The Student Room Group

When did you realise looks

When did you realise that looks werent everything?

When did you realise you have a purpose greater than your own?

When did you realise that you'd like to share your life with someone?

The answer to those three questions I have recently discovered for myself. At 22 im a late bloomer in the relationship department, I havent had a gf, never been on a date and i've always been rejected.

I have had troubles with confidence in the past and tis only within the last year to 18months ive truly come out of my shell. I have seen a massive improvement in friendships with girls and I've even had a chance to get laid a few times, I had my first kiss a few months back and everything has been great.

Over the past few months ive realised that looks arent everything, I've developed closer relationships to my female friends and I can see myself dating them if they didnt all already have boyfriends. The company of a female who can make me laugh and have a deep conversation with far outweighs the aesthetics of a female who can barely make me laugh or engage in conversation.

So when did you guys realise the above?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Life has a purpose? Aside from reproduction?

Do enlighten!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Alpharius
Life has a purpose? Aside from reproduction?

Do enlighten!

Posted from TSR Mobile

A purpose "greater than your own" i.e. Someone else's purpose in life, wanting to share those experiences with someone else and eventually having a child of your own and then your purpose in life would be to care for them.
Looks are everything. People treat you better, want to be your friends and you don't get discriminated against.. I'd choose looks over being intelligent and personality if I had to make the choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

The answer to those three questions I have recently discovered for myself. At 22 im a late bloomer in the relationship department, I havent had a gf, never been on a date and i've always been rejected.

I have had troubles with confidence in the past and tis only within the last year to 18months ive truly come out of my shell. I have seen a massive improvement in friendships with girls and I've even had a chance to get laid a few times, I had my first kiss a few months back and everything has been great.

Over the past few months ive realised that looks arent everything, I've developed closer relationships to my female friends and I can see myself dating them if they didnt all already have boyfriends. The company of a female who can make me laugh and have a deep conversation with far outweighs the aesthetics of a female who can barely make me laugh or engage in conversation.

So when did you guys realise the above?

i watch the programme Snog, Marry, Avoid when my sister puts it on and when the girl with loads of makeup goes for the natural healthy look she's really pretty but she still has that nasty personality so i still see her as unattractive
Reply 5
I think I was about 12 when I realised that looks weren't everything. I mean I knew someone who could be considered by many as pretty 'effing fugly - but he was one of my best friends. :h:

From a relationship standpoint however.. looks don't mean too much to me - of course you need to have an element of attraction and rah, rah, rah - but the interpersonal qualities one holds is what truly makes someone beautiful IMO!
Reply 6
Of course you have to find someone sexually attractive first and foremost otherwise you wouldnt be attracted to them. When it boils down to it, Initial attraction is down to whether or not you want to sleep with them or not.

Its finding that balance between the two. That makes for a great relationship.
Reply 7
Original post by hiddenbutterfly
Looks are everything. People treat you better, want to be your friends and you don't get discriminated against.. I'd choose looks over being intelligent and personality if I had to make the choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're a very sad individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow. Have you met ISA? You two could be best friends.
Looks are essentially the start to any relationship, basic physical attraction...but it's personality which establishes long term friendships and relationships! :smile:
Original post by Mitsukino
You're a very sad individual.

It is simply the truth LOL you deluded individual ! :rolleyes:
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Wow. Have you met ISA? You two could be best friends.

Seen her threads.
No thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't understand the idea that being more attractive means you get more friends? How can you be friends with someone based on attraction, friendship is based on shared interests and how much you can enjoy spending time together-who are these mystical people that can have friendships based on levels of beauty?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Such a div! Looks shouldn't be counted for anything! Your other posts hiddenbutterfly are shocking, you should be exiled from The Student Room! :devil3:
Reply 14
Maybe when I was around 17/18 and this good-looking girl from my school started dating the most hideous guy you will ever see in your life. They are still very important though.

Not sure what this one is supposed to mean...

I realised I don't want to about six months ago, and I'm completely against the idea now. The more I think about relationships, this stupider they seem.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sheldor
I don't understand the idea that being more attractive means you get more friends? How can you be friends with someone based on attraction, friendship is based on shared interests and how much you can enjoy spending time together-who are these mystical people that can have friendships based on levels of beauty?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beautiful females mostly hang out with other beautiful females
Original post by Taci
Such a div! Looks shouldn't be counted for anything! Your other posts hiddenbutterfly are shocking, you should be exiled from The Student Room! :devil3:

I'm just saying the truth
I realised this during junior high, when the boys and girls who thought they were "cool" bullied and alienated me from talking to them. Apparently I wasn't "pretty enough".
I'm still not the "prettiest", and those self-proclaimed "cool people" still don't want to talk to me, but I don't give a crap.

However, I do think that we should at least be conscious of how we look and try to look good in our own way. Intelligence and personality do count as major aspects, as looks alone don't show an individual's true self.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Truth right there.
Reply 19
Beautiful females mostly hang out with other beautiful females

They also think their pussy is made of gold.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending