The Student Room Group

To afraid to go to bed!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plainview
They're noisy and annoying, and I like spiders anyway. There's millions of flies knocking around outside with other places to live, so if there's a few spiders in my room to keep it clear of them then I'm happy.

I'm so glad we've both had the opportunity to air our respective positions on flies and spiders in the home.
Reply 41
Original post by Amplify
It's a British spider; it will do you no harm at all. It's hundreds of thousands of times smaller than you; what is it going to do?

Some of the bigger ones can penetrate human skin, but it's apparently not especially painful.
Reply 42
Original post by pandabird
Last night I witnessed a huge, black spider scuttle under my bed. Of course I could never have slept in my bed after seeing that, so I slept in my sisters bed which was luckily vacant for the night. However, today she has returned and I do not know what to do.
The thought of a spider under my bed petrifies me, help. :frown:

Btw it's

Too afraid to go to bed!!
Reply 43
Original post by Birkenhead
I'm so glad we've both had the opportunity to air our respective positions on flies and spiders in the home.

I agree with you, I actually kinda like flies, they listen to you commands to leave when you open the door, they general seem to want to leave my room when they come in anyway.
I wish there was a spider in my room to eat all the moths and flies and **** that have invaded. I was playing a game on my phone last night and this massive moth buzzed over the screen and farted its stupid silvery dust everywhere.
Reply 45
I'm sure it's gone by now? Hopefully you get some sleep soon! :redface:
Original post by jarasta
I agree with you, I actually kinda like flies, they listen to you commands to leave when you open the door, they general seem to want to leave my room when they come in anyway.

Excellent sarcasm skills. Really, bravo. Are you at Oxbridge? You must be at Oxbridge. What college was it? LSE at the very least. To summon the brainpower to superficially say one thing while subtly communicating the complete reverse. Quite remarkable. I've actually saved the link to this post on my desktop such is my esteem of it. I do hope so much that you continue to frequent this website and share with us all more linguistic gems like this.

If you have developed some semblance of physical co-ordination and cognition since exiting your mother's womb you should be capable of getting a fly out of your house with relative ease.
Last night I witnessed a huge, black spider scuttle under my bed. Of course I could never have slept in my bed after seeing that, so I slept in my sisters bed which was luckily vacant for the night. However, today she has returned and I do not know what to do.
The thought of a spider under my bed petrifies me, help. :frown:

OP if you're referring to the giant house spider

then you are infact playing host to the fastest arachnid on the planet, this ****er also bites though it's bites are harmless, sleep tight
Reply 48
Keep your room very clean and tidy. Spray insect repellent onto bed sheets and yourself to prevent bites. I usually use a vacuum to remove any crawling insects which kills them instantly (so keep a vacuum nearby).

Don't worry...the spiders are harmless!
I had the same problem last night... I was lying on my bed, just about to go to sleep and a big spider crawled right past me and then out of sight :frown: I was too scared to go to sleep at first (I know they aren't poisonous or anything but I just hate the feeling of insects crawling on me) but I just distracted myself with other things until I was so tired that I didn't really have much choice. The spider didn't bother me all night and I haven't seen it since. Like a lot of people have said, it's probably gone now.

Also even if it's still in your room (it probably isn't), chances are it's not going to crawl on you in the night, because compared to the spider you are a giant. It's probably more scared of you than you are of it. Hope you don't lose too much sleep over it :smile:
Spiders will NEVER climb on your face/mouth/skin or anywhere near that! Trust me I'm an ex-arachnophobe turned arachnophile. :biggrin:
Original post by Ho Chi Minh
It's a common misconception that we don't have venomous spiders in the UK actually, but if you don't live in the South you're probably fine - just putting it out there :tongue:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9541211.Dad_collapses_after_bite_by_UK_s_most_venomous_spider/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2130975/Woman-loses-hand-bitten-false-widow-spider.html

Every spider is venomous :P it's just that the ones in the UK don't have enough to do you any harm! Also, people can be allergic to spider venom/web/hairs and so can collapse due to them!
just kill the spider?
It is rational in that sense. I guess what I was referring to is that you can't rationalise it. Knowing they can't harm you makes no difference. It's not about safety, it's such a deep rooted fear that really has no place in our country, it's illogical. And I'd say that it is more debilitating than advantageous in this day and age.

If only I could replace house spiders with house snakes, that I would much prefer!

I agree that it can't be rationalised in this country, but as humans we're intrinsically conditioned on a genetic level to be weary of objects that look dangerous. Spiders look sinister, even though they are harmless.
Reply 54
So stupid
Original post by marcus2001
OP if you're referring to the giant house spider

then you are infact playing host to the fastest arachnid on the planet, this ****er also bites though it's bites are harmless, sleep tight

I have them in my room. I can actually hear them scuttle across the room. Thank god I have a cricket bat!
Original post by Sphodromantis
Every spider is venomous :P it's just that the ones in the UK don't have enough to do you any harm! Also, people can be allergic to spider venom/web/hairs and so can collapse due to them!

Well all but two species are technically venomous, yes. Most spiders don't possess fangs which are capable of piercing human skin or produce venom which is medically significant as far as bitten humans are concerned, true. And yes, you can't rule out extreme reactions. My point was simply that in the UK there do exist spiders that have the potential to deliver medically significant amounts of venom to humans, contrary to popular belief, and I was using this criterion as the implied casual definition of "venomous", as the poster I quoted did. :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by OWN4G3
Btw it's

Too afraid to go to bed!!

I do know that, just a mistake. :colondollar:

Tonight I shall sleep in my own bed! Thanks to the helpful replies guys.
Maybe this funny spider will help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLw-9dpHtcU

or this one...

Original post by BlackHawk
Maybe this funny spider will help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLw-9dpHtcU

or this one...

Funny spider? That species of spider would actually kill you :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending