The Student Room Group

Dubai offers gold in return for weight loss

Authorities in Dubai are offering gold in return for weight loss in an scheme to encourage healthier living.

Those interested can sign up from Friday for the initiative which lasts over the next 30 days and coincides with Ramadan, a month of fasting.

For each kilogram lost, participants will receive a gram of gold, which is currently worth about $45 (£30).

Those taking part - dubbed "golden losers" - need to lose at least two kilos to receive the payout.

The three participants who lose the most weight will be entered into a draw to win a gold coin worth $5,400.

Called Your Weight in Gold the scheme was announced by Hussain Nasser Lootah, director general of Dubai Municipality.

"Ramadan is the most appropriate season to launch such initiatives as it reminds us about many health benefits of reducing weight and encourages us to take strong steps to change our bad lifestyles," he said.

There has been alarm across Gulf States at the sharp rise in obesity blamed on increasing fast-food diets and a lack of exercise.

The Your Weight in Gold scheme is being sponsored by the Dubai Gold and Jewellery Group and Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC) .

Ahmed bin Sulayem, executive chairman of the DMCC said: "We would highly encourage everyone from all walks of life to take part in this great initiative and hope DMCC's contribution of AED 100,000 ($27,225) worth of gold coins will help motivate individuals."

At Friday's registration participants will be able to receive advice on how to lose weight without harming their health.

The final weigh-in will take place on 16 August.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23373186
If I lived in Dubai I could have made almost 2 grand from the weight I lost. If only Britain did the same.. (although I know I shouldn't have got fat in the first place!)
Reply 2
its a nice idea and a good way to encourage ur society to be healthier,but it will annoy thoes who are already healthy
Reply 3
£30 per kilo?!?
Nice incentive. I think I need to lose 5Kg. I mean getting paid £150 for 5Kg isn't too bad, for about 5-10 weeks of gym? So about £20 - £40 expense, for £150 gain. Not too bad I guess

What's wrong with simply giving money however?
Reply 5
Nothing like offering gold for weight loss in the holy and pure month of Ramadan.

If they can afford it and it helps obesity problems, then why not...
I only they sat down and had a think about this...

Yes its a great incentive to loose weight, and they do have the money to do this. Unfortunately, what they obviously failed to realise, there will be large amounts of people who will put on a huge amount of weight leading up to this scheme and then loose it all and more during ramadan to receive the gold. Especially as it is available to 'all walks of life'. There are quite a lot of labourers in Dubai in need of that money, and with the vast amount of fast food available I know where they will be in the months prior to ramadan.
Reply 7
You don't lose weight by fasting, or at least not the amount worth in gold. You lose weight by eating more healthy food, stimulating the metabolism, switching from sugar burning to fat burning, and include weight training and cardio.
Original post by aquaphobictuna
I only they sat down and had a think about this...

Yes its a great incentive to loose weight, and they do have the money to do this. Unfortunately, what they obviously failed to realise, there will be large amounts of people who will put on a huge amount of weight leading up to this scheme and then loose it all and more during ramadan to receive the gold. Especially as it is available to 'all walks of life'. There are quite a lot of labourers in Dubai in need of that money, and with the vast amount of fast food available I know where they will be in the months prior to ramadan.

How can they put on huge about of weight when there are only a few days leading up to this scheme..(right?) .surely this sort of thing won't be offered next year...
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
How can they put on huge about of weight when there are only a few days leading up to this scheme..(right?) .surely this sort of thing won't be offered next year...

Well obviously not on this occasion, I assumed that this scheme was not just a one off and the incentive would be offered the following year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending