The Student Room Group

To afraid to go to bed!!

Last night I witnessed a huge, black spider scuttle under my bed. Of course I could never have slept in my bed after seeing that, so I slept in my sisters bed which was luckily vacant for the night. However, today she has returned and I do not know what to do.
The thought of a spider under my bed petrifies me, help. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Get a grip, it's probably gone. But if not, just think of it crawling over your face in the night haha
Reply 2
It's a British spider; it will do you no harm at all. It's hundreds of thousands of times smaller than you; what is it going to do?
Reply 3
They can crawl into your mouth/nose though, just sayin' :biggrin:
I doubt it wants to be there, so will get out as quickly as possible. Don't worry it's probably gone by now!
Reply 5
I feel your pain. Just sleep on your couch. It probably won't be as comfortable as a bed but at least your away from the spider
I would strip the bed and search the surrounding area!!! Wrap the bedcover around you with blankets to, that way you are are covered by a giant thick layer.

This is what I did after I watched the Women in black, had nightmares for ages.
Reply 7
Sleep on the sofa / man up
:rofl: Its under your bed last night?! It would have moved by now!!!
Reply 9
Either search your whole room in an attempt to find and remove the spider or just relax because it is in no way harmful.
Reply 10
This is a massive cliche but it's true: it's probably more scared of you than you are of it :smile:

I witnessed a pretty sizable eight-legged friend around my room last night, went to get them with the glass and when I came back it was gone. It could be anywhere. I was an arachnophonbe for years and am still overcoming the fear. But I thought, what's the worst that could happen?

I'm assuming you live in UK? In which case, you can relax. We have no venomous spiders here and to be honest, what we call big is laughable. (Look up trapdoor spider if you don't believe me, at your own peril :P)

Most critters are harmless until provoked, they just want somewhere to live while it's too hot, cold, dry or wet outside. Leave it be, it'll probably be gone by now

I hope this can help, just wanted to say you're not alone but there's nothing to be afraid of :hugs:
Original post by pandabird
Last night I witnessed a huge, black spider scuttle under my bed. Of course I could never have slept in my bed after seeing that, so I slept in my sisters bed which was luckily vacant for the night. However, today she has returned and I do not know what to do.

:facepalm:
Reply 12
Original post by Riku
T (Look up trapdoor spider if you don't believe me, at your own peril :P)

[video="youtube;ySXCdcnKBgg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySXCdcnKBgg[/video]

This is the cutest critter I have ever found... how can anyone be afraid of something so awesome? I want one.
Reply 13
Original post by This Excellency
:facepalm:

Facepalm all you like, arachnophobia is an irrational fear!
Reply 14
Original post by Riku
This is a massive cliche but it's true: it's probably more scared of you than you are of it :smile:

I witnessed a pretty sizable eight-legged friend around my room last night, went to get them with the glass and when I came back it was gone. It could be anywhere. I was an arachnophonbe for years and am still overcoming the fear. But I thought, what's the worst that could happen?

I'm assuming you live in UK? In which case, you can relax. We have no venomous spiders here and to be honest, what we call big is laughable. (Look up trapdoor spider if you don't believe me, at your own peril :P)

Most critters are harmless until provoked, they just want somewhere to live while it's too hot, cold, dry or wet outside. Leave it be, it'll probably be gone by now

I hope this can help, just wanted to say you're not alone but there's nothing to be afraid of :hugs:

Thanks for the encouraging reply! Well done for working on overcoming your phobia. I have been trying to overcome it, I can stay in the same room as one now at least, but the thought of sleeping with one under my bed is difficult to deal with!
Reply 15

EXACTLYYY,

people aren't understanding that it's not the fear of spiders hurting them, it's actually their presence and the thought of a spider being their and potentially touching their hairy butters little ugly skin on your face......... EUGHGHSDFGHSGDSDF I HATE THEM SO MUCH.

I would advice you sleep in another room until you find the spiders because you will meet the spider again!! and this is a good thing as you can kill it/destroy it/ set fire to it or torture it, good for nothing piece of s**t and then you can sleep a nice sleep (after you change your sheets of course)
If it was black then it is probably deadly and was probably about to give birth.

edit: that was intended to be tongue in cheek scare tactics and had no racial connotations.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17

You know you eat like loads of flies and bugs when you're asleep without knowing?
Spiders aren't that stupid, they don't go near sleeping humans because they're not interested.
Don't see why you're complaining, that little fella's probably getting rid of any insects what attempt to get into your house.
Relax, think of it as your knight in shining armor

That's not even a little bit true. While I'm not arachnophobic myself, I can say that there is an evolutionary basis to arachnophobia. The theory surrounds our ancestors being bitten and killed my certain poisonous spiders. Those who learned to avoid the spiders by fleeing were more likely to survive, and thus arachnophobia would become an advantageous trait. Nothing irrational about it.

Now something like Anatidaephobia...that is irrational.
Reply 19
Thank your stars that it's eating all the horrible flies for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending