be rejected - you never know, they may be lenient. Then check on the other course and your qualifications. Yours isn't a straightforward case, particularly as one of your qualifications you say is pretty old, so we on here would only be guessing how the admissions tutors would react. Good luck.
I'm going to be doing the Foundation Degree iMedia course at Belfast Met. I didn't have my maths GCSE nor an essential skills numeracy (although I did a fast track course during the summer just to be safe) but they said they said that I would still be able to get onto the course because I got a triple D* in the Level 3 Interactive Media course. Just try asking. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending