The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adi19956
Are these predicted grades or do you already have these?

Neither, it's just the minimum grades i expect to get. I think with a bit of work i can quite comfortably get an A* in maths.
I like the look of physics and philosophy but I'm worried about the physics grounding I'm going to get. Will I miss out important 'core' topics?

Oxford would be the ideal location for me but, being humble, I want to have another 5 lined up just in case I don't feel up to putting myself through doing 2/3 of two degrees :redface:

There don't seem to be many decent options tbh. Especially since I don't really want to be heading any further north than Birmingham.
Reply 242
Im looking to do physphil aswell! Apparently its the hardest course you can take at Oxford but im trying not to let that put me off :/ there aren't many unis that do it as you said, but bristol looks really good and is my 2nd choice after oxford, and its a bit closer than Oxford for me. Nottingham, Sheffield and Durham are probs gonna be my others.

I think you do all of the core topics, you just miss out on some lab work, and don't do some of the optional modules, but really it depends on the uni

What A levels you doing? :smile:
Original post by joostan
Why hello there :sexface: :wink:

Not really, but you can only pick one - perhaps one for the other unis may have helped :tongue:

The Elegant Universe is good.
Also one of the Hawking ones.

Spoiler

Hello male physicist :P I'm currently mid-logic manual, now THAT is a struggle! I've had The Elegant Universe recommended before though, I think I'll get hold of that one :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 244
Original post by LittleMissDancer
Hello male physicist :P I'm currently mid-logic manual, now THAT is a struggle! I've had The Elegant Universe recommended before though, I think I'll get hold of that one :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds painful :redface:
Good, good. I've also finished the Quantum Universe by Brian Cox/Jeff Forshaw, it's worth a look though IMO they tried to hard to simplify the book, but ho hum :tongue:
Original post by joostan
Good, good. I've also finished the Quantum Universe by Brian Cox/Jeff Forshaw, it's worth a look though IMO they tried to hard to simplify the book, but ho hum :tongue:

It's worth it though - for the satisfaction upon understanding what it's going on about!

That's the problem with so many science books aimed at the public - especially when they assume our knowledge of maths to be limited to 2+2=4. But I'm yet to find middle ground, it's either public stuff or under-grad course books!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 246
Original post by joostan

I'm reading it right now and I agree with you. I'm a bit put off because of their attempt to simplify so much that they quite miss the point sometimes. Some parts are enjoyable, on the other hand, and it's not a complete waste of time to read it.
Reply 247
Original post by IlariaM
I'm reading it right now and I agree with you. I'm a bit put off because of their attempt to simplify so much that they quite miss the point sometimes. Some parts are enjoyable, on the other hand, and it's not a complete waste of time to read it.

Indeed. The last bit, the epilogue is something to look forward to :smile:

Original post by LittleMissDancer
It's worth it though - for the satisfaction upon understanding what it's going on about!

That's the problem with so many science books aimed at the public - especially when they assume our knowledge of maths to be limited to 2+2=4. But I'm yet to find middle ground, it's either public stuff or under-grad course books!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Undergrad ftw I say
Though, the only undergrad book I have is the mathematical methods for physics, and it doesn't really have physics in it :cool:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 248
Hey,
I have just finished my as levels this year and i am hoping to get 4 A's (physics, biology, maths and history). I am currently interested in Manchester, Durham, Queens Belfast and possibly Warwick (due to their Global warming module)
I was just wondering if there is much difference in what is taught in in each university and do some neglect a certain topic in favour of another?

Because I am really interested in modern physics and mind teasing theories (e.g holographic principle-not saying i agree with it but it is an interesting thing to consider) and less interested in optics and lasers, although i dont mind learning it, and want to know if choosing which uni i go to will affect this.

Thanks!
Reply 249
Original post by Aleac
Hey,
I have just finished my as levels this year and i am hoping to get 4 A's (physics, biology, maths and history). I am currently interested in Manchester, Durham, Queens Belfast and possibly Warwick (due to their Global warming module)
I was just wondering if there is much difference in what is taught in in each university and do some neglect a certain topic in favour of another?

Because I am really interested in modern physics and mind teasing theories (e.g holographic principle-not saying i agree with it but it is an interesting thing to consider) and less interested in optics and lasers, although i dont mind learning it, and want to know if choosing which uni i go to will affect this.

Thanks!

All universities that teach physics have a certain set of core topics that they must teach to be IOP accredited. Where they differ is in their optional modules (although many of these overlap) and they also all seem to teach computing differently too.
I'm afraid that you will be learning classical physics including optics wherever you go, this will not affect your choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guess I'm a little late to catch onto this thread, but hi everyone! I'm Sofija, and I aiming to do cosmology, so I'm picking mostly astrophysics courses where possible.
I'm liking Oxford (i can dream, right?), Lancaster, Imperial and UCL and I've just finished some work experience at Manchester and it was great! I'm hoping it'll give me some leeway on their insane A*A*A entry requirements.
I'm studying maths, further maths, physics chemistry and music technology at the moment, and I'm predicted As apart from chemistry which is a B, But I'm dropping music tech and chemisrty so I'm not so upset if I get a B in it. I've tried to do anything I can that's related, so I've joined my local astronomy and physics society aswell as setting up my school's astronomy club, I've got as much work experience as I could manage and I'm doing an EPQ on dark matter.
Hopefully somewhere will be kind and give me place :biggrin: Don't really know many people that care about physics so if anyone wants to be physics friends I'd be more than happy!
Reply 251
Original post by sofi.durward
Guess I'm a little late to catch onto this thread, but hi everyone! I'm Sofija, and I aiming to do cosmology, so I'm picking mostly astrophysics courses where possible.
I'm liking Oxford (i can dream, right?), Lancaster, Imperial and UCL and I've just finished some work experience at Manchester and it was great! I'm hoping it'll give me some leeway on their insane A*A*A entry requirements.
I'm studying maths, further maths, physics chemistry and music technology at the moment, and I'm predicted As apart from chemistry which is a B, But I'm dropping music tech and chemisrty so I'm not so upset if I get a B in it. I've tried to do anything I can that's related, so I've joined my local astronomy and physics society aswell as setting up my school's astronomy club, I've got as much work experience as I could manage and I'm doing an EPQ on dark matter.
Hopefully somewhere will be kind and give me place :biggrin: Don't really know many people that care about physics so if anyone wants to be physics friends I'd be more than happy!

Yet another female physicist o.O :hello:
Welcome to TSR :tsr:
Sounds like you've got some nice opportunities. :smile:
Original post by joostan
Yet another female physicist o.O :hello:
Welcome to TSR :tsr:
Sounds like you've got some nice opportunities. :smile:

Hi :smile:
Your predicted grades are so high!:eek: Seems like you're gonna do awesome, but yeah. So why mathematics and physics then?
Reply 253
Hi :smile:
Your predicted grades are so high!:eek: Seems like you're gonna do awesome, but yeah. So why mathematics and physics then?

Stalking me eh? :wink:
Haha cheers. . . why not? I love my maths, but am not convinced I'd like all the really pure stuff, so physics seems like a great idea :smile:
Original post by joostan
Stalking me eh? :wink:
Haha cheers. . . why not? I love my maths, but am not convinced I'd like all the really pure stuff, so physics seems like a great idea :smile:

Not stalking, just being curious :tongue: and that's a fair enough reason I guess, what do you think you want to do as a job then? (sorry if i'm being all annoying and pesky) :smile:
Reply 255
Hi I'm Adrian
Top to bottom: Durham, Nottingham, Birmigham, Sheffield, Liverpool
At AS I studied Maths, Physics, Economics and Chemistry. Probably going to get aaab+/-b respectively at AS. Dropping chemistry at A2. Hope to get A*AA at A2, again respectively.
I feel like I've had infinite prospectuses! But I'm sure about the universities above.
Male, sorry.
Reply 256
Not stalking, just being curious :tongue: and that's a fair enough reason I guess, what do you think you want to do as a job then? (sorry if i'm being all annoying and pesky) :smile:

Fair enough. :wink: Not at all. :smile:
Not too sure. I was thinking PhD plus research but obviously the city has it's attractions for a mathmo :tongue:

Original post by adi19956
Hi I'm Adrian
Top to bottom: Durham, Nottingham, Birmigham, Sheffield, Liverpool
At AS I studied Maths, Physics, Economics and Chemistry. Probably going to get aaab+/-b respectively at AS. Dropping chemistry at A2. Hope to get A*AA at A2, again respectively.
I feel like I've had infinite prospectuses! But I'm sure about the universities above.
Male, sorry.

:wavey: Sounds good :smile:
Reply 257
Original post by joostan
Fair enough. :wink: Not at all. :smile:
Not too sure. I was thinking PhD plus research but obviously the city has it's attractions for a mathmo :tongue:

:wavey: Sounds good :smile:

The city is alluring even for natscis...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 258
Original post by Goods
The city is alluring even for natscis...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, so much money there - maybe being a financial advisor / actuary would be more principled :s-smilie:
I'm sure there's another thread for this?

But yeah, I'm looking at physics or physics and music probably at Exeter, Leeds, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Royal Holloway, and yes I'm female! Currently studying physics, chemistry, maths and further maths, probably dropping the further maths next year depending on results :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply