The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

LGBT Firmers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Looking to seeing y'all in September, if I'm still here. all depends on this finance exam tomorrow.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
Don't know if this thread is still going but hey! I'm gay and hoping to study Law in September and am really interested in the LGBT society, so I look forward to meeting you all in a couple of months :P
Reply 22
Original post by Callumw3
Don't know if this thread is still going but hey! I'm gay and hoping to study Law in September and am really interested in the LGBT society, so I look forward to meeting you all in a couple of months :P

That's awesome, I'm also hoping to study Law this September! I'm optimistic about results but try to suppress the thoughts of results day because it's daunting. I look forward to studying with you and seeing you at the LGBT Soc!

:smile:
Reply 23
Add me to the list! I'm coming over from the States for this coming semester, so I'll see you guys around!
Reply 24
See you all in September! Studying IT. Gonna join the society, really regret not joining more when I was at Newcastle.
Reply 25
Original post by hopscans
Add me to the list! I'm coming over from the States for this coming semester, so I'll see you guys around!

Ooh, that's awesome. What are you studying? :hello:

Original post by AndrewH93
See you all in September! Studying IT. Gonna join the society, really regret not joining more when I was at Newcastle.

Are you moving Universities or starting another degree or something? I'm just a little confused about your reference to Newcastle.

I'm excited, can't wait to start Uni! :awesome:
Reply 26
Original post by Circles
Ooh, that's awesome. What are you studying? :hello:

Are you moving Universities or starting another degree or something? I'm just a little confused about your reference to Newcastle.

I'm excited, can't wait to start Uni! :awesome:

Dropped out during first year so starting fresh at Leeds! :smile:
Reply 27

That's awesome, what are you studying and where are you coming from? :biggrin:
Reply 28
I live/go to school in Maryland, studying civil engineering! I'm a senior here, so in my fourth year. :smile:
Reply 29
Not long to go, good luck with your results and I shall see you all next month :smile:
HI GUYS
I hope results day went well for you all, and you're all still heading to Leeds this summer.
As a society we've made a welcome video for the new freshers this year, so you can learn a bit about us and know who we are before you get here, with the aim of joining the society not being such a big step as some people can get nervous.
We also have our facebook page and our twitter account that is updated frequently.
Last but not least we have our regular LGBT club night, Curious?, having it's debut in freshers week. It's been a massive success in November and February, so we're adding another one. It's in the union building on Tuesday 24th Sept, with loads of drinks deals, and cheap entry (only £3.50 in advance!)
I hope to see you all in September, come and say hi if you see me around. (I'm the one with the pink hair in the video, and yes, I know it's very cringey.)
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2202528235/?fref=ts
Twitter - https://twitter.com/LeedsLGBT
Welcome video - http://t.co/LXK8F9JbwU
Curious? event page - http://www.leedstickets.com/eventinfo/3827/Curious
Reply 31
Original post by AndrewH93
Dropped out during first year so starting fresh at Leeds! :smile:

So you're going to be studying IT? That's great. I'm a bit of a computer-fanatic (a little 'geeky'), though without a doubt I'm not as intelligent as you, haha. Are you still heading to Leeds this September?

I live/go to school in Maryland, studying civil engineering! I'm a senior here, so in my fourth year. :smile:

Ooh, what an interesting subject. Have you been to the UK before?

Original post by ehsan111
Not long to go, good luck with your results and I shall see you all next month :smile:

I'm so excited! Just a few questions: How do I go about joining the LGBT Society? How many people usually join each year? Do people get on well and make lots of friends? :biggrin:

Original post by frangoddard
HI GUYS
I hope results day went well for you all, and you're all still heading to Leeds this summer.
As a society we've made a welcome video for the new freshers this year, so you can learn a bit about us and know who we are before you get here, with the aim of joining the society not being such a big step as some people can get nervous.
We also have our facebook page and our twitter account that is updated frequently.
Last but not least we have our regular LGBT club night, Curious?, having it's debut in freshers week. It's been a massive success in November and February, so we're adding another one. It's in the union building on Tuesday 24th Sept, with loads of drinks deals, and cheap entry (only £3.50 in advance!)
I hope to see you all in September, come and say hi if you see me around. (I'm the one with the pink hair in the video, and yes, I know it's very cringey.)
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2202528235/?fref=ts
Twitter - https://twitter.com/LeedsLGBT
Welcome video - http://t.co/LXK8F9JbwU
Curious? event page - http://www.leedstickets.com/eventinfo/3827/Curious

Thanks for the links, I'll certainly be looking into all of this! I got A*BB and fortunately got into Leeds to study Law (needed AAA but I was on this Pathways to Law course which boosted me in!).

I've never been to a club before (never been out drinking either, lol!) so there should be lots of interesting experiences, I just hope I don't get a bad reputation!

Kind Regards,

Circles.
Hey! I was wondering if anyone knew how good the support is for transgender students at Leeds or the experience of any transgender people already there. Not sure I'll find any on this thread, but it's worth a look :biggrin:
Original post by Saoirse:3
Hey! I was wondering if anyone knew how good the support is for transgender students at Leeds or the experience of any transgender people already there. Not sure I'll find any on this thread, but it's worth a look :biggrin:

Hey there.
In the LGBT society we offer welfare for all LGBT people in the university, and we have a specific Trans* welfare officer for this purpose. You can get in touch with th e welfare officers at [email protected], if you put Trans* welfare in the subject, Freya, our Trans* officer will get back to you, even if you have non-welfare related questions for her.
As I have seen in my year trans* people have a great time, and the union/university are very supportive. We as a society have also worked with the union to introduce gender neutral toilets into the union, as well as the gendered toilets.
I'm the events officer, and along with Freya we'll be having a few events based on trans* welfare and awareness through the year, and we are even planning on organising shopping trips and other events specifically for trans* people.
I hope this helps :smile:
Fran xx
Original post by Circles
I'm so excited! Just a few questions: How do I go about joining the LGBT Society? How many people usually join each year? Do people get on well and make lots of friends? :biggrin:

You can join the LGBT society through the union website (http://www.leedsuniversityunion.org.uk/groups/lgbt/. It costs £8, but you get a membership card that offers free and reduced entry to clubs and bars on the gay scene, plus a discount at Nice & Naughty (the sex shop on the gay scene...naughty)
I personal have gained my money back many times over for the card.
It might sound really cliched, but I've made some of my best friends at uni this year, purely through the LGBT society and people get on really well together. If you come along to coffee hour (12-2 every weekday during term time in the union building), you just get talking to people from there really, plus we have a meet and greet session so the freshers can meet each other and some existing members which is on the Sunday afternoon after freshers week :smile:
We're one of the most socially active and subscribed societies in the union, I can't give you a number off the top of my head though :P

Original post by Circles
I've never been to a club before (never been out drinking either, lol!) so there should be lots of interesting experiences, I just hope I don't get a bad reputation!

You can't get a worse reputation than some of the members already, i won't name any names, but I'm sure you'll find out when you get there, lets just say they like to get rather drunk all the time :P
If you want to experience the scene, come along to the Scene tour, which is on the monday night after freshers week, and we go to all the bars on the scene, and we get lots of goodies (basically lots of free shots!)

I hope to see you there :smile:
Fran xx
Hey there.
In the LGBT society we offer welfare for all LGBT people in the university, and we have a specific Trans* welfare officer for this purpose. You can get in touch with th e welfare officers at [email protected], if you put Trans* welfare in the subject, Freya, our Trans* officer will get back to you, even if you have non-welfare related questions for her.
As I have seen in my year trans* people have a great time, and the union/university are very supportive. We as a society have also worked with the union to introduce gender neutral toilets into the union, as well as the gendered toilets.
I'm the events officer, and along with Freya we'll be having a few events based on trans* welfare and awareness through the year, and we are even planning on organising shopping trips and other events specifically for trans* people.
I hope this helps :smile:
Fran xx

That's fantastic, thank you so much! I had no idea there was so much done to support tran* students :smile:
Original post by Saoirse:3
That's fantastic, thank you so much! I had no idea there was so much done to support tran* students :smile:

We value all our members so we offer help to them all, no matter how small the problem :smile:
Hopefully see you in september :smile: xx
Reply 37
we have a meet and greet session so the freshers can meet each other and some existing members which is on the Sunday afternoon after freshers week :smile:
We're one of the most socially active and subscribed societies in the union, I can't give you a number off the top of my head though :P

Now I'm even more excited, haha. Do you think you could provide more information about times and dates regarding events for freshers (events related to newcomers to the LGBT Society)? Please :smile: I'm just a little nervous as I come from a fairly small town so want to make a good first impression!

You can't get a worse reputation than some of the members already, i won't name any names, but I'm sure you'll find out when you get there, lets just say they like to get rather drunk all the time :P

Haha, sounds like lots of fun. Can't wait!

Kind Regards,

Circles.
Reply 38
Original post by Circles
So you're going to be studying IT? That's great. I'm a bit of a computer-fanatic (a little 'geeky'), though without a doubt I'm not as intelligent as you, haha. Are you still heading to Leeds this September?

Yeah, studying IT - I did Computer Science at Newcastle but really really hated it - bit too much for me so I wouldn't be so sure on the intelligence haha!

Still coming to Leeds, staying at The Tannery :smile:

Slightly gutted the Curious? social is the same night as the silent disco, i'm sure I'll manage both though! :tongue:
Reply 39
Original post by Circles
Ooh, what an interesting subject. Have you been to the UK before?

I haven't! Actually haven't managed to get myself out of North America (only been to Canada and the Carribbean), so when the opportunity to come live abroad presented itself I couldn't really pass it up!

Quick Reply

Latest