The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by Anonymous1717
Wow, five interviews! I've heard of this but at the Open Days and such they say you only have one or two?

Five interviews from three colleges :tongue:
Reply 461
Original post by amg_22

Which colleges? And were you successful in the end? That sounds really intense and nerve-racking
Original post by Jkizer
What competition are you entering?

Marshall Society
Original post by amg_22

Oh so if you're pooled you have to do more interviews? D:
And also did they make you do maths in them?
Reply 464
Original post by amg_22
After doing an EPQ last year I think there's a lot of useful advice I can share :smile:

I assume most of you are applying to Oxbridge so make sure you write a decent chunk of your ps on your EPQ. It looks very impressive if you are researching your own topic rather than just saying I read freakonomics... Also keep in mind the ones interviewing you will also be doing there own research so you will come off much better than a wannabe investment banker :tongue:

What you write is not really important. The marks come from planning, your project log etc. so you need to focus on writing something you can easily evaluate

Going back to you lot applying to Oxbridge try to make it so a very obvious questions can be asked from it eg: why was this the best method... I also included the coase theorm and we discussed this for 5-10 minutes. All obvious questions after reading what I wrote

In my fifth interview (yes fifth!) I was only asked one question on it but it took up a good 5 minutes of discussion. Luckily this was in January as I wouldn't of been prepared in December. So my last bit of advice is try to do most of the work before your interview! It allows you to focus the next few months on exams and the chances are you'll come across a lot of economic theory!

Any questions please ask!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey dude, I was wondering what did you discuss in your PS about your epq?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 465
Original post by keith111
Have you thought about places like Sheffield or Manchester, both AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is Manchester any good for Economics?

Does studying Economics at Manchester lead to you having good career prospects?
Reply 466
Am I the only one wanting to study Economics so I can break into Investment Banking and become the next Gordan Gekko? :cool::colone:

Haha jokes aside,

Is Manchester reputable for a course like Economics, because I'm fond of the university and wouldn't mind attending as long as the degree is right for me.

Having said this, I have no clue about Economics as a subject since I have not studied it (studying Chemistry, Mathematics and Sociology at A2) and just wanted to know whether being very very competent at maths required for the degree? How much is actually involved in the degree? Because in all honesty, I'm most competent at Chemistry and I don't even want to consider any course that I will not be able to cope with at university because the Mathematics content was too much for me.

I'm not terrible at Mathematics and achieving an A at A-Level is possible for me (also achieved A* at GCSE) as I don't find it too hard since I believe it's more a matter of how much practice you put in. Same with any subject really. It's not my weakest subject nor is it my strongest - I'm most suited at science (Chemistry) but the idea of Economics does interest me.

Should I be considering this course? Or am I more suited to something else (also considering Accounting & Finance or something scientific which leads to Pharmaceutical Consulting or even Patent Law - yes, broad I know :P)

Regards,
Chohan
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Chohan
Am I the only one wanting to study Economics so I can break into Investment Banking and become the next Gordan Gekko? :cool::colone:

Haha jokes aside,

Is Manchester reputable for a course like Economics, because I'm fond of the university and wouldn't mind attending as long as the degree is right for me.

Having said this, I have no clue about Economics as a subject since I have not studied it (studying Chemistry, Mathematics and Sociology at A2) and just wanted to know whether being very very competent at maths required for the degree? How much is actually involved in the degree? Because in all honesty, I'm most competent at Chemistry and I don't even want to consider any course that I will not be able to cope with at university because the Mathematics content was too much for me.

I'm not terrible at Mathematics and achieving an A at A-Level is possible for me (also achieved A* at GCSE) as I don't find it too hard since I believe it's more a matter of how much practice you put in. Same with any subject really. It's not my weakest subject nor is it my strongest - I'm most suited at science (Chemistry) but the idea of Economics does interest me.

Should I be considering this course? Or am I more suited to something else (also considering Accounting & Finance or something scientific which leads to Pharmaceutical Consulting or even Patent Law - yes, broad I know :P)

Regards,
Chohan

The extent of the maths content depends where you go really, however the maths content does seen to be linked with the performance/prestige of the university as most of the top ones require at least an A at A level maths. I'm not sure about Manchester but if their entry requirements state a specific grade required in maths A level then there will be a considerable amount of maths in the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 468
Original post by Bloxorus
The extent of the maths content depends where you go really, however the maths content does seen to be linked with the performance/prestige of the university as most of the top ones require at least an A at A level maths. I'm not sure about Manchester but if their entry requirements state a specific grade required in maths A level then there will be a considerable amount of maths in the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps a better way to distinguish the maths content is to look at whether the course is a BA or BSc and then look at the individual papers in the course. There is often a lot of choice and one can choose how much maths there is in the course

I say this because some unis like to make the maths grade a requirement in order to attract a higher caliber of students - but may end up accepting someone with a C in maths come results day if not all spaces are filled :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 469
Original post by Jkizer
Hey dude, I was wondering what did you discuss in your PS about your epq?

Posted from TSR Mobile

IIRC I wrote four lines. The first was what I did it on, the second was an argument I made using a theorem taught at undergraduate level, the third was a hint at my conclusion and finally I critiqued my conclusion by putting it down to the fall of communism.

Not sure how useful this will be... But hopefully you get the idea i.e. don't say I really enjoyed my EPQ as it allowed to me to so my own research and then not go into any detail

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 470
Oh so if you're pooled you have to do more interviews? D:
And also did they make you do maths in them?

Not always... But the quality of students for economics means that colleges looking to fish students have a choice of econ applicants and so will interview several in order to find the best ones. They really have nothing to lose from doing this which makes it seem like the logical explanation N.B. you only get called to another interview if you live in the UK

Maths was in all of my subject interviews. It's fairly straight forward content but the context really makes you think and it is by no means easy :tongue: there's also a lot of logic involved in it

Don't really want to go into more detail because of tsr rules :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 471
Original post by Giant
Which colleges? And were you successful in the end? That sounds really intense and nerve-racking
bbhj
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by amg_22
Not always... But the quality of students for economics means that colleges looking to fish students have a choice of econ applicants and so will interview several in order to find the best ones. They really have nothing to lose from doing this which makes it seem like the logical explanation N.B. you only get called to another interview if you live in the UK

Maths was in all of my subject interviews. It's fairly straight forward content but the context really makes you think and it is by no means easy :tongue: there's also a lot of logic involved in it

Don't really want to go into more detail because of tsr rules :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What TSR rules?

Hmmm I do further maths but I'm not sure if I could do the easiest things under pressure lol...

Thanks though, I appreciate it. :smile:
Any essay competitions except the Marshall Society and IEA?
Reply 474
Any essay competitions except the Marshall Society and IEA?

Dont think there is any others, have you entered them all or something? Should be more than enough tbh!
Original post by Jkizer
Dont think there is any others, have you entered them all or something? Should be more than enough tbh!

No I have been so busy recently, haven't really had time, and I'm going away now so I was hoping for one with a later closing date... Ty anyway!
No I have been so busy recently, haven't really had time, and I'm going away now so I was hoping for one with a later closing date... Ty anyway!

Do you think it's worth doing all 3? I've just entered the RES but the Marshall deadline is soon so I might do it.
Reply 477
Original post by NedStark
Do you think it's worth doing all 3? I've just entered the RES but the Marshall deadline is soon so I might do it.

There's no harm in it but seriously, what is the point? It's unlikely that you'll have space to be able to mention all 3 in your personal statement without it sounding like a list. 1 or 2 is enough. I suppose it would be good if you could win, then that would definitely be worth mentioning (but that might be difficult in a short space of time). Don't do it for the sake of it. Vary it up a bit so maybe you could read a book, attend a lecture, get some work experience, work on an EPQ or even just relax (it is summer after all :tongue: ).
Original post by Giant
There's no harm in it but seriously, what is the point? It's unlikely that you'll have space to be able to mention all 3 in your personal statement without it sounding like a list. 1 or 2 is enough. I suppose it would be good if you could win, then that would definitely be worth mentioning (but that might be difficult in a short space of time). Don't do it for the sake of it. Vary it up a bit so maybe you could read a book, attend a lecture, get some work experience, work on an EPQ or even just relax (it is summer after all :tongue: ).

True I haven't done much relaxing since exams finished. I suppose I'll leave it since I won't have space for it all in my personal statement (which I have yet to start!). Might give Marshall a go since they have some interesting titles.
Reply 479
Original post by NedStark
True I haven't done much relaxing since exams finished. I suppose I'll leave it since I won't have space for it all in my personal statement (which I have yet to start!). Might give Marshall a go since they have some interesting titles.

Good Luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending