University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Live Q&A session

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HereIam123
Hi Stacey,

I have a few questions...

I was wondering how much parking costs at the Uni? I parked in the car park directly outside the building on my interview day. As I will be commuting by car, will this parking be available for me while I am a student? If so how much is it per day/month/year?

You say that the University can help provide part time work. Is this readily available or is there a huge waiting list?

Is the gym open early mornings before lectures begin?

Do you get penalised on a course if you can't make it in some days?

Is that vicar lady off the TV working in the chapel there?

Thank you so much for your help !! :smile: xx

Hi,

1) You have to apply for parking permits. Chances are that you won't be able to get a permit for the Kedleston Road campus because parking is limited, however if you have a specific need to park there, you can apply. Most students use the park and ride at Markeaton Park. You can find out more information about parking on this website: http://www.derby.ac.uk/travelandtransport/derby/student-car-parking. Prices are still to be confirmed for the coming year.

2) You register with the student employment agency, who then email work out to everyone that is registered. This varies from temporary one-day jobs to longer-term and permanent jobs. One day jobs tend to be first come-first served, but other jobs require you to send in your CV and covering letter.

3) You can find the gym opening hours on this website: http://www.teamderbyfitness.com/. The gym opens at 7am on weekdays.

4) You don't really get penalised on a day to day basis, because you're paying to be there. You may get kicked off the module if you miss several lectures because after you have missed so many it becomes near impossible to pass the module. You also must ensure that you don't miss any key lectures with assessments/practicals etc.

5) I don't know who you're talking about i'm afraid. Feel free to get in touch with them at 01332 591285, they should be able to answer your questions.

Hope this helps!

Stacey
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Hi everyone,

I'm here and ready to answer your questions for this week's live Q&A!

Stacey
Original post by University of Derby
Hi everyone,

I'm here and ready to answer your questions for this week's live Q&A!

Stacey

Hi Stacey, Do you know how long the timetabling session is for Access?
Hi,

I don't quite get what you mean. Do you mean how long are the classes?

Stacey
Hi,

I don't quite get what you mean. Do you mean how long are the classes?

Stacey

I have a timetabling session on 1st August, i think its to sort out my classes. I wondered how long that usually takes.
Original post by Oldiebutgoodie
I have a timetabling session on 1st August, i think its to sort out my classes. I wondered how long that usually takes.

20 minutes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simplylldxo

Thanks simplylldxo
Original post by Oldiebutgoodie

Hi,

The timetabling session itself doesn't take too long, but try not too book anything else on that day, just in case they have something else planned or it takes longer than usual. You may have to wait around before being seen if there are other students as well.

Stacey
Hi,

The timetabling session itself doesn't take too long, but try not too book anything else on that day, just in case they have something else planned or it takes longer than usual. You may have to wait around before being seen if there are other students as well.

Stacey

Thanks
Helloooo, I was just wondering if you could clarify something for me. I am a UK student starting a Joint Honours in September, do I start the same time as UK students doing a regular degree or do I have an earlier start date?
Original post by lyndsey1405
Helloooo, I was just wondering if you could clarify something for me. I am a UK student starting a Joint Honours in September, do I start the same time as UK students doing a regular degree or do I have an earlier start date?

Hi Lyndsey,

You should be starting at the same time as the rest of our undergraduate students. We will be sending you your induction and enrollment dates soon, so keep an eye out!

Stacey
Hi

I'm looking at doing Early Childhood Studies. If I was to do it part time how many days per week would I attend uni and how many days placement would I do?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lynetteb35
Hi

I'm looking at doing Early Childhood Studies. If I was to do it part time how many days per week would I attend uni and how many days placement would I do?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Lynette,

I'm not too sure, to be honest. If you would like to PM me your email address, I can check up on this and have someone get back to you.

I wouldn't expect you to be in university more than one/one and a half days a week with maybe an additional day as placement, but don't take this as gospel!

If you would like me to get the 100% confirmation of this, please PM me and i'll follow up on this.

Stacey
Hi Parry,

If you're going to be coming from abroad, I would probably aim to be here by the beginning of the second or third week of September at the latest. This is when Fresher's fortnight is and when you will be moving in to halls of residence.

Work experience is very important as it is a highly demanded course. Any work experience will do, so please mention that you have dentistry experience. Some other more appropriate experience would be very helpful, but it doesn't have to be too specific. Any of the options that you have stated would be good, as we are looking for you to draw on the skills that you gained that can be transferred over. Obviously, the more relevant the better though.

Accommodation fees can be paid monthly, as well as termly. Once you have arrived you can arrange to see an adviser from our finance department who can help you set this payment service up.

The only scholarship that we offer is through the National Scholarship Programme. You can find out if you may be eligible by looking at this website: http://www.derby.ac.uk/national-scholarship-programme

Mature students are generally classed as students who are over the age of 21 when they start their course. May I ask why you would like to know this, as I may be able to give more information. The age can vary depending on who/what you need it for.

I hope this has helped, please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

Stacey
Hi,

You won't be classified as a mature student by the university, as you have to be over 21 when STARTING the course. If you start another course after completing this one then you will be classfied as a mature student for that course, but for the purposes of the course you have currently applied for, for the duration of the course you will not be classified as a mature student.

You are indeed correct, after 4.30pm you don't need to pay or have a permit to park at Kedleston Road, however you aren't guaranteed a parking space.

Hope this helps,

Stacey
Reply 135
I'll be commuting up to uni can you give me any ideas where the best and cheapest is to park?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

The park and ride service from Markeaton Park to Kedleston Road is very convenient. You can find more information here: http://www.derby.ac.uk/travelandtransport/derby/student-car-parking

Hope this helps,

Stacey
Reply 137
It says you can get a permit but only for January starters and I'll be starting in September does that mean I can't qualify?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

It is waiting to be updated as the last batch of permits were available only to Jan starts. You can apply for permits for September. Wait until enrollment and there will be lots of people there that you can ask. You can only apply for a permit once you have a confirmed place and have enrolled.

Hope this helps,

Stacey
Reply 139
Are you aloud to park at the uni if you don't have a parking permit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest