The Student Room Group

If you had to kill the animals yourself, would you still eat meat?

Scroll to see replies

This reminds me of Minecraft. :tongue:
But yes, I'd still eat them - but not all of the animals. Probably just the sea creatures.
Yes I would, it's in my blood to do so.
Reply 42
If I had to kill it that'd make me more inclined to eat it, I wouldn't want to just waste it.
I would wait until they died naturally.
Reply 44
Original post by marcusfox
It depends on the arbitrary moral line you have set yourself, and are trying to project as being at a level appropriate for the rest of society. You obviously have set the line at eating fish and not other animals for a reason, and the most common one pescetarians use to make that decision is the value judgement is that fish are somehow OK to kill but higher lifeforms (such as pigs, sheep and cows) aren't.

You have decided that you are fine with eating fish, so have told yourself that if you couldn't get fish from a supermarket, you'd be fine with going out and getting your own.

Millions of vegetarians and vegans the world over would be horrified.

Realistically speaking there isn't that much difference between clubbing a fish to death and sticking a knife in a pig - it's just that fish don't have cute little faces

That's a bit like saying there isn't much difference between killing a fly and a stag-beetle. Pigs have a lot of fat and are, generally speaking, large, strong animals. And to kill a fish I would try and use the most humane way possible, (rendering the fish unconscious first), which wouldn't be to club it to death.

Also, if I thought like that I wouldn't have any qualms about killing larger fish, like tuna. But there is obviously a difference in difficulty between holding a sardine down and holding a massive salmon or something like that down.
Reply 45
Original post by Bill_Gates
I would wait until they died naturally.

You might be waiting quite a while...
Reply 46
I have done so many times before. You know how when you cook food yourself it tends to taste nicer? It's like that. You know how fresh that meat is and where it's been - it has a psychological effect on you.
Reply 47
Original post by Fat-Love
I have done so many times before. You know how when you cook food yourself it tends to taste nicer? It's like that. You know how fresh that meat is and where it's been - it has a psychological effect on you.

Just out of interest do you live on a farm? Or do you have animals in your back yard? How does it work? I can totally understand how it would be a sort of relief to know where it's from and everything!
Reply 48
Original post by marcusfox
It depends on the arbitrary moral line you have set yourself, and are trying to project as being at a level appropriate for the rest of society. You obviously have set the line at eating fish and not other animals for a reason, and the most common one pescetarians use to make that decision is the value judgement is that fish are somehow OK to kill but higher lifeforms (such as pigs, sheep and cows) aren't.

You have decided that you are fine with eating fish, so have told yourself that if you couldn't get fish from a supermarket, you'd be fine with going out and getting your own.

Millions of vegetarians and vegans the world over would be horrified.

Realistically speaking there isn't that much difference between clubbing a fish to death and sticking a knife in a pig - it's just that fish don't have cute little faces.

This many times - there is no well defined line of what's right and what's wrong in terms of killing. It's just an arbitrary line that everyone decides themselves on what they're comfortable. Vegetarians decide that plants are low enough life forms to warrant killing and some stop at animals.
Reply 49
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Just out of interest do you live on a farm? Or do you have animals in your back yard? How does it work? I can totally understand how it would be a sort of relief to know where it's from and everything!

Nope central london born and raised - when my parents and I go bangladesh I have helped. People tend to gather their meat locally there.

It's a mix of both. Some animals in our gardens and lands and some we go out and specifically buy to slaughter at a later time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes
Reply 51
Original post by Fat-Love
Nope central london born and raised - when my parents and I go bangladesh I have helped. People tend to gather their meat locally there.

It's a mix of both. Some animals in our gardens and some we go out and specifically buy to slaughter at a later time.

Ah I see.
I think I could probably kill it but I have severe doubts in my butchering skills.
No just thinking about it makes me sick
That's a bit like saying there isn't much difference between killing a fly and a stag-beetle. Pigs have a lot of fat and are, generally speaking, large, strong animals. And to kill a fish I would try and use the most humane way possible, (rendering the fish unconscious first), which wouldn't be to club it to death.

Also, if I thought like that I wouldn't have any qualms about killing larger fish, like tuna. But there is obviously a difference in difficulty between holding a sardine down and holding a massive salmon or something like that down.

Well, there isn't much difference at all in killing a fly and a stag beetle.

Don't try to pretend there is much difference between killing a fish and a pig, you know full well I was discussing the moral perspective as thats what your thread was asking with your question, "Do you think you could bring yourself to kill your own food..."

Now you're twisting and wriggling, quibbling over the semantic definitions of 'ability', taken now to mean 'physical ability', when all along it was pretty clear you were implying that humanity should have some sort of moral impediment to prevent them slaughtering cuddly animals with cute faces and sentience.

I'll cover physical ability anyway. Humans have evolved large brains to make a judgement on the best way to kill an animal depending on what it is. If it's a fish, they can just whack it on the side of a boat. If it's a small pig they have trapped in a pen, they can hold it down and stick a knife in it, if its a large wild pig with tusks, they can chase it on horseback and spear it, or bring it down with a rifle bullet.

Out of interest, what humane method do you use to render fish unconscious without the use of force?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 55
Not sure really, I would like to think that I could. So, I'm unsure... Saying 'yes I could' does not exactly mean a lot unless you actually try or do it.
Reply 56
Honestly I probably wouldn't.
I'd miss meat though :frown:
I'd probably eat it if someone else killed it like my mum or something but myself? Nah I can barely kill a spider.
You might be waiting quite a while...

I would keep quite a live stock. To be honest meat should be a treat not something you eat all the time.
Reply 58
This is when being a vegetarian comes in handy... don't have to feel the guilt at the end! :smile:
I would, I know I would be fine with that.

I mean, it would be inconvenient, and make eating meat more effort but I would have no qualms otherwise.
Original post by Canaduh
This is when being a vegetarian comes in handy... don't have to feel the guilt at the end! :smile:

Don't have to? I'm not sure guilt is a requirement. I'm pretty sure most people don't think eating meat is something you should feel guilty about. At the end of the day though people are removed from the reality but they are not unaware of it.

Quick Reply

Latest