The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
He's refusing to change it so he can chat up other girls, simple as that. If you hadn't asked him to change it then this may be the case but you have so why else wouldn't he change it?
I kind of get OP.

When my ex dumped me she put her status on single like probably the moment she went to use her computer. That hurt.

On the other hand, think about it this way, it's just a stupid website and he might just not care about it and use it solely to stay in touch with people?
Don't worry about Facebook. Its only one social network. Though I can see why you are irritated by it, and you have the right to be. :smile:
If its really getting on your nerves, you can always ask him about it - but I do hope you're not too obsessed over the Facebook status thing.

I didn't change my status for several months because I couldn't be bothered with the "attention" people give there. I only changed it when my boyfriend was bored enough to change both our information to avoid the superficial girls who kept flirting with him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
I don't get this whole "a relationship is official once it's on Facebook" thing. Since when did a social media site define whether you're together or not. Who cares??
Reply 24
Original post by spiral87
My mate has a baby and a house with his girlfriend. His Facebook still says 'Single'. Some people just do not give a **** about Facebook.

I think for something so insignificant though, which bothers you so much, he should change it.

Ah, reading this and other replies makes me feel a bit better! Thing is, he's the type of person who I seem to need to nag quite a bit to get him to do certain things. For example, when we started being long distant, it took him a whole month and constant nagging from me to add me on Skype, as he was a bit lazy and busy and doesn't use it to talk to anyone else apart from me. The Facebook thing only bothers me a tiny bit, but I dunno if it's even worth nagging about again for the 4th time. I think I'm just sometimes annoyed at him not thinking the same way i do. But oh well, I'll maybe just leave it for now and concentrate on the actual relationship lol!
Reply 25
Original post by bembem
Maybe hes ashamed to admit you are his girlfriend?

I also have this slight worry at the back of my mind. I grew up with people constantly bullying me and no other decent guy wanting to date me until my current boyfriend, so sometimes I do feel like "this is too good to be true!". Maybe I'm reading too much into it though.

Original post by Chocolatesoup
If it bothers you that much then try sending him a relationship request and see if he accepts it? It could be he really doesn't bother about fb, but this seems to be more about trust, do you think he's kept it single cos he wants to appear single? Do you really think he's that type of person who's playing around? Only you can tell that. You can either know from who he is that it's really a case of him not being bothered about fb, or something's wrong. I'm sure it's the former though! :smile:

I actually do trust him, as he seems to really like me and not be the type to play around. I'm just more annoyed at how lazy and reluctant he is to make that small change to just hide it out of respect for me. But eh, what can I do, I guess it's just something I have to accept and move on from.
Reply 26
Original post by Anonymous
Ah, reading this and other replies makes me feel a bit better! Thing is, he's the type of person who I seem to need to nag quite a bit to get him to do certain things. For example, when we started being long distant, it took him a whole month and constant nagging from me to add me on Skype, as he was a bit lazy and busy and doesn't use it to talk to anyone else apart from me. The Facebook thing only bothers me a tiny bit, but I dunno if it's even worth nagging about again for the 4th time. I think I'm just sometimes annoyed at him not thinking the same way i do. But oh well, I'll maybe just leave it for now and concentrate on the actual relationship lol!

What's he like in other areas of the relationship? Is he thoughtful? Does he surprise you with gifts or nights out?

Maybe I'm just more clingy than your boyfriend, but it wouldn't take me a month of nagging to add you to Skype if that was our best/easiest method of communication and I'd change over the Facebook thing because even if it didn't bother me, it bothers you.

I would quit the nagging altogether though personally, don't let it seem like he's under your thumb :smile: Ask him once, if he doesn't do it, he doesn't do it. It shouldn't take desperate measures to do get him to do something so straightforward.
Reply 27
Original post by RightSaidJames
Why should it matter? It's only a website.

Right said, James :smile:
It's the relationship in real life that matters and not just some silly status on facebook
Reply 29
Original post by spiral87
What's he like in other areas of the relationship? Is he thoughtful? Does he surprise you with gifts or nights out?

Maybe I'm just more clingy than your boyfriend, but it wouldn't take me a month of nagging to add you to Skype if that was our best/easiest method of communication and I'd change over the Facebook thing because even if it didn't bother me, it bothers you.

I would quit the nagging altogether though personally, don't let it seem like he's under your thumb :smile: Ask him once, if he doesn't do it, he doesn't do it. It shouldn't take desperate measures to do get him to do something so straightforward.

Yes, he does do those thoughtful things sometimes. At least before adding me on Skype he would still regularly have Facebook messaging conversations with me, so at least that was something. I do think he's a great guy and a lovely boyfriend, I guess we just don't see eye to eye on everything, which can sometimes rub me up the wrong way a bit! He's also not as big with computers as I am, so I guess I should take that into consideration.
stop worrying about it, just send him a relationship request and it's done.
Reply 31
Original post by superxo2
stop worrying about it, just send him a relationship request and it's done.

I'm not sure that will help as he's already told me he doesn't like announcing his relationships on Facebook. I'd just prefer if he at least hid his status instead of it publicly saying "single", but I dunno how to get him to do that.

Original post by Foo.mp3
After 4 months? Little shady.. not gonna lie ~ mind you I'm no saint in this regard myself so (don't keep single status up but instead elect not to disclose)..

Why, do you hide your status for shady reasons yourself? :s-smilie:
Reply 32
Read a few replies...I like the comment on not disclosing. Especially since its a long distance relationship... Just feel communication is key. When u change it to undisclosed it doesn't even announce that ur relationship status has changed. I'm on ur coz I get the strain distance puts on relationships and it takes a maturity to make it work. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never update Facebook or Twitter.

I don't think I've even bothered with a relationship status. Ever.

It means nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I often find that people who brag about their personal lives all over facebook are those who have the least to brag about. So I wouldn't worry, OP. If you know in your own heart that he's serious about you, then be happy with that. You're luckier than many people. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I kind of get OP.

When my ex dumped me she put her status on single like probably the moment she went to use her computer. That hurt.

On the other hand, think about it this way, it's just a stupid website and he might just not care about it and use it solely to stay in touch with people?

Girls like to do that to get all the "likes" and comments saying "You're better off" or whatever. Mine did it too, all her uni friends jumped on that **** in seconds.
Reply 36
With all the relationship stress, facebook should consider getting rid of this question
You are massively over-analyzing this. If you don't want people to know that you're in a relationship don't put it on your profile or rather tell him not to put it on his profile. Having said that, if you are serious about your relationship and are going to spend time together and are in for the medium to long haul then really you have to accept that people will find out about it whether you are on facebook or not, and by trying to hide this fact you may inadvertently bring more attention to yourself as "the girl who didn't want people to know she was going out with XYZ".

I'd say stop over-analyzing minor issues and spend more time being together with your other half.
Nobody - gives - a - ****
Reply 39
Original post by medic_armadillo7
You are massively over-analyzing this. If you don't want people to know that you're in a relationship don't put it on your profile or rather tell him not to put it on his profile. Having said that, if you are serious about your relationship and are going to spend time together and are in for the medium to long haul then really you have to accept that people will find out about it whether you are on facebook or not, and by trying to hide this fact you may inadvertently bring more attention to yourself as "the girl who didn't want people to know she was going out with XYZ".

I'd say stop over-analyzing minor issues and spend more time being together with your other half.

Wait, what? You seem to be missing the point here. I'm not actively trying to hide my boyfriend from the world, not at all. I've told many people about him; my family, my friends, my workmates, etc. And for that matter, if I wanted people to know about my relationship, I'd rather they heard it straight from me telling them, than just seeing it on a status change on Facebook.

Did you even read my OP properly? The main issue is just my slight annoyance at him keeping his status publicly displaying that he's single despite being in a relationship with me, and I've asked him a few times to at the very least hide it but he won't, I'm guessing out of laziness more than anything.

But I agree with the part where you say I'm over-analyzing a minor issue, which is properly true of me, and I should probably chill and try to stop doing that. Us being LDR is stressful enough for me and that probably makes me feel a bit more insecure about this stuff.

Latest

Trending

Trending