The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Was watching the press conference live. Funny that of all the quotes the official United Twitter feed could have chosen from the PC, it chose the Cesc one.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ManUtd/status/358096717842874368

Was hoping to wake up to some fresh news though. :redface:
Reply 6901
Original post by Sami'
Although there was a lot of speculation about Thiago, i don't even think United were after him?

:giggle:
Reply 6902
There seems to be a consistency so far this summer, namely the lack of big-name players wanting to come into United. I fear that, without SAF, Man Utd are not longer big players in the transfer market.

That said, it's ages till the market closes, and it's not as though the public are up-to-date with what's going in in the boardroom.
Original post by M'Ling
There seems to be a consistency so far this summer, namely the lack of big-name players wanting to come into United. I fear that, without SAF, Man Utd are not longer big players in the transfer market.

That said, it's ages till the market closes, and it's not as though the public are up-to-date with what's going in in the boardroom.

if that is the case then hopefully it would only take a year or two of players seeing united cary on winning as usual, to re-store confidence...

*presuming winning continues*
Reply 6904
Original post by fallen_acorns
if that is the case then hopefully it would only take a year or two of players seeing united cary on winning as usual, to re-store confidence...

*presuming winning continues*

Absolutely. In a rather perverted way, the greatest homage to SAF would be for United not to win anything this coming season. That said, I do actually think our current squad is, firstly, strong, and, secondly, relatively young. Why not let Cleverly, Buttner, Rafael - even Evans - prove themselves?

As for next season's haul, I'd like us to focus more on the FA Cup than the Eurppean,simply because it's easier to win (supposedly, and ignoring the fact that United seem to have done considerably better in the UCL than the FA Cup, since last they won at the Millenium Stadium nine seasons ago). This would give some of the less experienced players a chance to see what it takes to win a knockout competition, which they could apply to the Champions League for years to come. Not to say that I wouldn't love to see us win the UCL again, that is; rather that the likes of Bayern Munich, Barcelona, and even PSG (with their new signing Cavani), are looking even stronger than last year.
Atleast Modric is slightly possible, Fabregas would never happen and Vilanova news takes away the 1% chance of it happening anyway.
Barcelona's stance is a tad contradictory. On the one hand, they're giving public noises that Fab won't go and he's "untransferable"; Villanova confirms the player wants to stay etc yet the club don't officially and more important, promptly, reject our offer. I'd assume if the player was not for sale, like the way we rejected Chelsea's bid, that it would have been a categorical no asap. There seems to be a disconnect between the discussions Tito's had with Cesc and the club hierarchy. Cesc, I imagine, will want re-assurance from the club management because he might be a tad uncertain atm.

Maybe Barca are wanting a bigger fee and are doing potentially, what we are doing for Rooney by saying he's not for sale, i.e grabbing a bigger fee but that would be farcical if they did sell for £35m despite him being "untransferrable". But even if that did happen, can't imagine Barca fans kicking a fuss about it as it seems they have yet to fully warm to Fabregas. Not going to happent though, the transfer that is.
Original post by Aky786UK
Barcelona's stance is a tad contradictory. On the one hand, they're giving public noises that Fab won't go and he's "untransferable"; Villanova confirms the player wants to stay etc yet the club don't officially and more important, promptly, reject our offer. I'd assume if the player was not for sale, like the way we rejected Chelsea's bid, that it would have been a categorical no asap. There seems to be a disconnect between the discussions Tito's had with Cesc and the club hierarchy. Cesc, I imagine, will want re-assurance from the club management because he might be a tad uncertain atm.

Maybe Barca are wanting a bigger fee and are doing potentially, what we are doing for Rooney by saying he's not for sale, i.e grabbing a bigger fee but that would be farcical if they did sell for £35m despite him being "untransferrable". But even if that did happen, can't imagine Barca fans kicking a fuss about it as it seems they have yet to fully warm to Fabregas. Not going to happent though, the transfer that is.

Think they haven't fully said no yet because Vilanova is leaving so its up to the new manager?
Original post by Malevolent
Think they haven't fully said no yet because Vilanova is leaving so its up to the new manager?

Makes sense now. This situation with Tito has probably been burning under the background of the Cesc offer so hence the lack of official clarification. I still can't see the new manager letting Cesc go unless the club over-rule him and sell him for a good fee.

if true that would be a brilliant opertunity for united..

the only reason I can see for them not wanting to go for this is if there is another deal we dont know about.. or they are confident on fabregas..
RVP, Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck

Aguero, Dzeko, Jovetic, Negredo

Which team has the better strikers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aky786UK

Barca have rejected the offer.

What is with you United fans. :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stopmessing
RVP, Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck

Aguero, Dzeko, Jovetic, Negredo

Which team has the better strikers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

who knows? pretty impossible to tell how players will adapt to the team/league, even more for strikers :smile:

+ its a little more unclear as rooney + welbeck often play in other positions and for united atleast are not treated as out-and-out CF

my guess though - taking all things into consideration would be that citys attack this year will be lethal. Last year it was lacking, but they have brought both new forwads and new attacking mid/wingers -- IF they can get it to click, it looks like the best front line in the league..

United, if they dont keep rooney, are really really thin up front... RVP is clas, and everyone knows that, though he can go on dry spells (early spring etc) and if he gets injured, then your left with welbeck, who isnt exactly scoring with ease.. and hernandez, who whilst I love to bits, is a little limmited, and can often look lost in the big matches, over the course of 90 mins...
Original post by M'Ling

That is the thing that worries me. We have the toughest start to a new season since records began and people say that we can wait until the transfer window shuts?

We need the players to come in as soon as possible and adapt to the teammates and manager as soon as possible to get off to start the season up and running.

We should be the team that concluded the deal first logically thinking right? Yet, we are the last of the clubs to get a deal done! (Varela does not count).

Those few games at the start of season are so important to moyes, that is why he looking for proven talent that is or was playing the PBL, that is why I think he did not go for Thiago as it might of risked the outcome of the season as he is relatively unproven and is risky. Cesc or Mordic would be perfect as they are great midfielders but crucially have PBL experience.

So it all evolves around Moyes getting the best possible start that he can.
Reply 6915
Original post by doggyfizzel

Moyes is going to look like a complete dick if he fails to sign Thiago and Fabregas then moves on to the B list.

I'm a bit behind on this because I have been on holiday, but The Guardian reported on Monday that Moyes declined to sign Thiago, who wanted to come, in order to pursue Fabregas:

The Guardian

Moyes has turned his attention to the 26-year-old after Thiago Alcantara joined Bayern Munich from Barcelona for £21.6m. Yet it is thought that Moyes could have signed Thiago over the course of the past weeks, with the delay in finally leaving for Bayern being down to United's manager not being completely convinced by the 22-year-old. Although it is understood Thiago was keen on joining United, there were suggestions from some at the club that he might struggle on occasion to cope with the physicality of the Premier League.

If that is true then I think Moyes really missed a trick; Thiago would have been perfect and great value.
If Moyes seriously turned down signing Thiago because of fears about the physicality then that's rather embarrassing as a club. Convinced we are going after Cesc just to please the fans whilst he gets Fellaini and his yellow card every game attitude that certainly fits with the physicality.

I already think Moyes made mistakes in what he has sad about Rooney and hanging him out to dry in the press about him being second choice to RvP. Be rather bad if we get into august with no significant and to be honest.
(edited 10 years ago)
There's no reason for Woodward to fly back out about fabregas if barca aren't willing to sell.
Original post by CB91
Barca have rejected the offer.

What is with you United fans. :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They hAvent though lol
Reply 6919
Original post by Tommyjw
If Moyes seriously turned down signing Thiago because of fears about the physicality then that's rather embarrassing as a club. Convinced we are going after Cesc just to please the fans whilst he gets Fellaini and his yellow card every game attitude that certainly fits with the physicality.

I already think Moyes made mistakes in what he has sad about Rooney and hanging him out to dry in the press about him being second choice to RvP. Be rather bad if we get into august with no significant and to be honest.

There is nothing pleasing about being turned away by yet another world class footballer.

Latest