The Student Room Group

First day of sixth form

Hey guys
September is drawing closer so I'm starting getting nervous/excited about starting sixth form.
i'm Italian so I've got no idea how the first day in the UK goes etc so I decided I was going to ask it here! I'm starting year 12 at a boarding school in the north east and hmm.. Yes, I'll be taking a-levels. (HELP!)
so, what happens on the first day of yr12? Do you just go in and start classes straight away or what?
Any tips on what to bring in and what to wear? (We have a formal dress code)
i know it probably depends on the school but I would like to hear what your first day was like just to get an idea of what might happen!
thanks in advance!
peace! xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Livy97
Hey guys
September is drawing closer so I'm starting getting nervous/excited about starting sixth form.
i'm Italian so I've got no idea how the first day in the UK goes etc so I decided I was going to ask it here! I'm starting year 12 at a boarding school in the north east and hmm.. Yes, I'll be taking a-levels. (HELP!)
so, what happens on the first day of yr12? Do you just go in and start classes straight away or what?
i know it probably depends on the school but I would like to hear what your first day was like just to get an idea of what might happen!
thanks in advance!
peace! xxx

The first day I found is just introduction to the whole system and school.
Whether you get a tour not sure but usually you have like 1hr sessions with your lessons and they just blab about what your gonna learn and how to keep working and stuff.
School pictures might happen also so look pretty in case :biggrin: don't want your mum yapping how your hair is sticking up (me :frown: )
Boarding school tells me your gonna have to bring a lot of your own clothing, and formal tells me little skin showing and shirts :tongue:
Many people will be at the same boat so 9/10 will be happy to make friends :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My first day at sixth form was very relaxed. They introduced us to what we would be learning, and got us to start working on a little project (Nothing difficult, just to give us an idea of what to expect). I guess it will depend on what subjects you're doing (The above was for media). Formal dress code sounds like you will have to dress smart. You might want to email the school and find out. Making friends should be easy, once you are past that awkward first conversation bit. Just try and talk to people in your lessons.
Original post by Livy97
Hey guys
I'm starting year 12 at a boarding school in the north east and hmm.. Yes, I'll be taking a-levels. (HELP!)
peace! xxx

I remember reading somewhere that you're going to Darlington... if so i think I've been to your (soon to be new) school a few times or played sport against them. (This makes me sound like a stalker). Only saw the senior school boys though...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Jkizer
The first day I found is just introduction to the whole system and school.
Whether you get a tour not sure but usually you have like 1hr sessions with your lessons and they just blab about what your gonna learn and how to keep working and stuff.
School pictures might happen also so look pretty in case :biggrin: don't want your mum yapping how your hair is sticking up (me :frown: )
Boarding school tells me your gonna have to bring a lot of your own clothing, and formal tells me little skin showing and shirts :tongue:
Many people will be at the same boat so 9/10 will be happy to make friends :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! :smile: thank you!
Yeah, I was expecting a lot of blab about what are we going to do in the next two years and lectures about working hard blah blah.
haha really hope there won't be any school pictures cause I look pretty much like a zombie in the morning!
what did you bring in on you first day? I actually asked some people who go to my school and they told me they're just giving us planners.. Did you bring notepads, pens etc?
Reply 5
Original post by EXTREMEninja
My first day at sixth form was very relaxed. They introduced us to what we would be learning, and got us to start working on a little project (Nothing difficult, just to give us an idea of what to expect). I guess it will depend on what subjects you're doing (The above was for media). Formal dress code sounds like you will have to dress smart. You might want to email the school and find out. Making friends should be easy, once you are past that awkward first conversation bit. Just try and talk to people in your lessons.

Thank you so much! :smile: I don't think I will have to do a project though as I'm taking English literature, German, history, politics and RS
Original post by Livy97
Yeah, I was expecting a lot of blab about what are we going to do in the next two years and lectures about working hard blah blah.
haha really hope there won't be any school pictures cause I look pretty much like a zombie in the morning!
what did you bring in on you first day? I actually asked some people who go to my school and they told me they're just giving us planners.. Did you bring notepads, pens etc?

The school should supply you with exercise books (to write stuff down) but they will always expect you to bring your own stationery, like pens, ruler, pencil, etc/
Reply 7
Original post by Astrtricks
I remember reading somewhere that you're going to Darlington... if so i think I've been to your (soon to be new) school a few times or played sport against them. (This makes me sound like a stalker). Only saw the senior school boys though...

That's true indeed! I'm going to Polam Hall :smile: do you live in Darlington too?
And I bet your school won the matches.. Polam's not so strong at sports :')
Reply 8
Original post by James A
The school should supply you with exercise books (to write stuff down) but they will always expect you to bring your own stationery, like pens, ruler, pencil, etc/

Aw great! :smile: thanks!
Original post by Livy97
Hey guys
thanks in advance!
peace! xxx

most colleges have induction days where the first 2 days consists of activities whereby the teachers try to get the students to work together howver i dont know if they do this at sixthform as most the students would already know each other. just wear formal clothes but not too formal (it depends if your school is posh). just smile and be yourself :biggrin:
Original post by Livy97
Hey guys
thanks in advance!
peace! xxx

most colleges have induction days where the first 2 days consists of activities whereby the teachers try to get the students to work together and thereby get to know eachother howver i dont know if they do this at sixthform as most the students would already know each other. just wear formal clothes but not too formal (it depends if your school is posh). just smile and be yourself :biggrin:
Original post by Livy97
That's true indeed! I'm going to Polam Hall :smile: do you live in Darlington too?
And I bet your school won the matches.. Polam's not so strong at sports :')

Nope, quiet far away although my father use to live their and I've been there many a time. Yeah we won although last year we were particularly good at rugby... now people don't turn up, which is a problem when you can only choose from <30 boys.
Original post by Livy97
Thank you so much! :smile: I don't think I will have to do a project though as I'm taking English literature, German, history, politics and RS

No problem. Yeah, they will probably just go over what you will learn. Five subjects eh? Have fun with those :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Secretnerd123
most colleges have induction days where the first 2 days consists of activities whereby the teachers try to get the students to work together howver i dont know if they do this at sixthform as most the students would already know each other. just wear formal clothes but not too formal (it depends if your school is posh). just smile and be yourself :biggrin:

Thanks! :biggrin:
i don't think it's too posh, just a small private school :smile:
smiling will make it!
Reply 14
Nope, quiet far away although my father use to live their and I've been there many a time. Yeah we won although last year we were particularly good at rugby... now people don't turn up, which is a problem when you can only choose from <30 boys.

Aw I see :smile:
That's same problem Polam has :smile: few boys to choose from haha
Reply 15
Original post by EXTREMEninja
No problem. Yeah, they will probably just go over what you will learn. Five subjects eh? Have fun with those :smile:

Thanks! Five subjects will be hard but I wanted a challenge :smile:
Original post by Livy97
Aw I see :smile:
That's same problem Polam has :smile: few boys to choose from haha

78% girls in my school, not sure if thats a good thing though :tongue: there was one year with 6 boys & 40ish girls in prep... Although my year has a lot more boys than other.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Livy97

All i did was bring my a few pens, a pad of paper and a phone.
Usually the introductory lessons will give you textbooks and sometimes if your lucky a book like your in school to write stuff :biggrin:
Planners are cool, we got 1 too.... though its like a6 size.... and i never used it hehe.
The school pictures were for us to buy, but mainly for identification for the teachers

Good luck ! :smile:
Reply 18
78% girls in my school, not sure if thats a good thing though :tongue: there was one year with 6 boys & 40ish girls in prep... Although my year has a lot more boys than other.

Polam used to be all-girls until 2011 or something so you can imagine :')
Haha it must be good for boys to have loads of girls around lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Livy97
Aw great! :smile: thanks!

It might be sensible to get a file to store all the introductory sheets you'll get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending